News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

At least Grallon didn't try to fuck him.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on February 26, 2024, 12:21:26 PM
Quote from: Jacob on February 26, 2024, 12:11:10 PMOne of his best friends (let's call him A), however, is basically allowed to do whatever. For example A is allowed to chat with strangers on the internet via game chat. When A was visiting our house he mentioned he was "talking with his grown up friend, he's actually quite nice."

To me that's super alarming, but A's parents' approach is some sort of transparency, open communication, trust, and teaching A to make good judgements or something like that. So they know A chats with strangers.

I was chatting with strangers by the time I was 12 in ways my parents would have found alarming had they known. By 17 I was chatting with strangers on Languish.:ph34r:

Same.
Back then with AOL I thought it was amazing that I could just chat to randomers on a whim. My dad saw me in a chat room and did get quite worried I was on a "chat up line".
I know for a fact there absolutely were some who used the internet at the library for this purpose but not me (after that £100+ phone bill thats where I took my internet use after the first encounter).

I was on languish a few years before 17. Hello grown up friends.

Unrelated to this thread I was just about to post something relevant to this too but...ongoing case so shall back room it.
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

It turns out that the massive spike in international students is primarily driven by...

Public universities in Ontario, not private schools. Of the the top ten, one is a private school in BC. The rest are from Ontario. Of the top 30 granters of student visas, only one is private.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/international-student-study-permits-data-1.7125827

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on February 27, 2024, 11:32:52 AMIt turns out that the massive spike in international students is primarily driven by...

Public universities in Ontario, not private schools. Of the the top ten, one is a private school in BC. The rest are from Ontario. Of the top 30 granters of student visas, only one is private.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/international-student-study-permits-data-1.7125827

There are no universities on that list. 

HVC

Algoma is a university. Checked University Canada West in case they had a tricky name. Turns out it is a university, but isn't public.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on February 27, 2024, 01:58:53 PMAlso a is a university. Checked University Canada West in case they had a tricky name. Turns out it is a university, but isn't public.

No, it is not a university.  Universities in BC are created under the University Act.  And it is not one of them.  Google has once again led you astray.  :)

HVC

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 27, 2024, 02:01:00 PM
Quote from: HVC on February 27, 2024, 01:58:53 PMAlso a is a university. Checked University Canada West in case they had a tricky name. Turns out it is a university, but isn't public.

No, it is not a university.  Universities in BC are created under the University Act.  And it is not one of them.  Google has once again led you astray.  :)

Wiki this time. And Algoma got autocorrected to " Also a" in my post

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on February 27, 2024, 01:58:53 PMAlgoma is a university. Checked University Canada West in case they had a tricky name. Turns out it is a university, but isn't public.

No, Algoma is a special case, it has its own statute - its really a special purpose institution that is different from a university, although confusingly it has the same name.

The CBC story also did not claim these were universities, it correctly called them colleges.  Because our American friends call universities colleges that can also be confusing in the Canadian context.

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on February 27, 2024, 02:03:45 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 27, 2024, 02:01:00 PM

Wiki this time. And Algoma got autocorrected to " Also a" in my post

Another good reason why people should not do their own research when it simply results in a wiki page.  :P

Grey Fox

What's a college in the RoC context?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

macleans says it's a university too,  they could be mistaken too, or using the terminology differently?

QuoteUniversity Canada West is a private, for-profit university located in downtown Vancouver.

https://education.macleans.ca/school/university-canada-west/

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 27, 2024, 02:05:40 PMWhat's a college in the RoC context?

Think trade school.  Research is generally carried out at universities.

If you look at the statutes which create the two entities, you will see they perform very different functions.

Where the CBC article is misleading is universities have been trying make the case that the cap unfairly targets them.  And the CBC data supports that contention.

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on February 27, 2024, 02:06:25 PMmacleans says it's a university too,  they could be mistaken too, or using the terminology differently?

QuoteUniversity Canada West is a private, for-profit university located in downtown Vancouver.

https://education.macleans.ca/school/university-canada-west/

I bet you do your own vaccination research too?