News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

I hope the rest of the forum doesn't read this thread and keeps on thinking we're a bunch of smug lovers up here.

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

A CBC reporter tweets out that Maxime Bernier has been arrested by the RCMP in Manitoba.

https://twitter.com/karenpaulscbc/status/1403431838442430465
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Barrister

Quote from: Oexmelin on June 11, 2021, 02:54:48 PM
oh no

Why "oh no"?

My working theory is he was arrested for failing to quarantine for 14 days after entering Manitoba.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Barrister on June 11, 2021, 02:56:55 PM
Why "oh no"?

Mostly shitposting (see: oh no memes) because I think Bernier is a blight on the Canadian political life and climate. 
Que le grand cric me croque !

Barrister

Quote from: Oexmelin on June 11, 2021, 03:03:51 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 11, 2021, 02:56:55 PM
Why "oh no"?

Mostly shitposting (see: oh no memes) because I think Bernier is a blight on the Canadian political life and climate.

Gotcha.

This seems to be a pro-Bernier site but sets out the basic facts:

https://www.thecountersignal.com/news/bernier-arrested

Bernier was told he needed to isolate for 14 days after entering MB.

Bernier was ticketed earlier in the day and warned he would be arrested.

When Bernier kept up his tour, he was in fact arrested.

But the best part is if you go to his twitter feed and see the size of crowds he was attracting - why there might have been 12 people there!  :o

https://twitter.com/MaximeBernier

Barrister

Justice Mahmud Jamal nominated to the SCC.

Interesting background to the guy (who I've never heard of before).  Born in Kenya to an Ismaili family of Indian origin, they then migrated to the UK and then Canada eventually settling in Edmonton.  He joined the Bahai faith after marrying his wife.  Studied at the LSE, got his law degree at McGill, and a graduate degree at Yale.  He has taught law at McGill and Osgoode Hall, and was appointed to the Ontario Court of Appeal in 2019.

He certainly seems qualified, and I can see why Trudeau would pick him (diversity!), but have no idea what his judicial philosophy or tendencies would be like.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/mahmud-jamal-supreme-court-1.6069406

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on June 17, 2021, 02:12:38 PM
Justice Mahmud Jamal nominated to the SCC.

Interesting background to the guy (who I've never heard of before).  Born in Kenya to an Ismaili family of Indian origin, they then migrated to the UK and then Canada eventually settling in Edmonton.  He joined the Bahai faith after marrying his wife.  Studied at the LSE, got his law degree at McGill, and a graduate degree at Yale.  He has taught law at McGill and Osgoode Hall, and was appointed to the Ontario Court of Appeal in 2019.

He certainly seems qualified, and I can see why Trudeau would pick him (diversity!), but have no idea what his judicial philosophy or tendencies would be like.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/mahmud-jamal-supreme-court-1.6069406

I am very happy with his legal experience.  We need another justice who is well versed in Administrative law.  It will be interesting to see what this does to the consensus that seemed to be developing in Vavilov around the position Justice Brown and Cote have been taking for a number of years (namely that the court has an important judicial oversight responsibility) vs the one Abella had been taking of giving more deference to administrative decision makers.

My hope is that this appointment will bring some certainty to the judgments of the court in this area and we can start seeing more clarity of direction to the lower courts.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on June 10, 2021, 09:03:28 PM
Jagmeet Singh wears a turban. He does not to my knowledge insist that anyone else wears one. Is he an extremist?
He has proven he can not seperate his religion & ethnicity from his work as representing all Canadians, so in my opinion, yes he is.

The Jews at my parents' synagogue who choose to wear a kippah on a daily basis, are they extremists?
Religious integrists, at the very least.  Lots of Jews don't wear a kippah.

The Muslim women who feel that their hair is an intimate body part and prefer to cover it when among strangers, are they extremists?
Yes, they are, but as long as they represent themselves and only themselves, it's their problem. You and I both know it ain't the case, and women aren't the most insistant to have it worn by all women in the first place.

Unlike Canadians, I disagree that calling a women "slut" over her refusal to wier a veil should be accepted behavior.

Nor do I agree that Catholic instutitions should be free to exert discriminations in whom gets adopted by whom.  Imho, the fact that some restaurants&clubs will allow blacks inside does not give a pass to the commercial venue that refuses to serve black folks. 

But hey, freedom of religion must prime on everything else, so go at it if you want to. Just leave us out of it.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

So Trudeau's appointment of three "independent" senators yesterday included a 2 time former Liberal Party candidate, and a labour leader who was vocal about wanting his union to break ties with the NDP and was vocal in supporting various Trudeau-led initiatives.

Grey Fox

They need to pass C-10 right now. BCE demands it.

Robellus are to the Liberals what Oil cies are to the Cons.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on June 11, 2021, 10:06:31 AM
It isn't. But a family was brutally murdered by some Ontario racist. The topic we should be discussing is Ontario racism, not Quebec bashing.
that concerns Ontario, and Canada.  As much as I am concerned, it could have hapenned in NYC and I'd still be horrified.  But I wouldn't blame Canadian laws&political climate for what happens in the US.

Yeah, I am self-centered when people try to blame me for their problems.  Stupid self ignoring racists.  Always the other's problems.  Racism?  Nah, it's the US.  Oh here?  Nah, it's Quebec.
Look in your own stupid mirror.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jacob

I agree - I think this is the third or fourth time I've said it - that the brutal racist murder is an Ontario problem, is an English Canada problem, is a Canadian problem, and that it doesn't really have anything to do with Quebec. And I agree that any journalist or politician who's trying to shift the blame to Quebec is at best being foolish or disingenuous, but that it is very likely that they're being racist shitheels in more ways than one.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on June 23, 2021, 03:47:58 PM
Quote from: Jacob on June 11, 2021, 10:06:31 AM
It isn't. But a family was brutally murdered by some Ontario racist. The topic we should be discussing is Ontario racism, not Quebec bashing.
that concerns Ontario, and Canada.  As much as I am concerned, it could have hapenned in NYC and I'd still be horrified.  But I wouldn't blame Canadian laws&political climate for what happens in the US.

Yeah, I am self-centered when people try to blame me for their problems.  Stupid self ignoring racists.  Always the other's problems.  Racism?  Nah, it's the US.  Oh here?  Nah, it's Quebec.
Look in your own stupid mirror.

Viper you're replying to a post from 12 days ago.  Nobody here is blaming Quebec.  You're the one who keeps bringing Quebec up.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on June 23, 2021, 04:53:03 PM
Nobody here is blaming Quebec.  You're the one who keeps bringing Quebec up.
CC explicitely said so.  A position defended by all english Canadian medias.