And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 22, 2015, 11:52:41 AM
Quote from: Barrister on October 22, 2015, 11:51:46 AM
What exactly is he supposed to do?  Obama is faced with a Republican congress.  He's gotten nothing passed into legislation.

What Trudeau is now doing  :P

I say this not to fault him (he hasn't even been sworn in yet) but he hasn't actually done anything yet.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on October 22, 2015, 12:01:40 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 22, 2015, 11:52:41 AM
Quote from: Barrister on October 22, 2015, 11:51:46 AM
What exactly is he supposed to do?  Obama is faced with a Republican congress.  He's gotten nothing passed into legislation.

What Trudeau is now doing  :P

I say this not to fault him (he hasn't even been sworn in yet) but he hasn't actually done anything yet.

I don't know if I agree with that... setting the tone and the agenda are significant components of leadership, and that's what he's doing so far. Of course, ultimately delivering is more important, but that's further down the road.

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on October 22, 2015, 11:38:03 AM
Quote from: Jacob on October 22, 2015, 11:27:06 AM
Quote from: Barrister on October 22, 2015, 10:18:50 AM
I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for the moment.

Wait... are you in favour of more concerted action on climate change?

For sure.

But so did Harper, and I thought he took a responsible approach.  It wasn't that "climate change isn't an issue".  It was instead "unilateral action by Canada is meaningless".  I'm definitely in favour of a comprehensive global fight on carbon emissions.

But that's like saying "I'm not going to recycle because my neighbour doesn't." Unilateral action is not meaningless. Just because everyone else pollutes doesn't mean we need to.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 22, 2015, 11:08:58 AM
You are making a presumption without any evidence.
The past is never a guarantee of the future, but it usually gives a pretty good picture.  Especially when the same people are concerned.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on October 22, 2015, 11:42:34 AM
It seemed to me that Harper's approach was "we won't bother doing anything at all until the entire rest of the world decide to agree to our specific standards, and in the meantime we'll stay away from engaging the rest of the world in a meaningful way."
yes, it was a silly position.  The same position the NDP had on the war in Syria and Irak, btw: "Not our problem, let others do it, then we'll see."
And it's silly in both cases.

Maybe that perception is wrong, but I'd be surprised if the Liberals' actions were less productive than that on the topic.
Well, the bar is quite low to do worst.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on October 22, 2015, 12:52:52 PM
But that's like saying "I'm not going to recycle because my neighbour doesn't." Unilateral action is not meaningless. Just because everyone else pollutes doesn't mean we need to.

No matter what anyone else says, reducing CO2 is not going to be easy or painless.  It will have a detrimental effect on our economy.  Why should we hobble our own economy if our much larger neighbor doesn't do the same?

I'm not talking about waiting for India to come on board.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on October 22, 2015, 01:07:22 PM

No matter what anyone else says, reducing CO2 is not going to be easy or painless.  It will have a detrimental effect on our economy.  Why should we hobble our own economy if our much larger neighbor doesn't do the same?

Some solutions that are not painful, in the sense that we have to do them anyway, for example, investing in mass transit infrastructure to get more people out of their cars.

Jacob

Bottom line, Harper sat on his hands and alternately made excuses or said nothing.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on October 22, 2015, 12:35:55 PM
I don't know if I agree with that... setting the tone and the agenda are significant components of leadership, and that's what he's doing so far. Of course, ultimately delivering is more important, but that's further down the road.

This sounds like a repeat of election talk.  You're impressed by tone and agenda.  I'm impressed by results.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on October 22, 2015, 01:34:40 PM
This sounds like a repeat of election talk.  You're impressed by tone and agenda.  I'm impressed by results.

Of which Harper delivered none in his 10 year tenure.

Josephus

Quote from: Jacob on October 22, 2015, 01:41:31 PM

Like balanced budgets. Oh wait, he did one.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

reducing subsidies to oil companies would be the sensible and fiscally conservative thing to do.

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on October 22, 2015, 02:59:17 PM
Quote from: Jacob on October 22, 2015, 01:41:31 PM

Like balanced budgets. Oh wait, he did one.
all the budgets were balanced until 2008.  Than it became close to be balanced last year (a 3 billion$ provision led to a 2billion deficit).
Without raising any taxes or fees or cutting in provincial transfers.  Something the Libs were unable to do.  And I remember the Rae solution for Ontario, it took Mike Harris to bring back their heads above water.

Jacob

Re: the inquiry into missing and murdered Native women - when stories like this comes up - the deliberate deletion of records regarding the Highway of Tears - then I don't think a 20-year old commission report or promoting private land ownership on reserves are particularly relevant.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on October 22, 2015, 05:02:01 PM
Re: the inquiry into missing and murdered Native women - when stories like this comes up - the deliberate deletion of records regarding the Highway of Tears - then I don't think a 20-year old commission report or promoting private land ownership on reserves are particularly relevant.
A 20 year old commission report did not prevent that from happenning.  How would a new one change anything, except for the lawyers getting overtime and politicians getting good will?