And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football '11-'12

Started by katmai, March 08, 2011, 11:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on May 13, 2012, 12:06:25 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 12, 2012, 11:32:39 PM
Florida st. would make much more sense in the SEC. This is stupid.

Florida State cannot join the SEC.  The reasons for this should be obvious.
They're whiny babies that can't stand instate competition.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 13, 2012, 12:10:18 AM

If you are talking about Florida then...yes I suppose but that is not really the reason they block the other Florida schools.

But seriously they have never shied away from playing Miami and FLorida.  So what the fuck are you talking about?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

stjaba

Quote from: Valmy on May 13, 2012, 12:13:20 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 13, 2012, 12:10:18 AM

If you are talking about Florida then...yes I suppose but that is not really the reason they block the other Florida schools.

But seriously they have never shied away from playing Miami and FLorida.  So what the fuck are you talking about?

I'm not sure which schools in the SEC blocked it(presumably UF and South Carolina), but both Clemson and FSU weren't considered in the last realignment carousel because they were in pre-existing SEC states.

PDH

Boise State apparently "forgot" to file the paperwork to leave the Mountain West, and while they would have to pay 5 million to back out of the Big East, they would be allowed back to the Mountain West.  There are supposedly talks going on now about that.

San Diego State is fucked.  Tough titties.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

MadBurgerMaker

Forget the playoffs and next round of possible realignment.  This is HUGE news for college football:

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2012-articles/may/breaking-pam-ward-out-of-espns-college-football-coverage.html

QuoteI can report ESPN has removed Pam Ward from its college football coverage.

— Richard Deitsch (@richarddeitsch) May 21, 2012

Valmy

Wow.

The noon Big 10 games will never be the same.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on May 21, 2012, 11:38:23 AM
Wow.

The noon Big 10 games will never be the same.
... thank Hod.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

I support lesbians in the workplace.

grumbler

An interesting little debate has arison over on MGoBlog about whether it is great or it sucks that Michigan's schedule changes difficulty so greatly depending on whether it is an even or an odd year.  In even years, Michigan plays ND, Nebraska, and Ohio away - when Wisconsin rolls onto the schedule in 2014, it will also be away in even years.  In odd years, obviously, M gets them all at home. 

The question is whether it is better to have, say, 10-2 regular seasons alternate with 8-4 seasons, or whether to have the schedule balanced and go 9-3 every year (with a +/- two game variability, so you get the occasional national championship shot in odd years but probably don't get as many of them in the balanced schedule, because the difference between 1 loss and 2 is everything).

I'm thinking the imbalanced setup serves the school and conference best.  Any thoughts?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

I dunno, g...If it were a lesser known program, a more balanced schedule with a consistent W/L record would help with the recruiting;  but it's not like Michigan would be starving for recruits looking for a consistent program, though.

Although, I still think a more balanced schedule, particularly considering the conference and Michigan's overall SOS, would still put it in a better position for BCS shots every year than an imbalanced schedule format.  Noamsayin'?

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 22, 2012, 01:29:09 PM
I dunno, g...If it were a lesser known program, a more balanced schedule with a consistent W/L record would help with the recruiting;  but it's not like Michigan would be starving for recruits looking for a consistent program, though.

Although, I still think a more balanced schedule, particularly considering the conference and Michigan's overall SOS, would still put it in a better position for BCS shots every year than an imbalanced schedule format.  Noamsayin'?

Well, that's the question:  do you want BCS bowls every year but few/no MNCs, or do you want championship game appearances more often, but also more non-BCS bowls?

Urban Meyer is one of the hottest caches out there, based on his Florida performance.  That was a 9-3, 13-1, 9-4, 13-1, 13-1, 8-5 run.  Half the time his teams were in the MNC chase, half were nowhere near that.  Florida fans seemed delighted.  Pete Carrol had records from 2005-2008 of 12-1, 11-2, 11-2, 12-1 and won no MNCs in that period (though he had, of course, won one in each of the years leading up to 2005, in which he went 12-1 and 13-0).  He was in the chase the whole time, but the difference between one and two losses is massive.

I don't have strong feelings on the issue, and I think the question is an interesting one.

Bayraktar!