News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

China's Brue Ocean naval developments

Started by CountDeMoney, March 21, 2011, 06:18:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 21, 2011, 05:50:52 PM
Professor Stonewall Jackoff (PHD in Squee) wrote the book A Confederate in Chinaman land.

Nathan Bedford Fong's People's Cavalry in action.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Razgovory on March 21, 2011, 06:05:40 PM
If the Chinese are so impressed with Mahan, why are they building so many Subs?
SSGs and boomers can do a lot more damage these days than a dreadnought. 
PDH!

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 21, 2011, 08:18:04 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 21, 2011, 05:50:52 PM
Professor Stonewall Jackoff (PHD in Squee) wrote the book A Confederate in Chinaman land.

Nathan Bedford Fong's People's Cavalry in action.

I see you PLA horses, and raise you with PLA babes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFkZHs_b7i4&feature=related

CountDeMoney

Monoriu

Quote from: Caliga on March 21, 2011, 06:44:31 AM
For he is an Engrishman! :cool:

I don't quite get the Engrish jokes, really.  A lot of Chinese have real trouble pronouncing "r" sounds.  What usually happens is they do the reverse - pronouncing "very" as "vely". This is particularly bad for Cantonese, because there is no "r" in the Cantonese dialect.  There are plenty of "l" sounds, though.

Jacob

Quote from: Slargos on March 21, 2011, 04:41:52 PMJust because you married a slant-eye doesn't mean you have to passive-aggressively defend all gooks at all times, ya race traitor.  :P

1. I have whatever rights I reserve for myself, and employ them as I wish in whatever combination of passive and/or aggressive that pleases me.

2. There was no defending of anybody involved in my post at all.

3. The purpose of my post was primarily to point out to Caliga that he was being an ignorant twat.

Jacob

Quote from: Monoriu on March 21, 2011, 09:53:00 PMI don't quite get the Engrish jokes, really.  A lot of Chinese have real trouble pronouncing "r" sounds.  What usually happens is they do the reverse - pronouncing "very" as "vely". This is particularly bad for Cantonese, because there is no "r" in the Cantonese dialect.  There are plenty of "l" sounds, though.

As you're probably aware, the Japanese tend to confuse L and R when speaking English. It's simply that people are applying 80s Japanese stereotype humour to the Chinese today because they can't really tell the difference.

Jacob

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 21, 2011, 08:26:41 PMI just jizzed in glorious revolutionary spirit.

My favourite was a cop I saw about a year ago, slightly less in the hotness factor I think (the pictures were pretty grainy anyhow) but I think you'd approve.

Some jackass had taken someone hostage at a bank-machine. He had a gun to the victim and was yelling whatever his demands were, keeping the police at bay.

This woman, a cop but dressed like some average office worker in a sensible yet tight skirt, pumps and a nice blouse, makes like a regular pedestrian for a bit, then walks up to the perp, pulls out her handgun and shoots him dead from right up close.

That's her job; police assassin, no muss no fuss, just another day at the office.

When I saw that I thought I might have found your dream date. Sadly I didn't know how to get her number for you.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Jacob on March 22, 2011, 12:57:34 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on March 21, 2011, 09:53:00 PMI don't quite get the Engrish jokes, really.  A lot of Chinese have real trouble pronouncing "r" sounds.  What usually happens is they do the reverse - pronouncing "very" as "vely". This is particularly bad for Cantonese, because there is no "r" in the Cantonese dialect.  There are plenty of "l" sounds, though.

As you're probably aware, the Japanese tend to confuse L and R when speaking English. It's simply that people are applying 80s Japanese stereotype humour to the Chinese today because they can't really tell the difference.

Yes, where English has both the l and r sounds Japanese only has the sound intermediate between the two. They can learn to say both sounds but may still have problems actually hearing the difference. I found that saying l and thinking r got my pronounciation of the Japanese sound roughly correct. Meanwhile Russian apparently uses all 3 of these sounds  :hmm:

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 22, 2011, 02:41:59 AM
Quote from: Jacob on March 22, 2011, 12:57:34 AM

Yes, where English has both the l and r sounds Japanese only has the sound intermediate between the two. They can learn to say both sounds but may still have problems actually hearing the difference. I found that saying l and thinking r got my pronounciation of the Japanese sound roughly correct. Meanwhile Russian apparently uses all 3 of these sounds  :hmm:
L and R just sound completely opposite to me.

Koreans don't seem to have that much trouble with R, but they absolutely butcher V and Z. Thankfully those letters are a lot less common.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

This reminds me of one of my high school teachers.  She was 100% Chinese, but generally spoke almost perfect English. 

Except when it comes to the "R" sounds.  She just couldn't do it.  Once, she kept saying "lula" to us, and the whole class was confused.

She actually meant ruler.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 22, 2011, 03:02:39 AM
Take note of the position of your mouth and tongue while pronouncing both.  They're very close.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 22, 2011, 07:05:16 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 22, 2011, 03:02:39 AM
Take note of the position of your mouth and tongue while pronouncing both.  They're very close.
No they don't. :blink:

Maybe it's my New England accent but, the L sound comes from the front of the mouth as the front of the tongue moves up and forward. R comes from the back of the mouth as the back of the tongue moves up and the front moves down.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

As Tim says. L comes very much from the front whilst R is like a growl, very from the back of the throat. Though I can't detect much tongue movement with R.

L&R being mixed up- I have far more often seen that as a stereotype of Japanese than Chinese. I've only ever encountered it with Japanese too.
However in the old TV series Mind Your Language it was the Chinese character (a crazy Maoist) who always got them mixed up whilst the Japanese guy just stuck to adding o and u to the end of sentances. Wonder if this means it used to be more a Chinese stereotype or they just decided to share out equally the oriental mistakes.
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

Quote from: Jacob on March 22, 2011, 12:53:07 AM
3. The purpose of my post was primarily to point out to Caliga that he was being an ignorant twat.
As the board's resident gauche motherfucker, I thought it was my job to be an ignorant twat. :)

No but seriously, while I've known many Chinese-Americans, the only actual Chinese immigrant I regularly interact with is the owner of the Chinese restaurant in town.  I don't reall noticing her screwing up her 'r' and 'l' sounds, but she has this way of speaking English but making it sound like it's not English.

Example: English - Thank you, have a good night.

Her broken English - Tank-yu haa gu-naa.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points