Main Menu

NCAA Football '11-'12

Started by katmai, March 08, 2011, 11:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 08, 2011, 10:39:39 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 08, 2011, 08:03:56 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 08, 2011, 07:37:05 PM
This might re-ignite the old rumor that Urban Meyer might replace Sweater Vest sometime in the next few years.

Oh god no.

Ditto.  It would ruin his winning percentage.

It would be like RichRod at Michigan. Complete ruination. Let's bring novice football to the big leagues. We are Marshall!!!!!
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

grumbler

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 08, 2011, 12:03:45 PM
The original stories said the school knew pretty far ahead of time..
And we have always been at war with Eastasia.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: katmai on March 08, 2011, 07:33:32 PM
QuoteCOLUMBUS, Ohio – Ohio State president Gordon Gee has suspended coach Jim Tressel for the first two games of the 2011 season and also fined the Buckeyes coach $250,000 for failing to immediately disclose knowledge about his players' involvement in a memorabilia scheme with a Columbus businessman.

Yahoo! Sports reported Monday that Tressel had received information that players were selling items to Edward Rife – the owner of Fine Line Ink Tattoos in Columbus – as early as April 2010. When announcing Tressel's punishment Tuesday, Ohio State officials said Tressel failed to bring that information to their attention.
I am thinking that Tressel probably didn't know that the NCAA prohibited players from selling their own property.  I myself certainly knew that the NCAA's rules were stupid and fundamentalist, but I had no idea that they were communistic, and so can imagine Tressel not knowing that either.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

sbr

Quote from: grumbler on March 09, 2011, 12:48:31 PM
QuoteCOLUMBUS, Ohio – Ohio State president Gordon Gee has suspended coach Jim Tressel for the first two games of the 2011 season and also fined the Buckeyes coach $250,000 for failing to immediately disclose knowledge about his players' involvement in a memorabilia scheme with a Columbus businessman.

Yahoo! Sports reported Monday that Tressel had received information that players were selling items to Edward Rife – the owner of Fine Line Ink Tattoos in Columbus – as early as April 2010. When announcing Tressel's punishment Tuesday, Ohio State officials said Tressel failed to bring that information to their attention.
I am thinking that Tressel probably didn't know that the NCAA prohibited players from selling their own property.  I myself certainly knew that the NCAA's rules were stupid and fundamentalist, but I had no idea that they were communistic, and so can imagine Tressel not knowing that either.

Possible, but extremely unlikely.  AJ Green a receiver from Georgia, one of the top players in the country and a likely top 5 NFL pick next month was suspended for the first 4 games of the 2010 season for selling his 2009 Independence Bowl jersey.  It made enough news that I knew about it even though I don't follow Georgia or the SEC much. 

dps

Quote from: sbr on March 09, 2011, 07:14:06 PM
QuoteCOLUMBUS, Ohio – Ohio State president Gordon Gee has suspended coach Jim Tressel for the first two games of the 2011 season and also fined the Buckeyes coach $250,000 for failing to immediately disclose knowledge about his players’ involvement in a memorabilia scheme with a Columbus businessman.

Yahoo! Sports reported Monday that Tressel had received information that players were selling items to Edward Rife – the owner of Fine Line Ink Tattoos in Columbus – as early as April 2010. When announcing Tressel’s punishment Tuesday, Ohio State officials said Tressel failed to bring that information to their attention.

Possible, but extremely unlikely.  AJ Green a receiver from Georgia, one of the top players in the country and a likely top 5 NFL pick next month was suspended for the first 4 games of the 2010 season for selling his 2009 Independence Bowl jersey.  It made enough news that I knew about it even though I don't follow Georgia or the SEC much. 

Even in the unlikely event that it's true that he didn't know it was a violation, that's no excuse for him apparantly telling the NCAA in Nov/Dec that he didn't hear about the incident the investigation, when we now know that he was informed in April.  Also, the reports earlier this week just said that he got an e-mail, without saying who it war from.  I can understand if he didn't put any credence in an e-mail from just a random source, but now the reports are saying that it was from a former Buckeye player, which IMO should have given it at least some credibility in his eyes.

Berkut

I kind of doubt that "Gee, I didn't know that was against the rules..." is going to fly with the NCAA anyway.

While we may find the NCAA rules almost incomprehensibly silly, we are not NCAA coaches, and hence it is not our jobs to know such things. The idea that Tressel just didn't know the rules? Yeah, that is even more laughable than the ridiculous rules themselves.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on March 10, 2011, 08:50:06 AM
I kind of doubt that "Gee, I didn't know that was against the rules..." is going to fly with the NCAA anyway.

