News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football '11-'12

Started by katmai, March 08, 2011, 11:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Last year, they went 3-9. Though I suppose Ulmont feels this win is significant because one of those 3 wins was against Georgia Tech.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Rumors on the interwebs say that West Virginia has sent an application to the SEC.  :ph34r:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Berkut

Apparently the rumors about Texas to B10 may have caused Larry Scott to kind of blink...there may be a deal in the works to bring OH, OSU, UT, TT to the Pac-12 that would allow the Longhorns to keep their network in some fashion or another...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on September 18, 2011, 06:12:48 PM
Apparently the rumors about Texas to B10 may have caused Larry Scott to kind of blink...there may be a deal in the works to bring OH, OSU, UT, TT to the Pac-12 that would allow the Longhorns to keep their network in some fashion or another...

That is what I am hearing also.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PDH

Now Wyoming will never make it to the Big 12 :(
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Berkut

Why not, should have plenty of space for them.

0 rows returned

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

I did not know David Gavitt died late Friday, right before the ACC announcement of Pitt and 'Cuse.  Talk about pissing on a grave.

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on September 18, 2011, 09:24:44 PM
Why not, should have plenty of space for them.

Yuk yuk yuk

Anyway I missed the second half of Zona-Stanford because stuff came up at home.  I see Arizona could not keep pulling rabbits out of its hat on defense.  I think they can still pull of Bowl eligibility but Nick Foles probably deserved more from his senior season.  Is Stoops in trouble?  That defense had some decent schemes but why can he not recruit better talent?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Berkut

He just has not had much success recruiting. I've been arguing this forever - he gets middle to bottom of the Pac-10 recruiting classes, and in the long run that is going to get him middle to bottom of the Pac-10 results. Sure, we will have our standout players who turn out to be a lot better than expected, but college football is all about college recruiting, and Arizona has never managed to pull in our "share" of BCS talent.

It's funny how the same people will argue up and down that recruiting class rankings are bullshit and don't mean anything (not here, but on the Arizona forums) and then turn around and crow about the latest top-5 basketball class.

Stoops took Arizona out of the doghouse that Machovic left the program in, but I don't see him getting us much further. Of coruse, facility wise, Arizona has never been able to compete with USC/Oregon/UCLA/Washington either. We are improving facilities, but I suspect our improvements are bringing us from the 80s into the 90s or so.

0 rows returned

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Berkut on September 19, 2011, 07:52:08 AM
He just has not had much success recruiting. I've been arguing this forever - he gets middle to bottom of the Pac-10 recruiting classes, and in the long run that is going to get him middle to bottom of the Pac-10 results. Sure, we will have our standout players who turn out to be a lot better than expected, but college football is all about college recruiting, and Arizona has never managed to pull in our "share" of BCS talent.

It's funny how the same people will argue up and down that recruiting class rankings are bullshit and don't mean anything (not here, but on the Arizona forums) and then turn around and crow about the latest top-5 basketball class.

Stoops took Arizona out of the doghouse that Machovic left the program in, but I don't see him getting us much further. Of coruse, facility wise, Arizona has never been able to compete with USC/Oregon/UCLA/Washington either. We are improving facilities, but I suspect our improvements are bringing us from the 80s into the 90s or so.

You're going to be raking in so much Pac-16 TV money that you should be able to modernize it all the way. 

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

So, here's what is probably going to happen from what we know so far... (Feel free to mock me if this turns out wrong)

OU, OSU, UT, and TT to the Pac-12

TA&M and WVU to the SEC

Syracues, Pitt and UCONN to the ACC

=================================================
Pure Speculation

Misouri and Rutgers seem to be in good positions, each would rather be in the Big 10, but have fall back options with the SEC and the ACC respectively. Notre Dame holds the key to B1G expansion. If they join the Big 10, then it will definitely increase to 14 teams, and maybe 16. But I'm not sure if there's a 16th team that would be acceptable them ND, Rutgers, Missouri and ...Kansas maybe?

If Rutgers goes to the Big 10 who does the ACC take for their 16th team? SEC will have 1st pick of the rest of the Big East and Big 12 carcasses. Will the SEC stand by the gentelman's agreement or take the best of what's left? Cincinnati and Louisville would seem to be the most attractive markets left. Then USF, followed by TCU and Baylor, who's only value would seem to be further SEC penetration of Texas recruiting.

Kansas St., ISU, Bosie st. and BYU are definitely screwed.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

The Big 12 leftovers, Iowa State and company, will probably join TCU in the Big East.  As weird as that is I would be very glad if that is the case.

I mean presuming this happens.  I have been told how this is all wrapped up but, heh, I have heard that before.

Despite what Berkut said it does look like Scott got Texas to make concessions on their network.  Now if only Time Warner would so I could watch the damn thing.

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 19, 2011, 08:29:52 AM
Kansas St., ISU, Bosie st. and BYU are definitely screwed.

Speculatively definitely screwed anyway.

Barrister

Why would Big 12 or ACC fold up shop however?

They are BCS conferences, and any member of those conferences have an excellent shot at a BCS bowl game.  They can just re-stock with members, some teams will rise to the top because of playing a weak in-conference opposition, and the world will go on?

I mean - isn't that what happened when the ACC poached some of the best teams away from the Big East several years ago?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.