News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football '11-'12

Started by katmai, March 08, 2011, 11:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 24, 2011, 05:57:22 PM
My impression had always been that the AD wanted Carr to retire but I don't know that it was a "retire or I'll make you retire" situation. I sort of thought it was more along the lines of Carr saw the writing on the wall and felt he needed to retire when he did so he could do it on his terms and not have to go out being essentially terminated a season or two later.
Actually, Carr had wanted to retire a year before, and the AD asked him to stay on for another year.  When he did retire as coach, he was given a new position as "associate Athletic Director" at almost $400k per year, where he oversaw fundraising and the athletic department's support for charities.  That doesn't sound like a hostile retirement to me.

When Bill Martin left, Carr also retired from his Associate AD position.  That might not have been entirely his own choice.  That may be where the "forced to retire" stuff is coming from.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

OttoVonBismarck

If that's true it makes Carr's behavior even more craven. While you can't condone it, if you're forced into retirement it is only human nature to sort of want the guy they picked to replace you to fall flat on his face. A bigger man will overcome such a thing, but it's understandable to have that sort of ill-wish for a successor.

But if Carr's retirement really was entirely voluntary, then it just makes him seem like an ass to have worked against the new coach.

grumbler

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 25, 2011, 10:33:26 AM
If that's true it makes Carr's behavior even more craven. While you can't condone it, if you're forced into retirement it is only human nature to sort of want the guy they picked to replace you to fall flat on his face. A bigger man will overcome such a thing, but it's understandable to have that sort of ill-wish for a successor.

But if Carr's retirement really was entirely voluntary, then it just makes him seem like an ass to have worked against the new coach.

Particularly when you are the one most responsible for Rodriguez getting the offer.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

MadBurgerMaker

So Oregon is doing a thing with their uniforms for the Rose Bowl:

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/24156338/34060346

Closeup of the helmet from a different site:

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/201112/darth-vader-playing-rose-bowl

:yuk:  Nike's webpage is loading really slowly for me for some reason, but they have a more stuff about them + more photos here:

http://www.nikeinc.com/news/oregon-ducks-will-wear-most-innovative-football-uniform-to-date-for-rose-bowl#/inline/6257 

Ah there it goes.  Finally loaded.  Here's a closeup of the shiny shoulder part:

Admiral Yi

Will they all be sporting the Darth Vader visors?

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 27, 2011, 03:32:13 PM

Unfortunately, no.

Texas has changed their uniforms for the bowl game too.  NEW GLOVES AND SOCKS :bleeding: :bleeding: :bleeding:

Heh.

Ed Anger

Ducks unis need a death head.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 27, 2011, 09:09:15 PM
Ducks unis need a death head.

:lol:  No shit.  They going to Pasadena, or the fucking Balkans?

Just makes me root for the Wisconsin Whiteys even more.  I hope those cheeseheads run Monty on 8 minute grinders on those fucks.

Berkut

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 27, 2011, 03:32:13 PM

Certainly not - that would be against NCAA rules. All visors must be clear.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

Big Ten and Pac 12 announce a new scheduling collaboration to increase inter-conference scheduling in all sports http://www.bigten.org/genrel/122811aae.html

This means one inter-conference football game per team per year, starting no later than 2017.  Other sports to pick this up sooner, as scheduling allows, but certainly not within the first year. 

Great, great news.  I loved those inter-conference match-ups in football, even though the home teams had huge advantages.  I have been calling for their return ever since they stopped doing them seven or eight years ago.

Bayraktar!

OttoVonBismarck

Great news as a fan, not sure it's in the best interests of the B1G/Pac-12, though. At least in terms of national title races go...it will mean it will be more likely for good B1G/Pac-12 teams to go undefeated. And as everyone knows in the new age of SEC Football, the only way a non-SEC team even has a hope to go to the national championship is if they are undefeated and/or every team in the SEC has multiple losses. (I'm obviously exaggerating, but no one can deny the SEC teams are given favorable treatment in terms of pollsters forgiving them the occasional loss versus how pollsters respond when teams from other conferences drop a game.)

PDH

They are just copying the MWC-CUSA (rolleyes)
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

grumbler

Quote from: PDH on December 28, 2011, 08:29:45 PM
I don't even know what a "MWC-CUSA" is.   Is that the way dyslexics spell the synonym for "pardon me?"  :P

Bayraktar!

PDH

Quote from: grumbler on December 28, 2011, 09:39:14 PM
I don't even know what a "MWC-CUSA" is.   Is that the way dyslexics spell the synonym for "pardon me?"  :P

Fuck you and your conferences that mean something.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

jimmy olsen

Quote from: PDH on December 28, 2011, 10:56:25 PM
Quote from: grumbler on December 28, 2011, 09:39:14 PM

Fuck you and your conferences that mean something.
MWC-CUSA champ should be able to get into a big bowl.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point