Japan hit by 8.9 quake and following tsunami

Started by Pedrito, March 11, 2011, 03:45:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

I sense an opportunity to buy cheap flight tickets to Japan  :ph34r:

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 11, 2011, 06:34:48 AM
It was the helicopter footage of the masssive tsunami surge across all that farmland that bothered me;  there were cars and trucks attempting to outrace it, and they didn't.
Poor bastards :(
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: Monoriu on March 11, 2011, 08:41:16 AM
I sense an opportunity to buy cheap flight tickets to Japan  :ph34r:
Yeah, China's going to try sending some spies... I mean relief workers to Japan.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Caliga

Hundreds now reported killed in Sendai. :(

Hey, being Timmy is sort of fun. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

Since the train in Tokyo were suspended following the Earthquake one of my Japanese co-worker walked home from the Office. Took him 4 hours. Crazy bastards.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Berkut

Said hawaii was expected 6.5ft. waves. Isn't that just a middling decent surf day for Hawaii?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Richard Hakluyt

The wavelength is much longer in a tsunami, hence the volume of water is much greater than in an ordinary wave.

Jacob

What a fucking mess.

I'm happy that my buddy in Japan is okay.

Not looking forward to the day we get the big one out here on the West Coast.

Mr.Penguin

QuoteFlames rise from an oil refinery after a powerful earthquake in Ichihara, Chiba prefecture (state), Japan, Friday, March 11, 2011. The largest earthquake in Japan's recorded history slammed the eastern coast Friday.

That one f**king big fireball... :blink:
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

Caliga

Look at all that petroleum going to waste. :cry:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

dps

Quote from: Tyr on March 11, 2011, 07:52:23 AM
Fuck. Really bad stuff.

Bad for me personally too, been hoping to go to Japan later this year.

Why would it be bad for you personally?  Tourism is going to be down, so you might be able to get some good deals.  And before anybody accuses me of being crass, well, yeah, that might be a crass way of looking at it, but hey, I'm not the one worrying about how the disaster affects my vacation plans.

Razgovory

Mushroom clouds over Japan?  Happy days are here again!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

lustindarkness

Some of the video of the tsunami sweeping up a whole town, cars on the road, boats and houses  :o  :(
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Maladict

Another one?

Quote1908: A magnitude 6.6 quake has now struck in central Japan, AP news agency reports, causing Tokyo buildings to sway. It is not clear if this is connected to the earlier quake and aftershocks.

Josquius

Apparently there's quite the risk of a nuclear meltdown developing at a power plant...

Some crazy photos:

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2011/03/massive_earthquake_hits_japan.html

Quote from: dps on March 11, 2011, 12:42:43 PM

Why would it be bad for you personally?  Tourism is going to be down, so you might be able to get some good deals.  And before anybody accuses me of being crass, well, yeah, that might be a crass way of looking at it, but hey, I'm not the one worrying about how the disaster affects my vacation plans.
Work plans actually.

But its not my primary concern of course. I was just being languishy about it.
██████
██████
██████