Japan hit by 8.9 quake and following tsunami

Started by Pedrito, March 11, 2011, 03:45:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

I'm pretty amazed at the Japanese level of preparedness.

On the same day as the big quake in Japan, a lesser quake hit Yunnan (5.3 or 5.6 or thereabouts). There's more than 10 000 dead, many more than the number of Japanese dead; and the people in Yunnan did not have to contend with a tsunami which is what seems to have done the bulk of the real damage in Japan.

The difference, I think, is all down to proper construction (and proper building codes being properly reinforced). Here in Vancouver, the new highrises all have to be able to withstand a 7.0 quake. I wonder how that'll look if we're near the epicentre of a quake like the one that hit in Japan.  For the resultant tsunami, the big difference will be whether the epicentre is East or West of Vancouver Island. If it's East, we could be in real trouble; especially in Richmond, which is flat, barely above sea-level and right on the coast.

Cecil

Apparently the cause of the blast at the number 1 reactor had little to do with the actual core. Some expert at bbc said that the water vapour got so hot that it chemically reacted with the zirconium inside and created zirconiumoxide leaving the hydrogen to form hydrogen gas (Hindenburg anyone?). When they tried to pump the gas outside there were apparently some leakage from the pipes so a considerable amount escaped in the outer casing of the building where it came in contact with the oxygen in the air and well....BANG.

Any comments to this hypothesis Brain?

I have to say though that this showes to me not the dangers of nuclear power but the amazing resilience of western plants. An 9 earthquake followed by a 10 meter tsunami followed by a rather large blast (you can see the shockwave in the fotage) and still barely a scratch on the reactor itself. And meltdown was avoided despite all 13 backupgenerators failing. Impressive indeed.

The Brain

Quote from: Cecil on March 12, 2011, 04:44:34 PM
Apparently the cause of the blast at the number 1 reactor had little to do with the actual core. Some expert at bbc said that the water vapour got so hot that it chemically reacted with the zirconium inside and created zirconiumoxide leaving the hydrogen to form hydrogen gas (Hindenburg anyone?). When they tried to pump the gas outside there were apparently some leakage from the pipes so a considerable amount escaped in the outer casing of the building where it came in contact with the oxygen in the air and well....BANG.

I have to say though that this showes to me not the dangers of nuclear power but the amazing resilience of western plants. An 9 earthquake followed by a 10 meter tsunami followed by a rather large blast (you can see the shockwave in the fotage) and still barely a scratch on the reactor itself. And meltdown was avoided despite all 13 backupgenerators failing. Impressive indeed.

Doesn't sound unreasonable to me. But I am not a reactor expert, I just play one on Languish.

And reactors are indeed very safe.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Brain on March 12, 2011, 05:22:27 PM

But I am not a reactor expert, I just play one on Languish.

Say it ain't so!
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 11, 2011, 10:56:45 AM
Since the train in Tokyo were suspended following the Earthquake one of my Japanese co-worker walked home from the Office. Took him 4 hours. Crazy bastards.
This your man?

http://worldblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/03/11/6245844-people-were-screaming-and-crying

Quote'People were screaming and crying'

By msnbc.com's Jennifer Carlile and F. Brinley Bruton

Shuji Kubodera thought he was going to throw up when the earth convulsed.

"I had to hold onto the desk and after it became big I (hid) below the desk," the 34-year-old systems engineer told msnbc.com via Skype from Tokyo. "Some people were screaming and crying ... it was then happening every ten minutes so I felt like vomiting."

The massive quake — the biggest in modern Japanese history — and a series of aftershocks slammed the island nation's eastern coast Friday, unleashing a 23-foot tsunami.

Despite the magnitude of the disaster around them, Kubodera and his colleagues stayed at work.  After the elevators stopped working they all trudged up 10 flights for a 4 p.m. meeting.  Everybody showed up but then they decided to cancel the meeting.   

He later had to walk four hours to get home because the subway had stopped working.  Kubodera considered staying at work like many of his colleagues but he worried about his two dogs and apartment.  When he arrived at 10 p.m., the place was a mess as his things had fallen out of the cupboards.

With fires engulfing buildings in the country's capital, watching the television news left him stunned.

"I wasn't able to believe it was really happening," he said.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 12, 2011, 08:05:16 PM

<snip>
Jesus Christ Timmy.  What's the fucking point of cutting out a line of Brain's post and leaving the behometh he quoted intact?

MadImmortalMan

My brother's ship is headed there to provide aid.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

KRonn

Nasty devastation! A large city, Sendai, and other areas wiped out. Maybe even significant changes in the coastline, leaving areas flooded in the ocean. Looking at the pics it looked like a WW2 carpet bombing.   :(

Yeah, the nuke plants are looking a bit scary. I assume this will likely sink ideas of more nuke power in the US. 

lustindarkness

Quote"I had to hold onto the desk and after it became big I (hid) below the desk," the 34-year-old systems engineer told msnbc.com via Skype from Tokyo. "Some people were screaming and crying ... it was then happening every ten minutes so I felt like vomiting."

Motion sickness from an earthquake? Thats a lot of shaking. Maybe emotional?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

CountDeMoney

Time lapse video of the tsunami effects in Morro Bay, California yesterday, where my aunt and uncle live.

http://www.youtube.com/v/RVD2nDWVjiA&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3

The Brain

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 12, 2011, 08:05:16 PM

Say it ain't so!

Tsk tsk. Languish is not the place for sarcasm.

The Brain

Quote from: lustindarkness on March 12, 2011, 10:31:21 PM
Quote"I had to hold onto the desk and after it became big I (hid) below the desk," the 34-year-old systems engineer told msnbc.com via Skype from Tokyo. "Some people were screaming and crying ... it was then happening every ten minutes so I felt like vomiting."

I think many Languishers feel like vomiting every ten minutes.

sbr

Quote from: The Brain on March 13, 2011, 12:44:13 AM
Quote from: lustindarkness on March 12, 2011, 10:31:21 PM

I think many Languishers feel like vomiting every ten minutes.

Only when reading your posts. :)

Berkut

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 12, 2011, 10:47:00 PM
Time lapse video of the tsunami effects in Morro Bay, California yesterday, where my aunt and uncle live.

http://www.youtube.com/v/RVD2nDWVjiA&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3

Wow, that might have been one of the most uninteresting videos I've ever seen.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.