Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: viper37 on October 07, 2019, 03:08:14 PM
Quote from: dps on October 04, 2019, 04:47:13 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 04, 2019, 03:47:15 PM
If I am father to a teenage girl, shouldn't I have the right to know what my little girl is doing?  Advise her on the subject?

I'm not sure how it works in Canada, but in the US we've basically gotten to the point that an abortion is the only non-emergency medical procedure that can be performed on a minor without either parental consent or a court order.
it varies by province, and for Quebec, I know for sure a teenage girl can get an abortion without her parents being noticed.  I don't know the "cutoff" age (maybe 14?) at which point basically any medical procedure can be performed without the parent's notification or consent.

I do understand why it has to be necessary, but I still don't like it.

I don't get what the legal theory/justification is.  The "it's her body" argument can't be the reason--in some jurisdictions, a minor can't even legally get her ears pierced without parental consent, but she can get an abortion.

HVC

Because a parent could very well move against their daughters will and best interest and deny her an abortion. I don't see the difficulty part to understand?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on October 07, 2019, 06:33:15 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 07, 2019, 03:48:42 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 07, 2019, 03:12:43 PM
Anyway.

I've learned last week-end that Scheer has ties to Opus Dei.  He arranged a meeting between the Opus Dei representative for Canada and a bunch of MPs a while ago.

I'm disinclined to vote for that person. Might vote Green as a protest vote if I see polls they have zero chances of winning in my riding.

:rolleyes:

He's not a member.  He just arranged a meeting.  Sheesh.
Opus Dei is just one of many orders of the Catholic Church. I'm really not sure what the big deal is here. And I'm no fan of Scheer.
It's a sect within the Catholic Church that exerts as much control on its members - maybe even more - than the Jehovah's witnesses.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: dps on October 07, 2019, 07:46:02 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 07, 2019, 03:08:14 PM
Quote from: dps on October 04, 2019, 04:47:13 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 04, 2019, 03:47:15 PM
If I am father to a teenage girl, shouldn't I have the right to know what my little girl is doing?  Advise her on the subject?

I'm not sure how it works in Canada, but in the US we've basically gotten to the point that an abortion is the only non-emergency medical procedure that can be performed on a minor without either parental consent or a court order.
it varies by province, and for Quebec, I know for sure a teenage girl can get an abortion without her parents being noticed.  I don't know the "cutoff" age (maybe 14?) at which point basically any medical procedure can be performed without the parent's notification or consent.

I do understand why it has to be necessary, but I still don't like it.

I don't get what the legal theory/justification is.  The "it's her body" argument can't be the reason--in some jurisdictions, a minor can't even legally get her ears pierced without parental consent, but she can get an abortion.
See HVC's answer.  On the one hand, parents have the right to know... on the other hand, parents might push the girl to keep the body.  Even in the case of rape.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

dps

Quote from: HVC on October 07, 2019, 07:50:46 PM
Because a parent could very well move against their daughters will and best interest and deny her an abortion. I don’t see the difficulty part to understand?

But that's true of any decision the parents might make about medical care.  What makes abortion special?

viper37

Scheer just owned Bernier, lol :D  (debate)

HVC

Quote from: dps on October 07, 2019, 07:55:51 PM
Quote from: HVC on October 07, 2019, 07:50:46 PM
Because a parent could very well move against their daughters will and best interest and deny her an abortion. I don't see the difficulty part to understand?

But that's true of any decision the parents might make about medical care.  What makes abortion special?

The likelihood of a parent to force a girl to keep a child is far greater then that of a parent willing to let their kid die of cancer.

Jehova witnesses, and other sects aside, which would also let their kid die. But in that case often parents are taken to court. Unfortunately in the case of pregnancy going to court would in cases cause the pregnancy to pass the date of legal abortion.

So you could call it expediency if you truly wish. Point being that making a minor tell their parents of their wish for abortion has two outcomes. Either an abortion is allowed in which case disclosure is unnessecary. Or it's disallowed which makes disclosure harmful. But in any regard if you can't see the difference of parental consent for abortion and other medical operations I probably couldn't explain it effectively anyway. 
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

HVC

Quote from: viper37 on October 07, 2019, 07:55:57 PM

What happened? I'm watching the leafs lose again

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on October 07, 2019, 06:33:52 PM
Not sure under what criteria Bernier gets to play with the big boys in this debate, and other leaders of fringe parties don't.

The justification is he has candidates in every riding.  But having him there really messed up the format. Too many people on stage and too little time for anyone to articulate a coherent position.

viper37

Quote from: HVC on October 07, 2019, 08:31:08 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 07, 2019, 07:55:57 PM

What happened? I'm watching the leafs lose again
Bernier said Scheer was an impostor, not a real conservative, only him would be a real conservative.
And then Scheer replied: "Funny you say this: which Maxime Bernier am I talking to?  The Maxime Bernier working with a separatist government or the one who begged the Conservatives to take him?" (something like that)

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 07, 2019, 10:39:38 PM
Not sure under what criteria Bernier gets to play with the big boys in this debate, and other leaders of fringe parties don't.

The justification is he has candidates in every riding.  But having him there really messed up the format. Too many people on stage and too little time for anyone to articulate a coherent position.
they should have thought of another format if the insist on inviting everyone.

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 07, 2019, 10:39:38 PM

Yeah, this was probably one of the worst debates I've seen. 45 seconds to articulate a policy position is not enough; it just leads to one liners and cheap low blows. The one moderator, the third one, was horrible as well.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on October 07, 2019, 06:33:15 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 07, 2019, 03:48:42 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 07, 2019, 03:12:43 PM
Anyway.

I've learned last week-end that Scheer has ties to Opus Dei.  He arranged a meeting between the Opus Dei representative for Canada and a bunch of MPs a while ago.

I'm disinclined to vote for that person. Might vote Green as a protest vote if I see polls they have zero chances of winning in my riding.

:rolleyes:

He's not a member.  He just arranged a meeting.  Sheesh.
Opus Dei is just one of many orders of the Catholic Church. I'm really not sure what the big deal is here. And I'm no fan of Scheer.

Reminds me of how some Catholics react to news that someone is a member of the Masons.  ;)

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

PRC

This election cycle seems pretty subdued.  Based on that impression I predict a Liberal majority with the Greens picking up a few seats and the NDP losing a few.

crazy canuck

An interesting dynamic is taking shape.  It looks impossible for the Conservatives to form a majority government because of how poorly they are doing Quebec.  That takes the pressure off strategic voters who might otherwise feel compelled to vote Liberal.  The NDP could do much better than first anticipated - if this elections was a few weeks longer Singh might have been able to do what Trudeau did to Mulcair.

Edit: PRC, based on the latest polling data it is very unlikely there will be a majority government formed by either party.  Neither the Libs or Cons have the necessary seat count.