News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football '11-'12

Started by katmai, March 08, 2011, 11:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on May 10, 2012, 11:04:13 AM
The rumor involving FSU tends to also include Clemson.  Mildly interesting that they left that out, but did mention the one involving Louisville.

Clemson?  :wacko:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Valmy on May 10, 2012, 11:06:03 AM
Clemson?  :wacko:

Yeah, up until that article there, all the shit I'd seen about Florida State included Clemson as a kind of package deal.  Miami also gets brought up occasionally, but I don't know how much there is to that one.   

Valmy

Clemson is what A&M would be without the Corps.  I would think they already saw enough of West Virginia to not want to have to play them every year.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Valmy on May 10, 2012, 11:10:07 AM
Clemson is what A&M would be without the Corps.

True, but you gotta admit that's quite an improvement. :P 

MadBurgerMaker

Here's a thing from yesterday by that dork Chip Brown talking about FSU specifically though:

http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1363940

Valmy

Not really much of a story by Chip IMO.  He makes a case why Florida State may want to bolt but beyond pointing out they have not said they are not going he doesn't really report anything.

MadBurgerMaker

Nah, just some info.  Wetzel said about an hour ago that FSU officials have also talked about the potential of their own network, but he didn't say anything beyond that (it's on twitter, so not much room for a big discussion).

Valmy

Florida State BoT President calls the ACC the suckiest conference to ever suck a suck and says Board of Trustees unanimous in hearing what the Big 12 offers:

QuoteUntil now, everyone officially associated with Florida State has publicly supported the recently announced television deal between the Atlantic Coast Conference and ESPN/ABC.

That is no longer the case.

In an exclusive interview with Warchant.com, Florida State Board of Trustees Chairman Andy Haggard blasted the agreement that will net each ACC school approximately $17 million per year through 2026-27.

While the new deal will result in an increase of nearly $4 million per school from the old contract, some of the terms have resulted in harsh criticism from Florida State fans and alumni. It has also drawn the ire of FSU's Board of Trustees' Chair.

"It's mind-boggling and shocking," said Haggard. "How can the ACC give up third tier rights for football but keep them for basketball?"

Haggard is referring to the fact that the ACC surrendered all third tier television rights for football to ESPN/ABC but kept them for men's basketball. That arrangement will likely result in substantial revenue for schools with a strong basketball following like North Carolina and Duke.On the other hand, it will do very little for schools with a more traditional football following like FSU, Clemson, Virginia Tech and Miami.

"It continues the perception that the ACC favors the North Carolina schools," noted Haggard.

Haggard added that he has received numerous emails from FSU fans and alumni since the deal was announced and estimates that about 95 percent are unhappy with the ACC's deal and how it will impact Florida State.

This overwhelming criticism over the ACC's handling of the new TV deal and FSU's recently announced financial shortcomings (projected $2.4 million deficit for 2012-13) have only added fuel to rumors of a potential move to the Big 12.

Haggard confirmed that as far as he knows there has been no contact between FSU and the Big 12 regarding possible expansion. However, he makes it very clear that he and the Board of Trustees would be more than open to exploring the possibility if it would mean additional revenue to the school.

"How do you not look into that option," asked Haggard. "On behalf of the Board of Trustees I can say that unanimously we would be in favor of seeing what the Big 12 might have to offer. We have to do what is in Florida State's best interest."

It has been reported that the new Big 12 television deal with ESPN/ABC will be result in each school receiving approximately $20 million per year. Were FSU and fellow ACC member Clemson to join the Big 12 that figure would go even higher. The SEC's new TV deal with Texas A&M and Missouri joining the conference is expected to be worth well over $20 million annually per school.

"With the SEC making the kind of money it does it's time to act," said Haggard. "You can't sit back and be content in the ACC. This is a different time financially. This isn't 10-15 years ago when money was rolling in."

Of the few who still support FSU staying in the ACC, most cite the number of well-regarded academic institutions within the conference. However, Haggard scoffed at the idea that the ACC somehow helps FSU's academic reputation.

"No FSU graduate puts on his resume or interviews for a job saying they are in the same conference as Duke and Virginia," he said. "Conference affiliation really has no impact on academics."

Haggard concluded that he will be speaking with FSU president Eric Barron and Athletic Director Randy Spetman about the best way to proceed in exploring options outside of the ACC.

teh link: http://floridastate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1364755

katmai

Quote from: Valmy on May 12, 2012, 06:39:19 PM

Of the few who still support FSU staying in the ACC, most cite the number of well-regarded academic institutions within the conference. However, Haggard scoffed at the idea that the ACC somehow helps FSU's academic reputation.

"No FSU graduate puts on his resume or interviews for a job saying they are in the same conference as Duke and Virginia," he said. "Conference affiliation really has no impact on academics."

Well of course not, they still went to a shitty State school. :lol:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on May 12, 2012, 06:39:19 PM
Florida State BoT President calls the ACC the suckiest conference to ever suck a suck and says Board of Trustees unanimous in hearing what the Big 12 offers:

Pretty funny, considering they were invited specifically to have an opportunity to win it every year.  Talk about ingratitude.

MadBurgerMaker

Damn that's a helluva statement.

PDH

The word running around now is that the Big East explodes (again) and the Big 12 might actually get back to 12...in other words, situation normal.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

MadBurgerMaker

The Big 12 also owns the rights to the Big 14 name.  Heh.

jimmy olsen

Florida st. would make much more sense in the SEC. This is stupid.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 12, 2012, 11:32:39 PM
Florida st. would make much more sense in the SEC. This is stupid.

Florida State cannot join the SEC.  The reasons for this should be obvious.