News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football '11-'12

Started by katmai, March 08, 2011, 11:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rasputin

Quote from: dps on November 28, 2011, 02:34:38 PM
My main concern with Meyer is that you can't be sure that he's not burned out.  Maybe the year off from coaching recharged his batteries, maybe not.

my reliable gainesville contacts credibly suggest his sudden departure from gainesville had little to do with burnout...

that being said, if my sources are correct, the fact that ohio is more than a short car trip from gainesville would fix his coaching problem
Who is John Galt?

Rasputin

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 27, 2011, 01:17:51 AM
Maryland has reached new lows.

i'll let you pretend it's 1953 , if you'll let me pretend it's 1993 :)
Who is John Galt?

Rasputin

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on November 28, 2011, 01:34:08 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 28, 2011, 01:23:51 PM
Did he run the style of ball he did at Florida because that's what he had to work with, or because that's his style?

Pretty sure he ran the same spread at Utah and probably at Bowling Green as well.

correct; you'll have two seasons of glory before the rest of the big ten figures out how to defense it....if you stumble across a tim tebow type along the way, you'll have three seasons of glory
Who is John Galt?

MadImmortalMan

Ugh. Not interested in that at all.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Barrister

Quote from: Rasputin on November 28, 2011, 02:54:56 PM
My main concern with Meyer is that you can't be sure that he's not burned out.  Maybe the year off from coaching recharged his batteries, maybe not.

my reliable gainesville contacts credibly suggest his sudden departure from gainesville had little to do with burnout...

that being said, if my sources are correct, the fact that ohio is more than a short car trip from gainesville would fix his coaching problem

Don't leave us hanging man.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Rasputin on November 28, 2011, 02:58:10 PM
Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on November 28, 2011, 01:34:08 PM
Did he run the style of ball he did at Florida because that's what he had to work with, or because that's his style?

Pretty sure he ran the same spread at Utah and probably at Bowling Green as well.

correct; you'll have two seasons of glory before the rest of the big ten figures out how to defense it....if you stumble across a tim tebow type along the way, you'll have three seasons of glory
Didn't he coach in Florida for six years?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 28, 2011, 03:25:15 PM
Didn't he coach in Florida for six years?

Yes.  Florida won the SEC East three times (13-1 each time, 2 NC, 1 BCS Ws), 9-3, 9-4, 8-5 the other three years.

Valmy

I was about to say: yes but only three were years of glory.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

stjaba

So, do we really want Urban Meyer? I know he's an Ohio boy and all (why are so many coaches from Ohio, anyway?). Did he run the style of ball he did at Florida because that's what he had to work with, or because that's his style? He didn't have much of a recruiting network down there at the beginning--how does that plug in to the equation. OSU does seem to be using Florida as a pipeline recruiting state over the past decade. Just because the guy lives in Upper Arlington doesn't mean he's going to be a good fit. Don't want to make the RichRod mistake.

For better or for worse, he's very much wedded to the spread offense, almost to a fault. In 2005, he tried to turn Chris Leak into a spread QB, which was not too effective. In 2010, he tried to run a spread offense with John Brantley, which didn't work either. Without Tebow in the spread offense, UF's offense under Urban Meyer was never that amazing.

The other thing about Urban Meyer's UF years that a lot of people forget is how important the defense was, particularly in 2006. In 2006, Tebow played very sparingly, and it was the defense that carried the team to the championship. In 2008, it was all Tebow and Percy Harvin.

Valmy

Quote from: stjaba on November 28, 2011, 04:16:03 PM
The other thing about Urban Meyer's UF years that a lot of people forget is how important the defense was, particularly in 2006. In 2006, Tebow played very sparingly, and it was the defense that carried the team to the championship. In 2008, it was all Tebow and Percy Harvin.

That is not entirely fair.  I thought Leak really played at a high level that year.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Rasputin

Quote from: stjaba on November 28, 2011, 04:16:03 PM
So, do we really want Urban Meyer? I know he's an Ohio boy and all (why are so many coaches from Ohio, anyway?). Did he run the style of ball he did at Florida because that's what he had to work with, or because that's his style? He didn't have much of a recruiting network down there at the beginning--how does that plug in to the equation. OSU does seem to be using Florida as a pipeline recruiting state over the past decade. Just because the guy lives in Upper Arlington doesn't mean he's going to be a good fit. Don't want to make the RichRod mistake.

For better or for worse, he's very much wedded to the spread offense, almost to a fault. In 2005, he tried to turn Chris Leak into a spread QB, which was not too effective. In 2010, he tried to run a spread offense with John Brantley, which didn't work either. Without Tebow in the spread offense, UF's offense under Urban Meyer was never that amazing.

correct and he never game planned for what the defenses were actually doing or where they were weak; his offense was his offense and once you figured out how to defend it, he wasn't going to throw in any wrinkles to surprise you. On the whole, i believe that he was a so so coach who inherited a program at just the right time....in my opinion spurrier was the far better coach at florida
Who is John Galt?

Rasputin

Quote from: Barrister on November 28, 2011, 03:22:20 PM
Quote from: Rasputin on November 28, 2011, 02:54:56 PM

Don't leave us hanging man.

the rumors i heard were that mrs myers had a reason for him to stop coaching and relocate

the rumors i heard would also explain the heart palpitations

of course it's mere rumor
Who is John Galt?

Eddie Teach

If Mrs. Meyer is straying, there are plenty of dudes in Ohio as well.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Rasputin

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 28, 2011, 05:32:27 PM

other way around...rumor was coed graduate student.
Who is John Galt?

dps

Quote from: Rasputin on November 28, 2011, 05:35:20 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 28, 2011, 05:32:27 PM

other way around...rumor was coed graduate student.

Then why did he retire, then unretire again before his last season?