News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Why is there no looting in Japan?

Started by Slargos, March 15, 2011, 12:35:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slargos

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/edwest/100079703/why-is-there-no-looting-in-japan/

QuoteThe landscape of parts of Japan looks like the  aftermath of World War Two; no industrialised country since then has  suffered such a death toll. The one tiny, tiny consolation is the extent  to which it shows how humanity can rally round in times of adversity,  with heroic British rescue teams joining colleagues from the US and  elsewhere to fly out. And solidarity seems especially strong in Japan itself. Perhaps even  more impressive than Japan's technological power is its social strength,  with supermarkets cutting prices and vending machine owners giving out  free drinks as people work together to survive. Most noticeably of all,  there has been no looting, and I'm not the only one curious about this.
This is quite unusual among human cultures, and it's unlikely it would be the case in Britain. During the 2007 floods in the West Country  abandoned cars were broken into and free packs of bottled water were  stolen. There was looting in Chile after the earthquake last year – so  much so that troops were sent in; in New Orleans, Hurricane Katrina saw  looting on a shocking scale.
Why do some cultures react to disaster by reverting to everyone for  himself, but others – especially the Japanese – display altruism even in  adversity?                                                                       

When they ask me, "Why'd you do it, Slargos? Why'd you post that thread? Are you some sort of racism junkie?" I won't say a goddamned thing, because they won't understand.

Warspite

Looting in the West Country - an area known for its ethnic diversity.  :D
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Grey Fox

There isn't any blacks or arabs in Chile either.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DontSayBanana

1. When they say "no looting," I'm going to assume that to mean, "looting is not widespread."  It's happening, and it's just either not widespread enough to be significant, or else coverage of looting is embargoed because it'd be a national embarrassment, which brings me to point #2.

2. It's not exactly a secret that cultures like the Japanese have a greater effect of societal responsibility.  Places aren't being looted, but shop-owners are giving stuff out.  When that popped up in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina here, it made news as an oddity.  Less pressure on the supply side eases pressure on the demand side.
Experience bij!

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Warspite on March 15, 2011, 12:40:36 PM

cider-crazed inbreds  :D

Warspite

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 15, 2011, 12:44:00 PM
Quote from: Warspite on March 15, 2011, 12:40:36 PM

cider-crazed inbreds  :D
Good point. The West Country doesn't just lack ethnic diversity, it lacks genetic diversity.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Barrister

I'm not sure if you were aware of this Slargos, but the Japanese aren't white...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Slargos

Quote from: Barrister on March 15, 2011, 12:47:19 PM
I'm not sure if you were aware of this Slargos, but the Japanese aren't white...

Now that you mention it...  :hmm:

Sahib

They are honorary Aryans  :mad:
Stonewall=Worst Mod ever

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Slargos on March 15, 2011, 12:50:34 PM

According to apartheid-era South Africa they were ;)

Slargos

Their whiteness is of course of no importance.

They are of the civilized peoples, and their society is not broken by the kult of multi. Therefore they do not loot. QED.

See, Haiti and New Orleans.

Warspite

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 15, 2011, 12:54:21 PM

Really? I would have imagined that they would have been considered "coloured".

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Richard Hakluyt

I believe the Duque is correct, South Koreans too IIRC, but not those grubby North Koreans.

Slargos

Quote from: Warspite on March 15, 2011, 12:57:50 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 15, 2011, 12:54:21 PM

Really? I would have imagined that they would have been considered "coloured".

You are unimaginative like most of your kind.

Barrister

Quote from: Slargos on March 15, 2011, 12:57:29 PM
Their whiteness is of course of no importance.

They are of the civilized peoples, and their society is not broken by the kult of multi. Therefore they do not loot. QED.

See, Haiti and New Orleans.

I thought Chile was both civilized and not particularily multicultural...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.