News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 22, 2019, 11:13:49 AM
If some evidence of wrongdoing is revealed let me know.
And how would you find such evidence when you are refused legal access to it?

It's as if the police, in investigating a credit cart fraud, were prevented from requesting camera footage of ATMs under any&all circumnstances.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

saskganesh

Hi.

I predict Singh will win his byelection today,  the Cons will win in rural Ontario and the Grits in Outremont.
humans were created in their own image

Barrister

Quote from: saskganesh on February 25, 2019, 12:45:13 PM
Hi.

I predict Singh will win his byelection today,  the Cons will win in rural Ontario and the Grits in Outremont.

Hi Sasks!

You're really going out on a limb with those predictions. :P
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Hi.

It would be a devastating loss for Singh if he lost.  It would mean that the NDP did not come out to support him in this safe NDP riding.

Barrister

Quote from: Barrister on February 21, 2019, 06:08:55 PM
And the final shoe to drop (there may be others) is going to be what do the Libs ultimately do with the SNC case?  They can hope the courts solve it for them with SNC's own judicial review application of PPSC's decision not to allow the DPA, but honestly prosecutorial discretion is a real thing and is given a lot of respect by the courts (why is why it's so important that politicians don't mess around with it!).  So will the new AG give a written directive to allow the DPA, now with the attention of the nation on him?

From today's Globe - the Libs are looking at changing the government procurement rules so SNC Lavelin would not be banned from Federal contracts if convicted.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-trudeau-government-eyes-changes-to-federal-contract-bans/

crazy canuck

Early results in BC show a worrying trend for the Conservatives.  The People's Party is taking a big percentage of the vote - 11.3 % with about 36% of the polls reporting.  Without the PP this would be a neck and neck race between the Conservatives and NDP.

The bad news for the Liberals,  without the PPs this would be a neck and neck race between the Conservatives and NDP - in a riding which is historically left leaning.

Barrister

Government waives privilege for JWR to speak about SNC (other than the very reasonable limitation that what was discussed with the DPP is still privileged).

Should be interesting. :)

Definitely troubling if Bernier's party is getting 10% in BC though.

Barrister

So results in BC for Bernier's party seems to have been driven by a candidate with some name recognition and a base of support in the evangelical Chinese community.  Bernier's party finished with 2% of the votes in the other two ridings in play.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/people-s-party-mixed-bag-results-1.5033489

Now, even 2% isn't great since it can still throw a tight election, but hopefully in a tight election there will be a reminder to voters to not "waste" their vote on a fringe party.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on February 25, 2019, 11:44:24 PM
Government waives privilege for JWR to speak about SNC (other than the very reasonable limitation that what was discussed with the DPP is still privileged).

The claim she is now making that she is still muzzled because cabinet confidentiality has not been waived for the period when she held another portfolio is a bit puzzling.  I thought the claim was that she was being pressured when she was minister of justice.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 26, 2019, 09:50:57 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 25, 2019, 11:44:24 PM

The claim she is now making that she is still muzzled because cabinet confidentiality has not been waived for the period when she held another portfolio is a bit puzzling.  I thought the claim was that she was being pressured when she was minister of justice.
it's about the reasons given for the change of portfolio, I guess.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

If that is all it is, she would not need a waiver of privilege to speak about it.

Admiral Yi

saskganesh

Quote from: Barrister on February 25, 2019, 01:11:40 PM
Hi.

Hi Sasks!

You're really going out on a limb with those predictions. :P

Yah I was taking a  big risk.  :Canuck: Some of the media coverage suggested otherwise.

saskganesh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 27, 2019, 02:37:29 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 26, 2019, 10:35:57 AM
the evangelical Chinese community

I didn't know that was even a thing.
Some of them are syncretists too. Mt. Zion is in Taiwan kind of thing. Very entertaining.