And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football '11-'12

Started by katmai, March 08, 2011, 11:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: derspiess on September 20, 2011, 11:34:30 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 18, 2011, 03:49:56 PM
Rumors on the interwebs say that West Virginia has sent an application to the SEC.  :ph34r:

It's sounding like WVU was rejected by both the ACC and SEC.  Ouch.

Not so much as rejected as put on hold by the SEC. They want Missouri as 14, if they need a 15 or 16th team I'm sure WVU would get an invite.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 20, 2011, 06:10:05 PM
That's why they renamed it the B1G

I'm distracted at the moment, so....

derspiess

Had some drunk dumbass Oklahoma fan start shit with me, my brother & 3 other guys Saturday night.  He overheard us talking about the Big East in the conference shakeup & decided to tell us how shitty the Big East was.  None of us disagreed, but my brother decided to point out that Oklahoma got the beat shit out of it by WVU in 2008 in the Fiesta Bowl.  That set him over the edge & he told us "you better watch your asses in the parking lot" even though the Yard House didn't have a parking lot.

Seems like every encounter I have with a Sooners fan is more or less like that.  It was a joy when all their fans traveled up for the Cincinnati game last year.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Wow, drunken sports fans at a sporting event.  Shockink.

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 17, 2011, 12:11:05 AM
Quote from: Valmy on September 16, 2011, 11:52:19 PM
Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on September 16, 2011, 11:42:09 PM
Quote from: sbr on September 16, 2011, 11:40:49 PM
Meh.

It's set up to be like a couple hours after Oklahoma's meeting.

So after OU chickens out, Texas will announce they will be staying right where they are.  Oh how exciting it shall be.
You got some inside information? Everything I read has the OU board of regents unanimous on leaving for the PAC-12 whether Texas follows them or not.

Bwahahaha

QuoteWALNUT CREEK, Calif.– In light of the widespread speculation about potential scenarios for Conference re-alignment, the Pac-12 Presidents and Chancellors have affirmed their decision to remain a 12-team conference. Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott said, "after careful review we have determined that it is in the best interests of our member institutions, student-athletes and fans to remain a 12-team conference. While we have great respect for all of the institutions that have contacted us, and certain expansion proposals were financially attractive, we have a strong conference structure and culture of equality that we are committed to preserve. With new landmark TV agreements and plans to launch our innovative television networks, we are going to focus solely on these great assets, our strong heritage and the bright future in front of us.""

VICTORY!

Tim tainted OU.  Do you take requests Tim?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on September 20, 2011, 10:53:29 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 17, 2011, 12:11:05 AM
Quote from: Valmy on September 16, 2011, 11:52:19 PM
Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on September 16, 2011, 11:42:09 PM
Quote from: sbr on September 16, 2011, 11:40:49 PM
Meh.

It's set up to be like a couple hours after Oklahoma's meeting.

So after OU chickens out, Texas will announce they will be staying right where they are.  Oh how exciting it shall be.
You got some inside information? Everything I read has the OU board of regents unanimous on leaving for the PAC-12 whether Texas follows them or not.

Bwahahaha

QuoteWALNUT CREEK, Calif.– In light of the widespread speculation about potential scenarios for Conference re-alignment, the Pac-12 Presidents and Chancellors have affirmed their decision to remain a 12-team conference. Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott said, "after careful review we have determined that it is in the best interests of our member institutions, student-athletes and fans to remain a 12-team conference. While we have great respect for all of the institutions that have contacted us, and certain expansion proposals were financially attractive, we have a strong conference structure and culture of equality that we are committed to preserve. With new landmark TV agreements and plans to launch our innovative television networks, we are going to focus solely on these great assets, our strong heritage and the bright future in front of us.""

VICTORY!

Tim tainted OU.  Do you take requests Tim?
That had nothing about OU chickening out or becoming unwilling to leave without Texas.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 20, 2011, 10:57:41 PM
That had nothing about OU chickening out or becoming unwilling to leave without Texas.

