Japan hit by 8.9 quake and following tsunami

Started by Pedrito, March 11, 2011, 03:45:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legbiter

:(

My wife's brother is married to a Japanese. They're doing fine in Hiroshima.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

viper37

Another one of 6,7, on the other side of the island. Avalanche & landslide.  It's 2012 all over again.  Wait, I mean, in advance.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Kleves

Quote from: Tyr on March 11, 2011, 02:22:17 PM
Apparently there's quite the risk of a nuclear meltdown developing at a power plant...
Japan's future:
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Darth Wagtaros

Alarming. Where does Mecha-Godzilla fit in?
PDH!

Jacob

Quote from: Mr.Penguin on March 11, 2011, 12:19:00 PM

QuoteFlames rise from an oil refinery after a powerful earthquake in Ichihara, Chiba prefecture (state), Japan, Friday, March 11, 2011. The largest earthquake in Japan's recorded history slammed the eastern coast Friday.

That one f**king big fireball... :blink:

By buddy lives not far from there.

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on March 11, 2011, 06:52:24 PM
Quote from: Mr.Penguin on March 11, 2011, 12:19:00 PM

QuoteFlames rise from an oil refinery after a powerful earthquake in Ichihara, Chiba prefecture (state), Japan, Friday, March 11, 2011. The largest earthquake in Japan's recorded history slammed the eastern coast Friday.

That one f**king big fireball... :blink:

By buddy lives not far from there.
I'm think that's just a case of over-the-top special effects... :unsure:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Kleves

Apparently three nuclear reactors are in trouble, with thousands evacuated. I don't suppose this will help the cause of nuclear power much. Story: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42025882/ns/world_news-asia-pacific/?GT1=43001
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Kleves

Did they get the specs from the Soviets or something?

Josquius

Quote from: Kleves on March 11, 2011, 07:15:48 PM
Apparently three nuclear reactors are in trouble, with thousands evacuated. I don't suppose this will help the cause of nuclear power much. Story: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42025882/ns/world_news-asia-pacific/?GT1=43001
We can hope.
They should be able to fix the plants without anything major happening. Then perhaps nuclear proponents can say 'see! it even goes through a huge earthquake and stays safe!'

I've read elsewhere this '1000 times the normal level' stuff is the media selectively using facts to try and scare people. 1000 times 0.00(...)01 is still well under the safe limit.
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

PDH

Instead of nuclear they should have bought clean Wyoming coal.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Caliga

Quote from: PDH on March 11, 2011, 08:32:23 PM
Instead of nuclear they should have bought clean Wyoming Kentucky coal.
I like money. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

lustindarkness

Whats with all these strong aftershocks? Godzilla is not done yet?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom