Main Menu

School bully gets what he deserves

Started by Valdemar, March 15, 2011, 06:22:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Berkut on March 15, 2011, 08:42:42 AM
Quote from: Valmy on March 15, 2011, 08:37:01 AM
Quote from: garbon on March 15, 2011, 08:27:42 AM
Obviously. Schools can't celebrate children fighting.

I was always amazed in school how the authorities seemed to consistently punish the kid who was provoked but leave the trouble makers to raise more hell untouched.

If a bully is going around provoking fights he probably should be punished also yes?

Yeah, but that is usually because it is the kid responding who is actually seen, while the instigator is not seen. So you end up with one kid who *certainly* did something wrong, and another kid who you only have the word of someone else that they did something wrong.

This is a bullshit excuse though - it basically happens, IMO, because the adults don't want to go to the effort of actually figuring out what happened. That would involve actually talking to multiple kids to sort out what really happened. Too much bother. So they just punish the kid they KNOW did something wrong.

Although this could be changing. Certainly one thing in my kids elementary school that I have been really impressed with is how seriously the principals and teachers take bullying. It is absolutely not tolerated, and they seem to put significant resources into making that clear to the students and parents, and from what I can tell, it actually seems to have worked. Interesting to see if it holds true when my son goes off to middle school next year.

Yeah, that is something I'll be looking for too. In my day as a schoolkid, it was more of a wild west attitude - if you got beat, you were expected to suck it up, and if you complained about it kids and teachers alike held you in low esteem.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Warspite

I was always amazed in school how the authorities seemed to consistently punish the kid who was provoked but leave the trouble makers to raise more hell untouched.

If a bully is going around provoking fights he probably should be punished also yes?

I remember the two times I stood up to bullying by fighting back, I ended up with a three-hour headmaster's detention on both occasions. But then we were endlessly lectured by teachers on how there was no place for bullying in a school.

The conclusion I drew is that it was better to take the odd gut-punch then to get suspended from school.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Razgovory

Quote from: Warspite on March 15, 2011, 10:51:33 AM

I remember the two times I stood up to bullying by fighting back, I ended up with a three-hour headmaster's detention on both occasions. But then we were endlessly lectured by teachers on how there was no place for bullying in a school.

The conclusion I drew is that it was better to take the odd gut-punch then to get suspended from school.

Yeah, I thought this too.  Then some kid broke my fucking arm.  I wish I was smarter then and stood up to the bullies.  I also wish I had the courage to tell the teachers they were incompetent fucks.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on March 15, 2011, 09:51:10 AM
I wasn't talking specifically about this case.
In general, people who instigate fights do so by engaging in violence.  Schools, like society at large, certainly frown more on violence than verbal bullying, but when we talk about bullying, we generally aren't talking about verbal bullying. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

It depends.  If the bullying is pretty much a one-off thing, then it probably is better to gut it out.  If it is repeated, though, you are probably better-off getting the suspension than taking the abuse long-term.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Razgovory on March 15, 2011, 11:38:23 AM

Yeah, I thought this too.  Then some kid broke my fucking arm.  I wish I was smarter then and stood up to the bullies.  I also wish I had the courage to tell the teachers they were incompetent fucks.
And I wish I could always tell a story that would one-up every story anyone tells on this forum.  :(

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Malthus on March 15, 2011, 09:55:00 AM
Yeah, that is something I'll be looking for too. In my day as a schoolkid, it was more of a wild west attitude - if you got beat, you were expected to suck it up, and if you complained about it kids and teachers alike held you in low esteem.
There have been advantages to all the "pussy parents" willing to sue at the drop of a hat, and one of them is that schools are expected to be a lot better at stopping bullying and abuse.  The old "boys will be boys and girls will be girls" attitude seems to me to be pretty much gone.

Bayraktar!

Warspite

Quote from: grumbler on March 15, 2011, 11:49:55 AM
There have been advantages to all the "pussy parents" willing to sue at the drop of a hat, and one of them is that schools are expected to be a lot better at stopping bullying and abuse.  The old "boys will be boys and girls will be girls" attitude seems to me to be pretty much gone.

