News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football '11-'12

Started by katmai, March 08, 2011, 11:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

After what the NCAA did to USC I'd be a little worried if I were OSU.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 26, 2011, 08:04:01 PM

Pff. This is a joke compared to SC's violations. Not gonna happen.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 27, 2011, 10:28:52 AM

The NCAA does have this thing about liars.  They suspended Dez Bryant indefinitely when he did not even technically break any rules just because he was stupid enough to lie.  Dez is not the sharpest tool in the shed.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

dps

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 27, 2011, 10:28:52 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 26, 2011, 08:04:01 PM

The violations by the players were relatively minor.  But their cases have already been decided, their punishments handed down, and there's no new news on that front.  But Tressel obviously lied about what he knew and when he knew it, and the NCAA doesn't like that.

MadBurgerMaker

Boise State under investigation! It's for really stupid shit

QuoteIn football, the NCAA determined that total dollar value over five years was $4,934 for all of the housing, transportation and meals provided to 63 incoming student-athletes. All services ranged from $2.34 to a maximum of $417.55 and have been reimbursed by the student-athletes.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2011/05/02/1632708/ncaa-investigating-boise-state.html#ixzz1LGomok8q

$5k over five years for 63 dudes?  The horror.

Apparently, this is for things like crashing on couches and not paying back gas money after getting rides.  I'm not a big fan of Boise or anything, but c'mon.  Even bothering to investigate shit like this is a waste of everyone's time. Fuck em they have a blue field DEATH PENALTY!

dps

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on May 03, 2011, 02:00:40 AM
Boise State under investigation! It's for really stupid shit

QuoteIn football, the NCAA determined that total dollar value over five years was $4,934 for all of the housing, transportation and meals provided to 63 incoming student-athletes. All services ranged from $2.34 to a maximum of $417.55 and have been reimbursed by the student-athletes.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2011/05/02/1632708/ncaa-investigating-boise-state.html#ixzz1LGomok8q

$5k over five years for 63 dudes?  The horror.

Apparently, this is for things like crashing on couches and not paying back gas money after getting rides.  I'm not a big fan of Boise or anything, but c'mon.  Even bothering to investigate shit like this is a waste of everyone's time. Fuck em they have a blue field DEATH PENALTY!

Yeah, stuff like this is where the NCAA really needs to ease up and change some of it's rules.  Basically, if you're a student-athlete, if you happen to go to a friend's house and eat a meal, if you don't pay the friend for it, it's considered an illegal extra benefit--as if a student who doesn't play intercollegate sports can't have dinner at a friend's house.  And if you stay overnight at a friend's place, you have to pay them for that, as if they were a hotel.  It's stupid.  I mean, I see why there are rules against it;  it's to prevent agents and the like from wining and dining athletes at trendy restaurants and putting them up in luxury hotels, but that's not an excuse to not use common sense in enforcing those rules.

Berkut

Wow, the Pac-12 just fucking hit a walk off home run with the new TV deal.

The conference was getting about $45 million a year, new deal is worth $250 million per year, and every single Pac-12 football and basketball game will be on TV.

They should just rename it the "Larry Scott Conference" now.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

katmai

ESPN, Fox or new PAC-12 channel baby.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

Maybe now I can watch USC-UCLA on a decent channel.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Berkut

Utah and Colorado must be fucking shitting themselves right now. Talk about strolling into a jackpot.

0 rows returned

katmai

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 05, 2011, 10:16:52 AM
I wouldn't go that far!
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

Quote from: katmai on May 05, 2011, 10:17:51 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 05, 2011, 10:16:52 AM
I wouldn't go that far!

I was highly annoyed last year when USC-UCLA was over on Versus or some such bullshit. IT IS FUCKING USC AND UCLA. IT SHOULD BE ON ABC.

Berkut

One of the best parts of the deal is that it is equal divisions of revenue. No bullshit Texas "we get most of the money and you all STFU and do as your told" crap.

0 rows returned

Ed Anger

Quote from: Berkut on May 05, 2011, 10:19:38 AM
One of the best parts of the deal is that it is equal divisions of revenue. No bullshit Texas "we get most of the money and you all STFU and do as your told" crap.

:yes:

You can't let one school assrape the rest like Texas is allowed to do in the B12. I still wonder why Oklahoma tolerates that crap.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: dps on May 03, 2011, 03:12:58 AM
Yeah, stuff like this is where the NCAA really needs to ease up and change some of it's rules.  Basically, if you're a student-athlete, if you happen to go to a friend's house and eat a meal, if you don't pay the friend for it, it's considered an illegal extra benefit--as if a student who doesn't play intercollegate sports can't have dinner at a friend's house.  And if you stay overnight at a friend's place, you have to pay them for that, as if they were a hotel.  It's stupid.  I mean, I see why there are rules against it;  it's to prevent agents and the like from wining and dining athletes at trendy restaurants and putting them up in luxury hotels, but that's not an excuse to not use common sense in enforcing those rules.

Boise is punishing themselves for this.  For the football program, they're cutting out three practices prior to the beginning of the season, and are cutting three scholarships over the next two years. 

QuoteYou can't let one school assrape the rest like Texas is allowed to do in the B12. I still wonder why Oklahoma tolerates that crap.

:lol:  Because Oklahoma has the same deal as Texas and makes a bunch more money than everyone else.  It's based on TV appearances, which Texas and Oklahoma get a lot of, while Kansas and Iowa State....don't.  Texas, of course, will be getting another ~$15 million a year, I think it is, from the Horns Network.