News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Viper, Saskatchewan has already proposed abolition. 

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 25, 2015, 05:45:32 PM
Viper, Saskatchewan has already proposed abolition. 
What I mean is legally, what does it take to modify the Constitution, procedures, step by step.
Can 7 provinces band together and say "we have a new proposal for a constitutional amendment, here it is, make it official" and the Federal gov is bound by it?  I don't think so, but you're the expert, so you tell me :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

The constitution requires the agreement of both the Provinces and Federal Parliament (which ironically includes the Senate).  It does not matter who makes the proposal.  If all the provinces agreed to abolition it would be politically unwise for Parliament to also disagree.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 26, 2015, 08:39:51 AM
The constitution requires the agreement of both the Provinces and Federal Parliament (which ironically includes the Senate).  It does not matter who makes the proposal.  If all the provinces agreed to abolition it would be politically unwise for Parliament to also disagree.
so the Feds are hoping the provinces will be fed up with the current situation and propose its abolition, rather than propose any reform.  It will likely be easier to wait for them to agree on abolition than hope to convince them of any kind of reform.

I don't like this.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

No, the preferable option is a check on the legislation coming out of our elected assembly.

If the senate did it's job instead of being a country club of funneling tax payer money to friend of the party then this unwise talk of abolition would not be happening.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

By a chamber of political appointees or, worse yet, a second elected body like the US?  No thanks. 

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 26, 2015, 10:57:55 AM
Imo abolition is the preferable option.
just give the keys of the country to Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver, that will cost less and achieve the same.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 26, 2015, 12:44:00 PM
By a chamber of political appointees or, worse yet, a second elected body like the US?  No thanks. 
Elected, Efficient and Equal.
Canadians should stop being so afraid of democracy.  Why not abolish the Commons and let the Governor Genral rule while we're at it?

crazy canuck

Lol, who is the one afraid of democracy?  I think you may be forgetting why the Senate was created.

Grey Fox

An elected senate not based on population could be good. 5 per province?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Why would it be good to give PEI with the population of a small town the same representation as Quebec.  The only possible reason would be to prevent the democratic will of the people.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 26, 2015, 04:01:24 PM
Lol, who is the one afraid of democracy?  I think you may be forgetting why the Senate was created.
Same as house of Lords, to counter-balance the populist vote of the House of Commons.

It evolved into a representation of the provinces.  Wich is what we need, to protect less populous regions from the more populous ones.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 26, 2015, 07:32:31 PM
Why would it be good to give PEI with the population of a small town the same representation as Quebec.  The only possible reason would be to prevent the democratic will of the people.
democracy is the tiranny of the majority.  Most occidental countries have regional representation, US & Germany among them, others too.

Josephus

I have mixed feelings. For sure the senate, as it is, is broken, has long ago lost the trust of the people.
But if we abolish it do we replace it with nothing? I don't know. Do we need a body to keep the government in check?
I think we need something in place.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011