News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football '11-'12

Started by katmai, March 08, 2011, 11:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

In the particular case of LSU-Alabama, there's also the fact that their meeting this year was a crappy game that came down to missed field goals.  Who wants to see a repeat of that?   Granted, if they did play again, I'd expect a better game, but still.

OTOH, LSU-Oregon was a blowout, so I'd be even less interested in a rematch of that one (though now that Oregon has a 2nd loss, we don't have to worry about that happening).

MadImmortalMan

I guess I'll have to put my Buckeye flag up out front for the first time this year...
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

dps

Saw this one-line on the CFN website:  "Because of the streak vs Michigan, OSU fans learned to count past five".

Valmy

Hey MBM and FM here is a little video the Sooner fans did to make fun of A&M: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=41izxcERgtc
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

sbr

In any other year I would be with those not wanting a rematch of LSU & Alabama.  There are all kinds of reasons that Alabama should not get another chance:  they didn't win their conference, they already had their chance, it was a crappy game previously, rematches are stupid.  The difference this year is that there is absolutely no question who the best two teams in the country are.  It has been obvious from September and nothing has really changed LSU and Alabama are at a different level than anyone else this year.  There is no one who seriously knows college football that doesn't think LSU is absolutely clear-cut #1 team in the country, especially after dismantling Arkansas today.  If not for a shitty kicker and one of the best individual plays I have seen by that LSU DB (Eric Reid) Alabama should have beaten them.

I can maybe understand not wanting to see a rematch, but is there anyone who thinks a team other than LSU or Alabama is oneof the top 2 in the country?

• Oregon clearly isn't, which I knew before the season started.
  • Stanford got punked by the Ducks' defense, what would an SEC defense do to them?
  • Oklahoma is probably the third most talented team out there but they clearly are missing something.
  • Boise?  This is the only other team I could consider, not because they are top 2, but if no one else deserves it why not give them their shot?
  • Arkansas already lost to both teams
  • Oklahoma State wouldn't give either of them a close game
  • Houston is the only other undefeated team left

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

grumbler

A rematch is clearly not called for.  LSU and Alabama already played to decide which was the better team.  That issue was settled on the field.  Time to move on.

It may well prove that LSU and Alabama are the two best teams in the country.  There are bowl games to help determine that.  What we do know is that, in the game scheduled to determine which was the better team, LSU was the better team.  There is no need for another game to decide what has been decided.

Okie State clearly should go, if they beat Oklahoma and win the conference championship. If they don't, then whoever wins out between Stanford and VA Tech should play (if bnneither do, then Houston).

I recall the 2006 season, when UM lost to OSU by three at OSU, and people were calling for a rematch in the BCS title game.  I opposed that idea then, and was (unfortunately) vindicated when both teams lost their bowl games.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

MadBurgerMaker

jimmy olsen

:lol: What an ending to the backyard brawl!
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 25, 2011, 10:27:37 PM
:lol: What an ending to the backyard brawl!

:(  Even the last game is tainted.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on November 23, 2011, 03:54:34 PM
the point remains Michigan is not a top 5 team and in answer to the original question about how the teams I mentioned in my top 5 have done w-l % since 1980 is "all of them have done better than Michigan except LSU."

Well, congratulations!  You have proved a point no one contested.  I bet your mom is proud of you. though no one else is.

Bayraktar!

OttoVonBismarck

I don't remember this being a place where you can only say things that other people are contesting. You're the one who wondered what the w-% of the teams in my "personal top 5" was, and I answered your question. I guess in grumbler land when someone (yourself, in this case) asks a question you're supposed to not answer it. I guess maybe you've hit your head too many times in life and don't understand how the question-->answer process works in human conversation :lmfao:.

Was your question not genuine? If you're in the habit of asking questions you don't want answered I'll keep that in mind.  :huh:

MadBurgerMaker

Ah.  A safety for the lead.  Good times.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: ulmont on September 17, 2011, 09:43:36 PM
So the Dawgs went 59-0 against "Coastal Carolina," and Tech went 66-24 against Kansas.  I sense Thanksgiving pain in your future.

Wasn't so bad.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

ulmont