News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

School bully gets what he deserves

Started by Valdemar, March 15, 2011, 06:22:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on March 15, 2011, 11:12:57 PM
I think a great deal of the problem was due to the school being brand new.
:zipped:

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on March 15, 2011, 06:28:16 PM
This thread makes me scratch my head.

I was never Mr. Popularity, but I really wasn't ever bullied either.  And I was a pretty big geek in school, no way around that.

That's my experience too. I wonder if the fact that we both ended up as lawyers has something to do with it. I wonder if Malthus was bullied.

Slargos

post hoc, ergo propter hoc

I wonder if you were both knocked on the head at some point, or perhaps accidentally made to ingest your own feces.

Martinus

Well, it may sound like too much of a generalization, but ultimately I think bullying happens to people who induce aggression in other people - whether because they are different, or conceited, or snotty or whatever. It is not always fair - people get aggravated by stuff like other people being gay, or black or whatever - but it's a fact of life.

When you grow up, this kind of aggression does not go away - it just becomes more civilized - you are less likely to meet with physical violence or direct insults, but you are still being talked behind your back, overlooked for promotion or whatnot.

So my point is that being in a bullying environment teaches kids to develop social skills to either mask ("fit in") or transform this into non-passive-aggressive behaviour (sense of humour helps a lot for example if you are different and/or better at something than everyone else, want to stay being so, but don't want to be punched in the face too often).

I was a privileged background nerd who was gay (albeit unrealized at the moment), never had a girlfriend, had best grades in class and managed to get off attending PEd classes because I was so completely inept at sports. Yet I managed not to get bullied in a school that (because it was still under communist regime) had every kid from the area, including juvenile delinquents.

Sorry if it sounds socially darwinian but that's the way the world works.

Valdemar

Quote from: grumbler on March 15, 2011, 11:43:46 AM
In general, people who instigate fights do so by engaging in violence.  Schools, like society at large, certainly frown more on violence than verbal bullying, but when we talk about bullying, we generally aren't talking about verbal bullying.

I think in many cases verbal bullying can be for more damaing, esp. now where it can be spread out on facebook and other fora pretty quickly.

V

Martinus

Quote from: Valdemar on March 16, 2011, 02:45:13 AM
Quote from: grumbler on March 15, 2011, 11:43:46 AM
In general, people who instigate fights do so by engaging in violence.  Schools, like society at large, certainly frown more on violence than verbal bullying, but when we talk about bullying, we generally aren't talking about verbal bullying.

I think in many cases verbal bullying can be for more damaing, esp. now where it can be spread out on facebook and other fora pretty quickly.

V

See, that's the kind of pussifying stuff I'm talking about it. "Verbal bullying". Suck it up for fucks sake. I can understand preventing more extreme forms of physical violence, but this is where it ends.

Valdemar

Quote from: Martinus on March 16, 2011, 02:48:56 AM

See, that's the kind of pussifying stuff I'm talking about it. "Verbal bullying". Suck it up for fucks sake. I can understand preventing more extreme forms of physical violence, but this is where it ends.

A good thing you wont have kids marty dear.

A good number of verbal bullying can be just as terrrifying as a physical, espcially since it can reach you outside of school, yuo have no safe havens. there has been alot of cases of pics taken and spread in mbile chains alongwith harsh comments that have made kids try suicide and in one case (US ofc ;)) where a mother resorted to pretending to be teen driving one of her daughters classmates to suicide on a social media.

So yeah, when we were kids verbal abuse could be harsh, degrading and alot harder to take than physical, but it stayed in school. Not so today.

V

Eddie Teach

Kids today need to learn the same mantra we did- "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me." While not completely accurate it's a useful thing to tell oneself.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 16, 2011, 03:08:50 AM
Kids today need to learn the same mantra we did- "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me." While not completely accurate it's a useful thing to tell oneself.
That's a stupid mantra.  Public humiliation that all your immature peers know about is nothing to scoff at, I'll take a couple of broken non-critical bones over that.

DGuller

I was never bullied in US, I managed to just be one of the guys on neither end of the bullying spectrum.  Ukraine was an entirely different story.  I don't think there was a month when I wasn't involved in some non-trivial fight.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on March 16, 2011, 04:01:19 AM
That's a stupid mantra.  Public humiliation that all your immature peers know about is nothing to scoff at, I'll take a couple of broken non-critical bones over that.

Public humiliation is only as painful as you let it be.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valdemar

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 16, 2011, 05:18:23 AM

Sure it is, but kids should have a decent chance of handling it and today some cases are more like persecution and libel than mere mockery because you are fat. Not to mention backed up by mass distribution and photos.

V

Warspite

Quote from: Martinus on March 16, 2011, 02:41:36 AM
Sorry if it sounds socially darwinian but that's the way the world works.

So in the end, you're no better than the invaders 72 years ago.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

chipwich

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 16, 2011, 05:18:23 AM

That's not true at all for children.

Berkut

I love the idea that since Marty was not bullied, then the fact that other people WERE bullied somehow made him a better person. And their being beat up and humiliated is a necessary thing to happen in order for him to "not be a pussy".

Does that apply to bullies who beat the shit out of gay guys? Just a necessary thing in order to serve as an example to others, so they can function better in our society?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned