And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on November 13, 2018, 02:11:09 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 13, 2018, 02:08:45 PM
In it's own use of a social wedge issue the Alberta NDP passed legislation saying that if an underage student joined a GSA (Gay-Straight Alliance) that it is illegal to notify the parents.  And this one in particular really bugs me - as a parent I want to know what my kid is up to.  And I hate that it assumes parents are going to be bigots, and not supportive of their kids no matter what.

But it doesn't assume that. Unless Canadian school clubs are very different from American ones, parents don't get told every time their child joins a club.

Maybe not every time, but we're certainly informed about a great variety of things that my kids are involved in, including after-school clubs.

Oh and another thing about these GSAs (that's what Carpay started talking about in the first place) - even if you run an explicitly Christian school which teaches traditional sexual morality, you must permit the creation of such clubs.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on November 13, 2018, 01:44:26 PM

But should a Jew be prosecuted for publishing the Torah's prohibition on eating pork?
Should a Jewish deli be required to cater a Eid al-Fitr  celebration if asked?
Can jews open a school but require you to sign a declaration promising to keep kosher even outside of school hours if you attend?
Should observant jewish parents be notified if their child joins a barbecue after-school club?

1. No. Though obviously, context is important - publishing the Biblical prohibition, together with hair-raising bits about divine vengeance, out of context and in a pointed manner aimed at pork-eaters is, to say the least, in dubious taste. 

2. Yes.

Don't see why a Jewish deli would have a problem with  Eid al-Fitr - Halal being very similar to Kosher. Pork is prohibited by both. Jews definitely attend Eid, example: http://jews.lv/en/news-and-events/community-news/jews-muslims-celebrated-eid-al-fitr/

Given that there's no religious prohibition, there isn't any "reasonable accommodation" issues, so a Jewish deli should not discriminate against Muslim clients.

3. No. A school ought not to be able to impose discipline for one's level of observance off school property.

4. No. Children deserve some level of autonomy. If a child decides to be non-observant when outside the parent's home, that's his or her choice. A school should not be involved. Clearly the parents must be informed that the child is attending some function, as they have to know where their kids are.   

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on November 13, 2018, 02:14:49 PM
Maybe not every time

So again establishing special rules for this type of club.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on November 13, 2018, 02:17:59 PM
Maybe not every time

Or just have no rule.  Schools can, or can not, choose to notify parents based on their assessment of the situation.

Oexmelin

What are the potential consequences of notifying parents about their child participating in the GSA?
What are the potential consequences of notifying parents about their child participating in the chess club?
Que le grand cric me croque !

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on November 13, 2018, 02:29:20 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 13, 2018, 02:17:59 PM
Maybe not every time

Or just have no rule.  Schools can, or can not, choose to notify parents based on their assessment of the situation.

Actually, I'm sorry as I realized I misread your initial post. I can see how from a conservative viewpoint making it illegal to tell parents about a club kids joined seems heavy handed.

I think Oex does raise a good point though, yeah I've mixed feelings.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Canada does tend to go a bit further than I am comfortable with :hmm:

But still saying gay rights is totalitarian as a general rule is bullshit.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on November 13, 2018, 02:47:07 PM

I'm not finding it all that easy to find any articles that aren't just full of emotive garbage, but from this one, one possible reading is that they took that step in Alberta out of concerns schools would use informing parents as a way to prevent/shutdown clubs they didn't want to be forced to allow.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3862295/alberta-legislature-passes-contentious-bill-24-strengthening-gay-straight-alliances/

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on November 13, 2018, 03:50:26 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 13, 2018, 02:47:07 PM

I'm not finding it all that easy to find any articles that aren't just full of emotive garbage, but from this one, one possible reading is that they took that step in Alberta out of concerns schools would use informing parents as a way to prevent/shutdown clubs they didn't want to be forced to allow.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3862295/alberta-legislature-passes-contentious-bill-24-strengthening-gay-straight-alliances/

One thing you should know is that in Alberta there is an entirely separate Catholic school system, which is a Charter guaranteed right.  There are also a number of independent protestant (usually evangelical) schools.  Which yes, didn't want these student groups.  Because what is the point of having a religious school if it can't teach in accordance with the beliefs of their faith?

But my (perhaps biased) take is that it has been a reasonably effective wedge issue for the NDP.  Try to force the United Conservatives to vote against a gay rights bill (which they ultimately did) so they can say the UCP is anti-gay.  But in terms of actual on-the-ground problems I don't know of any.

crazy canuck

Or it could be that there is a genuine concern that some parents will react to the news that their child is in an LGBTQ club in the manner demonstrated by the guy who uttered the quote that started off this conversation.

Monoriu

I can't imagine schools in Hong Kong notifying the parents every time the kids join a club  :lol:  Nobody cares about these things here.  But then again, most student clubs in Hong Kong are non-political. 

I have heard of the term "LGBT".  Since when is the "Q" added? 

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 13, 2018, 06:29:39 PM
Or it could be that there is a genuine concern that some parents will react to the news that their child is in an LGBTQ club in the manner demonstrated by the guy who uttered the quote that started off this conversation.
"Don't worry ma, I'm just making new friends and expanding my horizons"I don't see why that would go wrong...Ok, I'm on the fence on this.  I think parents have a right to know what their kids are doing after school. I understand the concerns about having very religious parents learn their children is gay while he's still a minor, but I think it's the wrong way to tackle the issue.

If religion is the problem, then tackle the religious issues so we have less bigots.  Restrict religious freedoms, not parent's rights.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Monoriu on November 13, 2018, 08:09:41 PM
I can't imagine schools in Hong Kong notifying the parents every time the kids join a club  :lol:  Nobody cares about these things here.  But then again, most student clubs in Hong Kong are non-political. 

they have a bunch of other letters too.  It's disrespectful to not use half the alphabet and a + sign, apparently.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on November 14, 2018, 02:46:52 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on November 13, 2018, 08:09:41 PM

they have a bunch of other letters too.  It's disrespectful to not use half the alphabet and a + sign, apparently.

Yeah but the rest vary a whole bunch depending upon who the 'they' are. The Q seems to be generally accepted.