Main Menu

China's Brue Ocean naval developments

Started by CountDeMoney, March 21, 2011, 06:18:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

The US Navy will soon have a new Laser gun!!!    :cool:

No scribes allowed.....    :ph34r:

jimmy olsen

Just had a 1st year class. Was reminded of their annoying habit of tacking ee on to the end of words.

Enlishee
Finishee
Orangee

:bleeding:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 22, 2011, 03:02:39 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 22, 2011, 02:41:59 AM
Quote from: Jacob on March 22, 2011, 12:57:34 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on March 21, 2011, 09:53:00 PMI don't quite get the Engrish jokes, really.  A lot of Chinese have real trouble pronouncing "r" sounds.  What usually happens is they do the reverse - pronouncing "very" as "vely". This is particularly bad for Cantonese, because there is no "r" in the Cantonese dialect.  There are plenty of "l" sounds, though.

As you're probably aware, the Japanese tend to confuse L and R when speaking English. It's simply that people are applying 80s Japanese stereotype humour to the Chinese today because they can't really tell the difference.

Yes, where English has both the l and r sounds Japanese only has the sound intermediate between the two. They can learn to say both sounds but may still have problems actually hearing the difference. I found that saying l and thinking r got my pronounciation of the Japanese sound roughly correct. Meanwhile Russian apparently uses all 3 of these sounds  :hmm:
L and R just sound completely opposite to me.

Koreans don't seem to have that much trouble with R, but they absolutely butcher V and Z. Thankfully those letters are a lot less common.

My favorite is when they try to pronounce "beach".
"Teacher, this summer I went to bitch!"
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Monoriu

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 22, 2011, 07:41:23 PM
Just had a 1st year class. Was reminded of their annoying habit of tacking ee on to the end of words.

Enlishee
Finishee
Orangee

It's your job to fix it :contract:

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Monoriu on March 22, 2011, 08:33:22 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 22, 2011, 07:41:23 PM

Enlishee
Finishee
Orangee

It's your job to fix it :contract:
Don't worry, I am! :menace:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 22, 2011, 07:31:38 AM
No they don't. :blink:

Maybe it's my New England accent but, the L sound comes from the front of the mouth as the front of the tongue moves up and forward. R comes from the back of the mouth as the back of the tongue moves and up and the front down.
The American R comes from the throat, and is almost impossible for non Native speakers (maybe not for Teutons and Nords).  Pronounce a Latin R and you'll see it's in the front of the mouth and very close in shape to the L.

The Larch

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on March 22, 2011, 08:18:03 PMMy favorite is when they try to pronounce "beach".
"Teacher, this summer I went to bitch!"

Are you sure they're not Portuguese? Did they get rubbed?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 23, 2011, 07:04:35 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 22, 2011, 07:31:38 AM
No they don't. :blink:

Maybe it's my New England accent but, the L sound comes from the front of the mouth as the front of the tongue moves up and forward. R comes from the back of the mouth as the back of the tongue moves and up and the front down.
The American R comes from the throat, and is almost impossible for non Native speakers (maybe not for Teutons and Nords).  Pronounce a Latin R and you'll see it's in the front of the mouth and very close in shape to the L.
Well, I'm teaching them English, not Spanish so even if that's true I don't see what the Latin R has to do with anything.

Is the American R any different from the British R? Tyr says not, but then he uses a ghastly accent so I don't know if his input is valid. 

1 Karma Chameleon point

Savonarola

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 23, 2011, 08:33:36 AM
Well, I'm teaching them English, not Spanish so even if that's true I don't see what the Latin R has to do with anything.

Is the American R any different from the British R? Tyr says not, but then he uses a ghastly accent so I don't know if his input is valid.

In most of the England speakers have a non-rhotic R, while in most of the United States we tend to use a rhotic R (Boston and New Yawk being the obvious exceptions.)  Here's a Wikipedia article with an explanation of the differences and some maps:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhotic_and_non-rhotic_accents
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Savonarola on March 23, 2011, 11:43:09 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 23, 2011, 08:33:36 AM

In most of the England speakers have a non-rhotic R, while in most of the United States we tend to use a rhotic R (Boston and New Yawk being the obvious exceptions.)  Here's a Wikipedia article with an explanation of the differences and some maps:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhotic_and_non-rhotic_accents

Where we say an R varies, but when we say it, it sounds the same.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Jacob

Quote from: Caliga on March 22, 2011, 07:43:52 AMAs the board's resident gauche motherfucker, I thought it was my job to be an ignorant twat. :)

Job well done :cheers:

QuoteNo but seriously, while I've known many Chinese-Americans, the only actual Chinese immigrant I regularly interact with is the owner of the Chinese restaurant in town.  I don't reall noticing her screwing up her 'r' and 'l' sounds, but she has this way of speaking English but making it sound like it's not English.

Example: English - Thank you, have a good night.

Her broken English - Tank-yu haa gu-naa.

Oh yeah - lots of ways for Chinese to have heavy, hard to understand accents. Seems like consonant endings are a big one, as you identify.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 23, 2011, 05:25:31 PM

:blink: WTF are you smoking, Tim?  Being native speakers, we don't notice the differences in pronunciation as much, but they're there.  Several of my friends and I used to make fun of a friend from Brooklyn for "not being able" to say "party" by asking her why she kept talking about the bathroom.
Experience bij!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: DontSayBanana on March 23, 2011, 05:55:27 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 23, 2011, 05:25:31 PM

:blink: WTF are you smoking, Tim?  Being native speakers, we don't notice the differences in pronunciation as much, but they're there.  Several of my friends and I used to make fun of a friend from Brooklyn for "not being able" to say "party" by asking her why she kept talking about the bathroom.
She's not pronouncing the R there.
As I said, when we say an R varies, but when we say it, it sounds the same. If she says a word where she does pronounce the R, it will sound the same as any other American. It will come from the back of the throat.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Jacob

Ed Anger

Ching chong, bing bong. Me love you long time GI joe! 2 dolla!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive