And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football '11-'12

Started by katmai, March 08, 2011, 11:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 03, 2011, 11:28:20 PM
Quote from: Valmy on December 03, 2011, 11:27:25 PM
8-4 a winning team for the Timmy Homers?  Notre Dame went 8-4 this year and their fans on this board seemed to have bailed on them after week 2 :P

Holy Mother Church does not suffer disappointment well.
But it does suffer disappointment often.  I've stopped keeping track of their coaching merry-go-round.  Is the guy who trashed all the players he didn't recruit still there?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on December 04, 2011, 12:00:12 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 03, 2011, 11:56:41 PM
substandard Michigan State education.

:lol:  My wife said something similar.  Is Michigan State just continuously ridiculed up there in snow country?
Pretty much (though, to be sure, they are probably on a par with OSU and PSU academically).  The non-flagship schools in pretty much every state are esteemed less, but the Sparties try their best t pretend that they are the flagship school, knowing full well that they would have gone to Michigan themselves, had they been accepted.

That baying noise you will hear when MSU doesn't get the BCS invite and Michigan does (despite the fact that MSU beat Michigan and is probably the better team) will be music to my ears.  The fact of the matter (as demonstrated by the fact that the B10 CG committee had to pay people to fill the seats) is that your typical Sparty fan can't get the time off work to attend bowl games, and can't afford the tickets if he/she could get the day off.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Scipio

Quote from: grumbler on December 03, 2011, 09:45:16 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 03, 2011, 09:25:49 PM
Just caught the improvised hook and ladder and the 2 point conversion.

If Cousins ends up in the Bigs he better not try that triple coverage crossing route pass.

Wisconsin cheerleaders have some fucking phenomenal skin tone.
Southern Miss's defeat of Houston ends the projected matchup of Houston and Michigan in the Sugar.  Too bad.  I was looking forward to seeing that Michigan defense dismantle the Houston offense.  This outcome surprises me.

It may help Michigan get to the top 14 in the BCS, though.  I imagine Houston will tumble past Michigan, since their only asset was being unbeaten (a four-point win over UCLA being their best win).
The USM-Houston result is totally unsurprising, since you can guarantee a USM win when it will damage their prospects and those of C-USA as a whole the most.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

grumbler

Quote from: Scipio on December 04, 2011, 07:54:15 AM
The USM-Houston result is totally unsurprising, since you can guarantee a USM win when it will damage their prospects and those of C-USA as a whole the most.

I don't follow them, but they sound like the Boilermakers of the South.

Bayraktar!

PDH

8-4 a winning team for the Timmy Homers?  Notre Dame went 8-4 this year and their fans on this board seemed to have bailed on them after week 2 :P

8-4 is sweet, sweet music to the fan of a team that made 4 wins in 3 years less than a decade ago.  Heck, even people who used to only pretend to like football came to some games this year...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on December 04, 2011, 07:16:10 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 03, 2011, 11:28:20 PM

Holy Mother Church does not suffer disappointment well.
But it does suffer disappointment often.  I've stopped keeping track of their coaching merry-go-round.  Is the guy who trashed all the players he didn't recruit still there?

Yes.  :(

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: grumbler on December 04, 2011, 07:27:51 AMPretty much (though, to be sure, they are probably on a par with OSU and PSU academically).  The non-flagship schools in pretty much every state are esteemed less, but the Sparties try their best t pretend that they are the flagship school, knowing full well that they would have gone to Michigan themselves, had they been accepted.

What's wrong with OSU? It's like 55th in the country by the rankings.

But the real question is, why do people feel the need to insult the educational quality of other schools? Last I checked all the schools in major conferences in football are accredited by regional bodies that all have the same criteria for accrediting schools and programs. Now, some of the schools are AAU schools and some aren't, but AAU membership isn't a matter of accreditation but rather academic prestige.

I don't think anyone will deny that schools like Virginia, UC-Berkeley ("Cal"), Stanford, Texas, Michigan are more selective than say OSU, PSU or Michigan State, but for an undergraduate how is the education materially different? Are we to believe that at Ohio State mandatory calculus classes teach a different form of calculus than is taught at Michigan and Stanford?

I don't doubt, and in fact I know, that if you're going into academia the more prestigious schools are better in important ways. Namely when you go into graduate school you start to work very closely with the professors and at a level of instruction where the professor's expertise is really important. But most of the undergraduate courses from Harvard to Stanford to State U. are essentially taught in the same fashion. Isaac Newton wouldn't necessarily be a better Calc I teacher than some professor at Virginia Tech.

Valmy

Quote from: PDH on December 04, 2011, 09:02:03 AM
8-4 is sweet, sweet music to the fan of a team that made 4 wins in 3 years less than a decade ago.  Heck, even people who used to only pretend to like football came to some games this year...

I know I just liked your characterization of rooting for 8-4 Wyoming making it less fun because it felt like you were a fan of some powerhouse.

I guess TCU is BCS bound that means a better bowl for all the rest of the MWC.  What will it be?

Texas is going to the Holiday Bowl baby!  Against Cal I would bet.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Poor Oklahoma st., they came so close to passing Alabama in both polls!  :lol:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Yeah that is not very funny.  My poor Uncle will be devastated.

Ah well.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on December 04, 2011, 07:32:04 PM
Yeah that is not very funny.  My poor Uncle will be devastated.

Ah well.
Maybe the computers will put them over the top? They beat more ranked teams than Alabama.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

OttoVonBismarck

So the Texas AD released a statement saying Brown will be there for a long time? Is that code for "Brown may be let go?"

I don't think they'll boot Mack Brown over this year and last year, but I think if he doesn't win 9+ next year maybe something could happen.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 04, 2011, 07:50:30 PM
So the Texas AD released a statement saying Brown will be there for a long time? Is that code for "Brown may be let go?"

I don't think they'll boot Mack Brown over this year and last year, but I think if he doesn't win 9+ next year maybe something could happen.

There was some stupid twitter rumor that Mack Brown was going to retire after the Bayor game.  At first they just said it wasn't worth their time, but reporters were asking Brown about it (he said he wasn't going anywhere), and they mentioned it during the game, etc, so I would think this is their official response.

Twitter is the worst thing.

Admiral Yi

Was it a twitter rumor?  The announcers said they picked up the rumor from the airport shuttle driver.  :lol:

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 04, 2011, 08:11:46 PM
Was it a twitter rumor?  The announcers said they picked up the rumor from the airport shuttle driver.  :lol:

It started, I think, on twitter with someone "reporting" that a radio dude in....somewhere in Kansas I think it was.....was saying Mack was retiring, and just snowballed.

Edit:  Okay, I found the post.  It was because of a tweet by this guy Jake Lebahn, who is the "sports director" for WIBW in fuckin Topeka of all places.  If he didn't start it, then I don't know where it came from. vOv