All my harsh, arbitrary mistreatment at school did was give me a victim complex.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

viper37

Quote from: Valdemar on March 15, 2011, 06:22:09 AM
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=6e9_1300102958

A school bully's victimn finally cracks, gives his tormentor his due  :menace:

And is sent home for his effort while the bully goes free :(

V
that's the problem with bullying in schools.  Teachers&directors penalize the victimes, not the tormentors.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

I got bullied a fair amount in 6th and 7th grade but then started fighting back and got suspended several times in 7th and 8th grade. By high school people mostly left me alone.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on March 15, 2011, 11:47:32 AM

And I wish I could always tell a story that would one-up every story anyone tells on this forum.  :(
[/quote]

It's shame you can't.  I guess you lived a boring life.

GOD DAMMIT.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

Quote from: grumbler on March 15, 2011, 11:49:55 AM

Heh, true. Plaintiff-side lawyers, to the rescue!  :D

On another note - somewhat counterintuitively (in that parents usually go on about how much better things were when they were kids) I have found the teachers I have dealt with for kindergarden uniformly excellent - they clearly explained the pedogogical purposes for their lesson plans and seemed to just have a grip on things, and the kids actually seem to want to be there. Way I remember kindergarden (albeit memory is spotty) it was more like a zoo/jail.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Slargos

Quote from: grumbler on March 15, 2011, 11:47:32 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 15, 2011, 11:38:23 AM

:lol:

Harassing the crippled kids now? Were you the bully growing up, or did getting bullied turn you into this mean spirited grumpy fucker?

More importantly, when you first carved these stories into cave walls, did your contemporaries consider it graffiti or was it considered a valid form of artistic expression?

merithyn

I've had to deal with bullying with my kids on both sides of the coin.

As a package-deal, Carter & Jak were rarely bullied in elementary school, though they could - and often did - terrorize some of the socially weaker kids in elementary school. They quickly outgrew this, however, when their younger brother was the victim of a bully. Their response to the bully? Though the bully was quite a bit bigger than either boy, they scared him so badly that I was called to the school for a parent conference. End result: When the conversation was over - and all three of my boys were called in to talk about things - I was apologized to and no one was suspended. (Not even the bully, though he never bothered any of my kids again.)

When we moved downstate, Jak was bullied by a boy almost from the first day. After a few months of this, in which he never mentioned anything to me about it, the boy walked up to Jak in P.E. and punched Jak in the face. Jak didn't respond, the boy walked away, and then came back to take another swing. Jak picked the boy up, threw him down the bleachers, and proceeded to choke the shit out of the kid. End result: Jak received a one-day suspension and the other boy received a three-day suspension. I took Jak out to lunch and for ice cream, as I felt he'd done exactly what needed to have been done.

Jeremy was bullied by several boys during his seventh-grade year during Cross Country. This was while I worked at the school, so I was privy to the conversations going on about all of this. The kids were throwing sticks, rocks, and clumps of dirt at Jeremy and a few other kids. Jeremy ignored them completely, and went about his business. One of the other kids - a 6th-grade girl - went home in tears, and her parents showed up at the school pretty upset. End result: No suspensions, no missed cross country (they were the school's best chance at a State bid), nothing. A "don't do that anymore" talking to from the principal with their parents in the room. Didn't do squat to stop the bullying, so Carter & Jak talked to a couple of the boys' older brothers and basically warned them that they were going to go to the Middle School to kick the boys' asses if it didn't stop. The boys' older brothers put a stop to things.

Riley was a bully in elementary school. When she decided she didn't like someone, she made it her mission to make that person's life a living hell. At one point, one little girl refused to go to school for nearly a week because Riley had made things so awful for her, to the point of kicking the girl during P.E. leaving a softball-sized bruise on her thigh. I was called to the school, where I had to sit and watch the girl and her mother both tear up as the described all of the things my daughter had done to this child. End result:  I was furious when the Principal refused to suspend Riley, so I pulled her out for three days, telling the other girl's mother that her daughter had a right to go to school without having to worry about if Riley were going to terrorize her. Riley received one of the few spankings of her life, was grounded to her room for 24 hours, and she and I had a very long talk about what her actions had done to the other girl. I then let her brothers know what she'd done, and they lit into her. Riley was allowed to go back to school (by me) after three days out, and she never bothered the girl again. In fact, Riley even invited the girl to a party she held a couple of months later. Ri never liked the other girl, but she never bullied her again.

By the way, in the six schools in three different school districts that my children have been in, they have all had a zero-tolerance for bullying policy in place. One - the Middle School - had even produced and made a video about ending bullying in the schools. It made little difference in their reaction to the bullying that took place. We certainly didn't receive a zero-tolerance reaction.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...