And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Jacob on June 08, 2021, 08:08:32 PM
Quote from: viper37 on June 08, 2021, 07:42:55 PM
No one is talking about the London (On) attacks?

I was surprised I did not see a column or editorial in the National Post or Globe&Mail about how all this is because of Ontarians racist attitudes toward "strangers" (as in, visibile minorities).  I'd sure thought they'd do the same as they usually do for Quebec.  I guess it'll be there tomorrow.

Last I read, they had reason to believe he killed them because they were Muslim. If that's true, it seems a bit early to whine about how people blame racists.

That poor kid :(

... for those not in the now, some guy deliberately drove his truck over a Muslim family, killing the mother, father, kids... leaving a nine year old boy as the only survivor.

Heh I think Viper's point is slightly different - as usual, he is using this tragedy to flog his favorite hobby horse, that the real crime here is how Quebec is portrayed in the media.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

I don't think anyone can expect the Rightwing national media to point a finger at their own racism.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on June 09, 2021, 09:32:16 AM

I was surprised I did not see a column or editorial in the National Post or Globe&Mail about how all this is because of Ontarians racist attitudes toward "strangers" (as in, visibile minorities).  I'd sure thought they'd do the same as they usually do for Quebec.  I guess it'll be there tomorrow.

Last I read, they had reason to believe he killed them because they were Muslim. If that's true, it seems a bit early to whine about how people blame racists.

... for those not in the now, some guy deliberately drove his truck over a Muslim family, killing the mother, father, kids... leaving a nine year old boy as the only survivor.

Heh I think Viper's point is slightly different - as usual, he is using this tragedy to flog his favorite hobby horse, that the real crime here is how Quebec is portrayed in the media.

I was not sure what he was talking about.  There were a number of stories in the Globe regarding the problems with Islamophobia.

Also a reminder that when people like Otto show up here to spread their hate filled filth they should be confronted.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 09, 2021, 09:42:25 AM
I don't think anyone can expect the Rightwing national media to point a finger at their own racism.

Don't join the fuckery.

Zoupa

One of the first questions to Justin Trudeau from journalists was "how does law 21 on laicity factor in to this tragedy". Same kind of questions to the leader of the Bloc Quebecois.

Kinda sad. Anglophones will go to any lengths to not look at their own racism. Somehow it's always someone else's fault.

Josephus

Quote from: Malthus on June 09, 2021, 09:27:56 AM
I don't understand how this could be a politicized matter here. There is no political party in Canada that is likely to argue that randomly murdering people who happen to be Muslim is *not* an evil action.

What is required is sincere condolences to the family and community, and a stern commitment to combat anti-Muslim bigotry specifically.

yeah but did we need eight politicians to make speeches, is my point.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Jacob

Quote from: Zoupa on June 09, 2021, 10:41:26 AM
One of the first questions to Justin Trudeau from journalists was "how does law 21 on laicity factor in to this tragedy". Same kind of questions to the leader of the Bloc Quebecois.

Kinda sad. Anglophones will go to any lengths to not look at their own racism. Somehow it's always someone else's fault.

From an Anglophone journalists? That's fucked up.

I have a pretty hard time seeing how Quebec laws (whatever problems I may have with them) are much of a factor for some Anglo guy carrying out a hate crime in Ontario.

viper37

police immediatly said they were targetter because they were a Muslim family.  Exactly the same as the Bissonnette attack on the Quebec mosquee, albeit with less victims. 

Not that it changes the tragedy of what happened.  That poor orphan boy :(

I was just using the tragedy to illustrate, once more, the difference in treatment between similar acts in English Canada vs Quebec.

On another note, I heard part of the Imam's speech yesterday night, I quite like the part I heard.  "It is our country and we are here to stay", as well as preaching for tolerance on all sides.  Even though it's gonna get twisted by the far right nuts ("see, they admit we're no longer home and they're making the law!")

Inspiring speech, for the part I watched.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

I don't understand how this could be a politicized matter here. There is no political party in Canada that is likely to argue that randomly murdering people who happen to be Muslim is *not* an evil action.
No, but some political parties are going to spin this like it's happening because of the other political party's rethoric.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Not the "real" crime here, but another crime, albeit of lesser value, since no one from Quebec died.
Nonetheless, it shouldn't be ignored.  Just as you would not ignore this crime if a politician had referred to it not as a terrorist attack, but merely mentionned "an incident involving a muslim family".

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 09, 2021, 09:44:20 AM

I was not sure what he was talking about.  There were a number of stories in the Globe regarding the problems with Islamophobia.

Also a reminder that when people like Otto show up here to spread their hate filled filth they should be confronted.
When such incidents happen in Quebec, English Canadian media are quick to point out it's because we are governed by White Supremacists, because of bill 101, because of bill 21, because we are racists and hate immigrants, etc, etc,

I haven't seen anything suggesting this attack happened because Ontarians are white supremacists.  Or because Ontario's Premier hates muslims and promotes discriminations against minorities.

Nor have I seen any condemnation of British Columbians or its government policies about a rise in anti-asian hate attacks.

Saying there's racism, islamophobia in the province/country, etc is not the same as saying the people and its government are promoting it, actively, or by tolerating it when it happens.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on June 09, 2021, 11:29:18 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on June 09, 2021, 10:41:26 AM

From an Anglophone journalists? That's fucked up.

I have a pretty hard time seeing how Quebec laws (whatever problems I may have with them) are much of a factor for some Anglo guy carrying out a hate crime in Ontario.
give it a week and the Globe&Mail will have an answer.

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on June 09, 2021, 10:46:52 AM

What is required is sincere condolences to the family and community, and a stern commitment to combat anti-Muslim bigotry specifically.

yeah but did we need eight politicians to make speeches, is my point.
That's a bit too much, imho, but...
What if they didn't speak then?
Wouldn't the medias had been all over them saying they kept quiet during this tragedy?  Especially right wing parties that get regularly tied to far right speech&actions despite having zero tolerance for it inside their own movement?

crazy canuck

The difference of course is that Quebec has enacted legislation which is contrary to the Charter and does disproportionately affect Muslims.  So Jacob, actually a fair question to have asked.

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 09, 2021, 12:35:11 PM
The difference of course is that Quebec has enacted legislation which is contrary to the Charter and does disproportionately affect Muslims.  So Jacob, actually a fair question to have asked.

Don't join the fuckery.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.