[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 27, 2019, 02:37:29 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 26, 2019, 10:35:57 AM
the evangelical Chinese community

I didn't know that was even a thing.

Google tells me there are three evangelical chinese churches in Edmonton - and there's a hell of a lot more Chinese people in Vancouver than in Edmonton.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

I am not sure how large a community it is here, but they are fairly vocal during elections, about on par as a Republican born again evangelical type in the US. 

Barrister

And in any event it was just large enough to ensure 10% of the vote in a by-election with 30% turn out.

Barrister

And Jody Wilson-Raybould is saying exactly what I thought she would say - that she was the subject of intense, months long pressure to change her mind about SNC, including veiled threats.

I wonder what her end-game is.  I love her for making a principled stance on the perhaps esoteric principle of prosecutorial discretion and independence :wub: but short of Trudeau resigning in disgrace, her career as a Federal Liberal would appear to be over as of today.

crazy canuck

Sorry, watching Cohen (and AOC   :wub:) have to catch up on the Canadian version later.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on February 27, 2019, 04:38:12 PM
And Jody Wilson-Raybould is saying exactly what I thought she would say - that she was the subject of intense, months long pressure to change her mind about SNC, including veiled threats.

I wonder what her end-game is.  I love her for making a principled stance on the perhaps esoteric principle of prosecutorial discretion and independence :wub: but short of Trudeau resigning in disgrace, her career as a Federal Liberal would appear to be over as of today.

Just started watching.  You should tune in, she is making a different point - she just said she made the decision not to pursue a DPA and after she advised she had made that decision it was inappropriate for there to be further talk about job losses.

That puts a very different spin on things.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 27, 2019, 04:51:32 PM
Sorry, watching Cohen (and AOC   :wub:) have to catch up on the Canadian version later.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/wilson-raybould-testifies-justice-committee-1.5035219

Contains a live blog.  It's actually far more blunt language than I thought the PMO would use.  And it appears that JWR, as a lawyer, has notes on all these conversations.

And you can tell that something was said during the time JWR was sworn in as Veterans Affairs Minister that informed her decision to resign.

viper37

but short of Trudeau resigning in disgrace, her career as a Federal Liberal would appear to be over as of today.
I don't think she had any intentions of rejoining this party.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on February 27, 2019, 05:02:27 PM
And you can tell that something was said during the time JWR was sworn in as Veterans Affairs Minister that informed her decision to resign.
it might not be related to SNC.

there was open conflicts between her and Carolyn Bennet about indigenous issues, and the First Nations asked to work with her directly.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on February 27, 2019, 05:04:32 PM
but short of Trudeau resigning in disgrace, her career as a Federal Liberal would appear to be over as of today.

She didn't initially resign from cabinet.  She is still a member of caucus.  I don't see her joining the NDP or Conservatives.

Barrister

You know, it's thin ice to keep mentioning the potential economic job losses but maybe defensible.

What isn't defensible even a tiny bit is the repeated mentions of why a DPA was needed for political reasons.  That's just beyond the pale.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on February 27, 2019, 02:41:47 PM
Google tells me there are three evangelical chinese churches in Edmonton - and there's a hell of a lot more Chinese people in Vancouver than in Edmonton.

I don't doubt it.  Just didn't know it existed.  Latin Americans, sure.  Koreans I've known about forever.  Recently learned it's catching on in parts of Africa.  Just didn't know Chinamen did it too.   Thought they were more into levitating.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on February 27, 2019, 05:09:22 PM
Quote from: viper37 on February 27, 2019, 05:04:32 PM

She didn't initially resign from cabinet.  She is still a member of caucus.  I don't see her joining the NDP or Conservatives.
No, but she could quit politics at the end of her term.  Once a minister, if you get on the bad side of a PM and his inner circle, get transferred and then resign, even with a new PM, it's unlikely you'll ever be appointed to cabinet ever after.

Not many people join politics to simply stay MP until their retirement.  Everyone hopes to be a minister or deputy minister of something.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on February 27, 2019, 05:22:53 PM
You know, it's thin ice to keep mentioning the potential economic job losses but maybe defensible.

What isn't defensible even a tiny bit is the repeated mentions of why a DPA was needed for political reasons.  That's just beyond the pale.

I think you missed my post.  She is not claiming the DOP made the decision and she was pressured to change their mind.   She is claiming she made the decision and it was inappropriate to try to change her mind.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 27, 2019, 07:20:18 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 27, 2019, 05:22:53 PM

I think you missed my post.  She is not claiming the DOP made the decision and she was pressured to change their mind.   She is claiming she made the decision and it was inappropriate to try to change her mind.

It's both. 

The DPP made the decision not to offer a DPA.

Normally that's the end of the matter.  The entire point of the DPP (I was with DOJ when it was introduced) was to make prosecution decisions independent.  But the AG does have some residual discretion to direct the DPP to take a different course of action.

JWR's testimony made clear she conducted her own review of the matter, and agreed a DPA would not be offered.

As an aside, because SNW is challenging this under judicial review, the reasons why it isn't being offered have not been revealed.  But exercises of prosecutorial discretion do not need to be explained to anyone.

JWR then details over the next two months the numerous contacts she had with Ministers, the PMO, and Trudeau himself strongly urging her to come to some resolution and that something needed to be worked out.  She several times said such contacts must stop and were inappropriate - but they continued.

Most chilling to me hasn't been picked up as significant by the media.  There were repeated requests by political staffers to try and speak directly with the DPP, Roussell.  That's political interference folks!  JWR knowing this would not allow it.

And wow - here's the absolute money quote from JWR's testimony:

QuoteJessica: Basically, they want a solution. Nothing new. They want external counsel retained to give you an opinion on whether you can review the DPP's decision here and whether you should in this case. ... I told them that would be interference. Gerry said "Jess, there is no solution here that doesn't involve some interference." At least they are finally being honest about what they are asking you to do. Don't care about the PPSC's independence. Katie was like "we don't want to debate legalities anymore." They keep being like "we aren't lawyers, but there has to be some solution here".'

Gerry is Gerry Butts
Katie is Katie Telford, Trudeau's Chief of Staff

"There has to be a solution"

"We don't want to debate legalities anymore".

"There is no solution that doesn't involve some interference".

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/jody-wilson-raybould-opening-statements-1.5035785

And of course 2 weeks later JWR is out as AG.