News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

O'Leary out, BB sad*

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/kevin-oleary-out-of-conservative-race/ar-BBAp5SD?li=AAadgLE&ocid=spartanntp

* I don't remember if BB like O'Leary, but he's the only Canadian conservative I can remember on here.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on April 26, 2017, 02:28:36 PM
O'Leary out, BB sad*

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/kevin-oleary-out-of-conservative-race/ar-BBAp5SD?li=AAadgLE&ocid=spartanntp

* I don't remember if BB like O'Leary, but he's the only Canadian conservative I can remember on here.

Fuck O'Leary.  I joined (not without some reservations) the Bernier Train.

It's a very strange story from O'Leary though.  He never quite seemed into the race, though he polled well.  I can't quite see why he'd quit at this point.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on April 19, 2017, 09:41:01 PM
Quote from: viper37 on April 19, 2017, 09:19:52 PM
Quote from: HVC on April 19, 2017, 07:16:11 PM
Quote from: Ancient Demon on April 19, 2017, 07:13:23 PM
I'm not sure why they wouldn't just lower fares rather than have a tax credit.

It's ineffective but still a way of claiming you're helping the poor. 
poor people don't pay taxes.  By the time they can claim the credit, they already have a gazillion other tax credits and this one won't add.

Well no.  It wasn't merely a deduction (which reduces income) but a tax credit (which reduces tax paid).  So yes, someone with income below the minimum taxable amount gets no help, but that's a fairly small number of people.
IIRC, it wasn't a refundable tax credit, so if you didn't earn enough that year, you just didn't get anything out of it.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on April 26, 2017, 10:48:11 PM

It's a very strange story from O'Leary though.  He never quite seemed into the race, though he polled well.  I can't quite see why he'd quit at this point.
But O'Leary just joined the Bernier train ;)

Mario Dumont speculated that there was something else to that.  A few hours before joining Bernier, he was still campaigning for himself.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on April 27, 2017, 10:53:30 AM

Mario Dumont speculated that there was something else to that.  A few hours before joining Bernier, he was still campaigning for himself.

Yes, it is all very bizarre.  The stated reason is that O'Leary felt he couldn't win - he didn't have any support in Quebec.  And it's quite true.  But the whole COnservative leadership process is such a confusing mess (preferential marked ballot, weighted so constituencies are equal, making one Quebec member worth well over one hundred Alberta members) that who knows what the outcome might have been.

Jacob

I guess Bernier offered him something attractive in return for quitting.

Valmy

Hey I just met with a company owned by the PSP about investing in some transmission systems. Your pension is in good hands BB!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on April 27, 2017, 12:42:04 PM
Hey I just met with a company owned by the PSP about investing in some transmission systems. Your pension is in good hands BB!

Alberta's PSPP?

As a non-unionized government employee my pensin is in the hands of MEPP - THe Management Employees Pension Plan. :mellow:

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on April 27, 2017, 11:13:13 AM
Quote from: viper37 on April 27, 2017, 10:53:30 AM

Yes, it is all very bizarre.  The stated reason is that O'Leary felt he couldn't win - he didn't have any support in Quebec.  And it's quite true.  But the whole COnservative leadership process is such a confusing mess (preferential marked ballot, weighted so constituencies are equal, making one Quebec member worth well over one hundred Alberta members) that who knows what the outcome might have been.
No MPs from Quebec support Bernier.  His own support base in Quebec isn't really there outside of his home territory, south of Quebec city.

He's not the one that will convince Montrealers to join the cause (well, I don't think anybody can, but Bernier sure can't do it, he's the laughing stock of the montreal intelligentsia).

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on April 27, 2017, 12:39:38 PM
I guess Bernier offered him something attractive in return for quitting.
I guess someone found something on O'Leary and there's quite a risk it will become public before the next election.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on April 27, 2017, 12:47:09 PM

Alberta's PSPP?

As a non-unionized government employee my pensin is in the hands of MEPP - THe Management Employees Pension Plan. :mellow:

I think they are all united in the same investment company. But if not then maybe I am only helping the Mounties along.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on April 27, 2017, 01:03:23 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 27, 2017, 12:47:09 PM

Alberta's PSPP?

I think they are all united in the same investment company. But if not then maybe I am only helping the Mounties along.

Pretty sure various pension plans have their own investment teams - that way they can justify their salaries.

You might also be referring to the CPP Pension board - which invest funds for the Canada Pension Plan that everyone belongs to.

Valmy

Whatever the one is that has billions of dollars to blow on Texas energy schemes.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on April 27, 2017, 12:54:03 PM
No MPs from Quebec support Bernier.  His own support base in Quebec isn't really there outside of his home territory, south of Quebec city.

He's not the one that will convince Montrealers to join the cause (well, I don't think anybody can, but Bernier sure can't do it, he's the laughing stock of the montreal intelligentsia).

Two separate questions though - Bernier's support within Conservative members in Quebec (which I believe is high), and his support amongst Quebeckers at large (here I'm not so sure).  But of course it's only the former that matters right now.

I'm also given to believe that Bernier's support in Alberta is quite high, due to his economic right-wing stance.