News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football '11-'12

Started by katmai, March 08, 2011, 11:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rasputin

if you believe the rumor, the explanation is he retired fearing the lid was going to blow in big scandal; he had second thoughts and got talked out of retirement by his assistants whose jobs would all otherwise be in jeopardy (not to mention he still had a few million reasons to stay); then the lid blew and to avoid scandal he re-retired

again it's all rumor

i hope it to be true because it makes myers more likeable
Who is John Galt?

dps

Quote from: Rasputin on November 28, 2011, 05:54:46 PM
if you believe the rumor, the explanation is he retired fearing the lid was going to blow in big scandal; he had second thoughts and got talked out of retirement by his assistants whose jobs would all otherwise be in jeopardy (not to mention he still had a few million reasons to stay); then the lid blew and to avoid scandal he re-retired

again it's all rumor

i hope it to be true because it makes myers more likeable

Interesting.

If it's accurate, then he'll probably find him a co-ed or 2 in Columbus, as well.  Could be interesting.

Eddie Teach

Why would that be such a big scandal? It's really none of the public's business anyway.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Rasputin

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 28, 2011, 05:57:49 PM
Why would that be such a big scandal? It's really none of the public's business anyway.  :hmm:

this is the bible belt baby; remember gainvesville is in south georgia

a few years back, one of the alabama head coaches lost his job for supposedly screwing a secretary
Who is John Galt?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Rasputin on November 28, 2011, 05:24:51 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 28, 2011, 03:22:20 PM
Quote from: Rasputin on November 28, 2011, 02:54:56 PM
Quote from: dps on November 28, 2011, 02:34:38 PM
My main concern with Meyer is that you can't be sure that he's not burned out.  Maybe the year off from coaching recharged his batteries, maybe not.

my reliable gainesville contacts credibly suggest his sudden departure from gainesville had little to do with burnout...

that being said, if my sources are correct, the fact that ohio is more than a short car trip from gainesville would fix his coaching problem

Don't leave us hanging man.

the rumors i heard were that mrs myers had a reason for him to stop coaching and relocate

the rumors i heard would also explain the heart palpitations

of course it's mere rumor

I am now an Ohio State fan.

stjaba

Quote from: Rasputin on November 28, 2011, 06:01:12 PM

a few years back, one of the alabama head coaches lost his job for supposedly screwing a secretary

Referring to Terry Bowden at Auburn? I think he was screwing someone related to the AD. And Alabama had to fire a head coach who never coached a game because he went to a strip club.

stjaba

Quote from: Valmy on November 28, 2011, 04:19:06 PM
Quote from: stjaba on November 28, 2011, 04:16:03 PM
The other thing about Urban Meyer's UF years that a lot of people forget is how important the defense was, particularly in 2006. In 2006, Tebow played very sparingly, and it was the defense that carried the team to the championship. In 2008, it was all Tebow and Percy Harvin.

That is not entirely fair.  I thought Leak really played at a high level that year.

He was a game manager for the most part. In 2006, the Gators didn't blow anyone out(besides non SEC opponents), certainly not like LSU has done this year to other teams. Most of the games they won were by 7-10 points, even against crappy teams.

The major exceptions were the non-BCS teams and Ohio State.

Rasputin

Quote from: stjaba on November 28, 2011, 06:52:21 PM

Referring to Terry Bowden at Auburn? I think he was screwing someone related to the AD. And Alabama had to fire a head coach who never coached a game because he went to a strip club.

yeah i was thinkiing of both incidents which morphed into one in my mind over time
Who is John Galt?

dps

Quote from: Rasputin on November 28, 2011, 06:59:32 PM
Quote from: stjaba on November 28, 2011, 06:52:21 PM

yeah i was thinkiing of both incidents which morphed into one in my mind over time

Bowden quit because his last team sucked.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 28, 2011, 06:29:25 PM
Just wait until he comes out in that sweatervest.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on November 28, 2011, 09:48:15 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 28, 2011, 06:29:25 PM
Just wait until he comes out in that sweatervest.

Not Urban.  He's all about comfort.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

grumbler

Quote from: Rasputin on November 28, 2011, 02:58:10 PM
correct; you'll have two seasons of glory before the rest of the big ten figures out how to defense it....if you stumble across a tim tebow type along the way, you'll have three seasons of glory 

The Big Ten teams play enough spread offenses that they know how to defend it.  I don't think Meyer's success will depend on any type of surprise; success will depend on his ability to teach execution and to attract a great defensive mind to run the other side of the team.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Rasputin

Quote from: grumbler on November 29, 2011, 07:36:13 AM
Quote from: Rasputin on November 28, 2011, 02:58:10 PM
correct; you'll have two seasons of glory before the rest of the big ten figures out how to defense it....if you stumble across a tim tebow type along the way, you'll have three seasons of glory 

The Big Ten teams play enough spread offenses that they know how to defend it.  I don't think Meyer's success will depend on any type of surprise; success will depend on his ability to teach execution and to attract a great defensive mind to run the other side of the team.
he runs a very unique "spread" that in many respects is a gussied up wing t offense. If the big ten already lnows how to defense the wing t then he will have little success at ohio.  Im skeptical that they really see that much of it though but i dont know. Execution is not enough with the wing t. There is a reason major teams stopped using it in the thirties. Variations of it have come back into vogue under different names (eg the wildcat) but myers brand of it depends in large part on being the only team his opponents face that use it in large doses. If you look at his offenses at florida you will see a steady decline in production over his last three years as fsu and the sec started figuring out how to defense it.
Who is John Galt?