News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: garbon on November 07, 2018, 04:09:51 PM
The UK is kicking me out in 2020, so I don't think I have to worry about that hypothetical. :P
what are you waiting for?  find a cute, rich, non closeted, tall, muscular, football player to marry! ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Tony Clement kicked out of caucus for a sexting scandal.  Clement initially claimed he was catfished into doing so, but now it turns out there are more allegations.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/clement-scheer-explicit-photos-1.4895295
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on November 07, 2018, 04:16:42 PM
The UK is kicking me out in 2020, so I don't think I have to worry about that hypothetical. :P

Will you have been in the country long enough to apply for permanent resident status?

No. In 2011, the U.K. changed my visa type to be ineligible for permanent residency. I either need to marry, go back to school or seek another employer to stay under current legislation.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on November 07, 2018, 04:35:59 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 07, 2018, 04:16:42 PM

Will you have been in the country long enough to apply for permanent resident status?

No. In 2011, the U.K. changed my visa type to be ineligible for permanent residency. I either need to marry, go back to school or seek another employer to stay under current legislation.

:(

Valmy

Ah...so what are you planning on doing?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on November 07, 2018, 04:29:20 PM
Tony Clement kicked out of caucus for a sexting scandal.  Clement initially claimed he was catfished into doing so, but now it turns out there are more allegations.

So he was just sexting? did I miss something?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on November 07, 2018, 04:53:32 PM

Ah...so what are you planning on doing?

I vote phony marriage with Sheilbh
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on November 07, 2018, 04:58:31 PM

Sexting, got blackmailed, said it was an 'isolated incident', turns out he was (allegedly) sexting like a monster.

Not sure why sexting should make him resign, if he was doing it with consenting adults; I mean, it is humiliating to be caught, and the dude is married so bad on him. Though the cover-up attempt may be the issue.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on November 07, 2018, 04:58:31 PM

He sent sexually explicit photos to someone who catfished him, then demanded $50k or else they'd release his photos.  Clement reported this to Scheer and to the police.

Then women have been coming out on social media saying he's a perv, but nothing very explicit has been said.

Malthus: the concern is over him being blackmailed

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on November 07, 2018, 05:05:13 PM

Malthus: the concern is over him being blackmailed

In theory, sure; he's privy to secrets, so spies could honey trap him into giving secrets away.

But given that when he was in fact blackmailed, he reported it, doesn't that address that specific concern? If he wouldn't had over $50K, presumably he wouldn't betray his country, either. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on November 07, 2018, 03:54:08 PM
You know as well as I do that it takes roughly 3 generations for Canada to get its investment back from accepting refugees.

Actually one of my partners was a child of refugees.  Anecdotal but my experience runs counter to your assertion.

PRC

Quote from: Malthus on November 07, 2018, 10:31:41 AM

I must admit, it's unusual to find many insisting that citizens have no civic duties.

Did you ever work on a Kibbutz?  The idea of "pulling your weight", which I would poorly compare to "fulfilling your civic duties"... I think is very central in those communities and some might have the idea that citzenship in a nation should be that writ large... but it's easy to hide in a country, not so much in such a tight knit community as those communal enclaves.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 07, 2018, 05:56:27 PM
Quote from: viper37 on November 07, 2018, 03:54:08 PM
You know as well as I do that it takes roughly 3 generations for Canada to get its investment back from accepting refugees.

Actually one of my partners was a child of refugees.  Anecdotal but my experience runs counter to your assertion.
average, I said.  there are refugees able to work right away.  some can't do anything, like these Africans who crossed over here during winter and had to have both hands amputated.

again, average.  not personal experience, average, overall the refugees coming here.

If say, Garbon wanted to move to Canada, he's had to prove he had a job waiting for him, before even starting the process (and even then, it's uber-complicated, way too complicated, way too long, but I'ved told you before the election and you didn't listen).

Refugees are a different matter.  It's more random.  They're not selected based on what they can contribute tomorrow morning, but on the danger they face if they are sent back home.

Again, we still need them, and we must certainly do our part, but we can't afford to take all the burden of the world.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Quote from: PRC on November 07, 2018, 08:54:40 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 07, 2018, 10:31:41 AM

I must admit, it's unusual to find many insisting that citizens have no civic duties.

Did you ever work on a Kibbutz?  The idea of "pulling your weight", which I would poorly compare to "fulfilling your civic duties"... I think is very central in those communities and some might have the idea that citzenship in a nation should be that writ large... but it's easy to hide in a country, not so much in such a tight knit community as those communal enclaves.

Nope. I was working on an archaeological site, the fact that it was in Israel was a coincidence (well, not really, because that place is lousy with sites). I've also worked at a site in Canada.

Barrister

So this Tony Clement story is kind of odd.  First there was sending the explicit picture and being extorted about it.

But then came all of this social media news.  Apparently Clement was quite the fan of Instagram.  And he had this abhorrent habit of finding nice looking women on Instagram - and sending them friendly DMs.  He would also go through their past photos... and like them.

I mean yes, it's vaguely creepy for a 50-something year old politician to try and be all friendly with 20 year old women on social media.  But other than the one presumed dick pic (which was requested by the recipient), he never crossed any line.  He didn't try to obtain sexual favours, he didn't try to use his influence... he was just overly chatty with younger women.

https://edmontonsun.com/news/national/sexual-misconduct-allegations-arise-after-tony-clement-claims-sextortion-mp-ousted-from-tory-caucus/wcm/4c5f6bb8-59ed-4642-a168-c17531a9d6ad