While we may find the NCAA rules almost incomprehensibly silly, we are not NCAA coaches, and hence it is not our jobs to know such things. The idea that Tressel just didn't know the rules? Yeah, that is even more laughable than the ridiculous rules themselves.
My post may not have been intended to be completely taken at face value.  :cool:

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Quote from: sbr on March 09, 2011, 07:14:06 PM

EVen I knew it was against the rules for player to sell gear or merchandise.  I remember some story (probably that one) about a player getting into trouble for doing it, and remembered it because it seemed so silly.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

MadBurgerMaker

Haha Auburn just won the Fulmer Cup and it's only March.  The most points for a single team ever.  Very nice.

http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/

QuoteAUBURN JUST ENDED THE 2011 FULMER CUP. Four Auburn football players have been charged with five counts each of first degree robbery, one count each of first degree burglary, and one count each of theft of property in a home invasion that took place early Friday morning in Auburn. The bond for each of them is $511,000. Antonio Goodwin, Kowalski Q. Kitchens, Michael McNeil, and Harrison Mosley are all in legal straits that are, per Glennon Threatt on Finebaum just a few minutes ago, the worst in the legal system shy of actually killing someone.

The minimum sentences in theory for these is somewhere between twenty years and life. Put in the bluntest and most accurate terms possible, the four men involved are in horrendous fucking trouble if this all stands. They've been kicked off the team, but that's the least of their concerns right now.

The numbers for the single biggest combined team score in the history of the Fulmer Cup follow. (Rules here.)

Each robbery count is a felony, and is three points per charge. Reading the police report, each player received five counts of first degree robbery, bringing three points times five charges each for four players to sixty points. Add in the felony burglary charges (one each) for four people at three points, and we're up to 72 points. Four misdemeanor theft of property charges pile on to 76 points total, and that's before we add a single, measly bonus point on top just for the dark humor of throwing only a single bonus point onto a massive heap of Fulmer Cup points. Just look at that widdle bonus point. Eees soooo kewte.

Auburn previously had three points, so the sum total for Auburn in the 2011 Fulmer Cup comes out as 80 points. This marks the second time this week UVA has blown a seemingly insurmountable lead, and sets a record for the Fulmer Cup in terms of team scoring for a single year, much less a single incident. This is the Krakatoa of Fulmer Cup scores; we hope to never see its equal, because we think that involves an entire football team being charged with murder.*

**Something that Auburn could have been charged with following the 2010 SEC Championship Game.***

***No they couldn't have. There wasn't enough left of South Carolina to identify.

MadImmortalMan

They're gonna have to rename the Cup now.

PDH

It should be retired now, just like the Scheider Cup.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Valmy

Ed Anger drives Kirk Herbsteit out of Ohio:

QuoteKirk Herbstreit and his family moved out of central Ohio yesterday, a change that the ESPN college football analyst said he had pondered for three years. Herbstreit said the move to Nashville, Tenn., was because of the constant criticism he has received from a vocal minority of Ohio State fans who don't understand that his job at the network demands objectivity and fairness.

"Nobody loves Ohio State more than me," said Herbstreit, a former Buckeyes quarterback. "I still have a picture of Woody Hayes and my dad (Jim, a former OSU player) in my office, and nobody will do more than I do for the university behind the scenes. But I've got a job to do, and I'm going to continue to be fair and objective. To continue to have to defend myself and my family in regards to my love and devotion to Ohio State is unfair."

Herbstreit said he and his wife, Allison, visited several cities before deciding on Nashville. He will continue to do his Monday radio show on WBNS-FM (97.1) in the fall.

"From a sports perspective, this is rough," he said. "I love Ohio State. Love the Blue Jackets. Love the Reds. Those are my hobbies. I don't like moving. I love living here. I don't want to leave. But I just can't do this anymore. I really can't keep going like this.

"Eighty to ninety percent of the Ohio State fans are great. It's the vocal minority that make it rough. They probably represent only 5 to 10 percent of the fan base, but they are relentless."

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/b8vxF
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on March 14, 2011, 01:25:52 PM
Ed Anger drives Kirk Herbsteit out of Ohio:

QuoteKirk Herbstreit and his family moved out of central Ohio yesterday, a change that the ESPN college football analyst said he had pondered for three years. Herbstreit said the move to Nashville, Tenn., was because of the constant criticism he has received from a vocal minority of Ohio State fans who don't understand that his job at the network demands objectivity and fairness.

"Nobody loves Ohio State more than me," said Herbstreit, a former Buckeyes quarterback. "I still have a picture of Woody Hayes and my dad (Jim, a former OSU player) in my office, and nobody will do more than I do for the university behind the scenes. But I've got a job to do, and I'm going to continue to be fair and objective. To continue to have to defend myself and my family in regards to my love and devotion to Ohio State is unfair."

Herbstreit said he and his wife, Allison, visited several cities before deciding on Nashville. He will continue to do his Monday radio show on WBNS-FM (97.1) in the fall.

"From a sports perspective, this is rough," he said. "I love Ohio State. Love the Blue Jackets. Love the Reds. Those are my hobbies. I don't like moving. I love living here. I don't want to leave. But I just can't do this anymore. I really can't keep going like this.

"Eighty to ninety percent of the Ohio State fans are great. It's the vocal minority that make it rough. They probably represent only 5 to 10 percent of the fan base, but they are relentless."

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/b8vxF

Dud, don't lump me in with the mass of Buckeye untermenschen. Herbie will always be a Miami Valley boy to me.  :)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

And why in the hell are you reading Bleacher Report? That retard breeding pool is about as readable as this place.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadImmortalMan

So I guess Mark May will never have to move anywhere.