News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

What's changed is the US shale oil boom.  We used to happily sell our oil to the US who couldn't get enough of the stuff.  But now the US is a net exporter.

And the private sector has been TRYING to build pipelines for years.  But they've been stymied at every turn, including by the Trudeau Liberals.  Which is why this is a problem the Liberals have caused for themselves.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on June 27, 2018, 05:19:23 PM
And the private sector has been TRYING to build pipelines for years. 

Your memory is better than mine.  The only pipelines I can recall having difficult being built in the West are the KM expansion to Burnaby and the Enbridge new line to Kitimat.  There was also the proposal to reverse the flow in the East, but that happened at about the same time as these other two projects.

Keystone had no trouble being built to the US border.  What other pipelines has the private sector had trouble with?

QuoteWhich is why this is a problem the Liberals have caused for themselves.

What problem did the Liberals cause for themselves?  They approved KM.  They did what they were required to do as regulator.  Why should the state become further involved - especially since this project would generate billions in revenue - why would KM turn away from those kinds of numbers?  Probably because there are a number of economists in the sector that have considerable doubts about those rosy predictions.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Valmy

Quote from: Josephus on June 28, 2018, 07:32:26 AM
So is Harper trying to pull of a Rudolf Hess?

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/harper-blindsides-trudeau-pmo-plans-visit-to-white-house-1.3992079

Did Harper's astrologer tell him he was destined to end the trade war? :hmm:

In any case very bad form unless Trudeau asked him to go.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

QuoteOn Wednesday, he was speaking at a Five Eyes panel discussion in London, U.K., where he said he thinks Trump's "America First" policy will outlast the president's tenure and that the "rapid, unorthodox, populist political change" will be part of the American fabric after Trump leaves office.

Difficult to argue with that conclusion.

Valmy

Yeah we are entering into a big political shift. It will be ever so exciting and interesting for historians of the future to study.

Kind of sucks for me though. Canada needs to look to herself.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on June 28, 2018, 09:49:16 AM
Kind of sucks for me though. Canada needs to look to herself.

Yep, closer ties with Europe are a certainty, and inevitably closer ties with China.

Jacob

What do you all think of Harper's visit to the White House?

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on June 28, 2018, 12:47:41 PM

If he is visiting without Trudeau's approval I am not sure what he hopes to accomplish.

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on June 28, 2018, 12:49:32 PM

If he is visiting without Trudeau's approval I am not sure what he hopes to accomplish.

Apparently the PMO was blindsided by this.

It does seem sort of dubious, but I suppose it's better than him going to the Kremlin.

Barrister

It's worth noting that Harper is meeting with John Bolton, the National Security Advisor.  Notably, Bolton has nothing to do with trade or tariffs.  And Harper hhas enough respect for the position of PM he's unlikely there to badmouth Trudeau either publicly or privately.

My guess (and that's all it is) is he wants to bring up a international affairs issue he thinks isn't getting enough attention in the US.

Syt

Quote from: Jacob on June 28, 2018, 12:51:15 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 28, 2018, 12:49:32 PM

Apparently the PMO was blindsided by this.

It does seem sort of dubious, but I suppose it's better than him going to the Kremlin.

I'm sure his message will be relayed. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

The difficulty is that the article does not mention why Harper was speaking to the five eyes.  It is reasonable to assume the Bolton visit is an extension of what he was doing there.

Barrister

HArper is over in London right now as well, meeting with various Tory officials (but not May).

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.