Details!  VICTORY IS MINE!

You lose.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

dps

Quote from: Rasputin on September 20, 2011, 05:28:37 PM

it's true...if the conference doesnt have a top x finisher every so many years it can lose bcs status

I dont remember  what x is

i remember this from my gator bowl committee class

It's something like if the average final ranking of a conference's champion is worse than 16th(?) over a 5-year period, the conference loses its BCS status.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on September 20, 2011, 11:03:39 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 20, 2011, 10:57:41 PM

Details!  VICTORY IS MINE!

You lose.
What? Don't be ridiculous.

The PAC 12 probably decided to not expand because Texas wouldn't compromise enough on the Longhorn network.

EDIT: I'm right

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegesports/
QuoteBeen on the phone for last 30 minutes. Here's why league did not expand, in a nutshell:

It determined that a 14-school conference was awkward and it would not bow to Texas' revenue demands.

According to a source, Larry Scott walked away from weekend meeting with Texas knowing the Longhorn Network and the Pac-12 revenue model could not work together.

It was zero or four and the four was too problematic — no interest in meeting UT's revenue demands — so it's at zero, which is where the CEOs wanted to be all along.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

:bleeding: Seriously that is how that story is going to be spun?  Hilarious.  Well actually not so much hilarious as :frusty:

In any case the Big 12 lives on.  Everybody, except A&M, is going to kiss and make up next week.

Fake Dan Beebe rejoices.

Berkut

Pretty simple really. The Pac-12 schools were not all that keen on the idea of expansion anyways, and UCLA and USC gave up their unequal revenue sharing arrangements last year when the conference added Utah and Colorado.

The Pac-12 was not that keen on the idea of expansion period, and if Texas was not willing to an equal deal, there is no way USC and UCLA (at the very least) would go along since they just gave up their "first among equals" deal in the name of equality. Without the Texas schools, the financial incentive is simply not there to justify the risk of going to 14.

Texas once again sinks the Pac-16 super conference because they aren't interested in playing on the same field as everyone else in their conference.

I am actually kind of relieved. I don't think the Pac-16 is going to feel like the Pac-10 at all. It is probably going to happen eventually anyway though...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Of course, there is the very real possibility that this is just more posturing, and the dealing is still ongoing...who knows.

I think that Scott is in the drivers position though and knows it. If this is the end of the potential move to get those 4 teams into the Pac-16, I wonder how OU is feeling if in fact Texas has once against screwed the deal up?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Berkut on September 21, 2011, 07:17:52 AM
Of course, there is the very real possibility that this is just more posturing, and the dealing is still ongoing...who knows.

I think that Scott is in the drivers position though and knows it. If this is the end of the potential move to get those 4 teams into the Pac-16, I wonder how OU is feeling if in fact Texas has once against screwed the deal up?
I'm sure Scott hopes Texas caves in and comes crawling back offering equal scares.

Probably won't happen this year though, unless Missouri defects to the SEC further crippling the Big 12.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Rasputin

Quote from: dps on September 20, 2011, 11:04:26 PM

it's true...if the conference doesnt have a top x finisher every so many years it can lose bcs status

It's something like if the average final ranking of a conference's champion is worse than 16th(?) over a 5-year period, the conference loses its BCS status.

i seem to recall that it was more like the conference must have a top x finisher at least y times in the last z years

I learned it a couple of years ago and I seem to recall that the big east was the only bcs conference in danger
Who is John Galt?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Rasputin on September 21, 2011, 08:15:04 AM
Quote from: dps on September 20, 2011, 11:04:26 PM

i seem to recall that it was more like the conference must have a top x finisher at least y times in the last z years

I learned it a couple of years ago and I seem to recall that the big east was the only bcs conference in danger
Can a non BCS conference earn an autobid by having a top x finisher at least y times in the last z years?

1 Karma Chameleon point