News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Obama restarts Guantanamo trials after 2 years

Started by jimmy olsen, March 07, 2011, 08:06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

I think it will be interesting to see how his supporters justify this.
PDH!

Josephus

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on March 08, 2011, 09:15:21 PM

He still has any?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on March 08, 2011, 09:15:21 PM
They supported previous flip flops by doing the same, why would that change?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Berkut

Kind of trivial at this point to note that Hillary would have been preferable to HopeandChange.

Funny that all the "big" items relating to security that Obama got elected on turned out to be exactly as difficult and problematic as those who didn't drink the "Bushitler" kool-aid said they were, and Obamas "solutions" have universally not been implemented at all.

Iraq - He pretty much just copied and implemented the Bush/McCain plan in whole.
Afghanistan - Nothing changed here at all - but he gets to own the mess now. Well done.
Gitmo - This is the biggy. The left rode the Gitmo==warcrimes schtick for 4+ years, and since they got in charge, have done exactly NOTHING different from Bush. Of course, the reality is that it really is a damn hard problem without obvious solution other than what was already being done.

Is there a single major foreign policy initiative that Obama has done anything substantially different from his predecessors policies? I mean, you know, other than pressing the reset button with Russia that has worked out so well?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Josephus

I know that this is simplifying it but I always knew that Obama wouldn't change anything and the key reasoning is that the US President doesn't hold the real power when it comes to foreign affairs.
There's a group of people, not sure who they are, NSA or whatever who basically say, "Look Mr. President, we can't let you do that."

It's probably not as cut and dry as that, and I'm not pulling for an XFiles conspiracy; but I'm sure at the top secret level advisory meetings there are this group of people who have the power to convince the president on what course to follow.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Berkut

Quote from: Josephus on March 09, 2011, 10:03:51 AM
I know that this is simplifying it but I always knew that Obama wouldn't change anything and the key reasoning is that the US President doesn't hold the real power when it comes to foreign affairs.
There's a group of people, not sure who they are, NSA or whatever who basically say, "Look Mr. President, we can't let you do that."

It's probably not as cut and dry as that, and I'm not pulling for an XFiles conspiracy; but I'm sure at the top secret level advisory meetings there are this group of people who have the power to convince the president on what course to follow.

Well, I think there is probably a group of professional who once they explain the reality to the President the president goes "Gee, I guess maybe the former president was not actually insane and bent on crippling America!"

See: Kennedy/Eisenhower missile gap.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Caliga

FWIW, I doubt Obama personally bought into the "Bushitler" thing anyway, but of course that's the sort of nonsense he had to pander to in order to win his primary.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Sheilbh

Quote from: Berkut on March 09, 2011, 09:14:25 AM
Iraq - He pretty much just copied and implemented the Bush/McCain plan in whole.
Afghanistan - Nothing changed here at all - but he gets to own the mess now. Well done.
But I remember arguing during the election that Obama and McCain had next to no policy difference on these issues.  You and others disagreed, but that's been there all along.

QuoteGitmo - This is the biggy. The left rode the Gitmo==warcrimes schtick for 4+ years, and since they got in charge, have done exactly NOTHING different from Bush. Of course, the reality is that it really is a damn hard problem without obvious solution other than what was already being done.
This is fair and I feel the civil libertarians are the one group who can genuinely claim to have been betrayed by Obama.  The rest are moaners or didn't pay enough attention to what was actually being said.

QuoteIs there a single major foreign policy initiative that Obama has done anything substantially different from his predecessors policies? I mean, you know, other than pressing the reset button with Russia that has worked out so well?
To be fair Russia policy and anti-nuclear has been successful, but it's been more general.  Eastern European-Russian relations have generally thawed for example which eases the tension more generally. 

There's continuity but I'd say that's down to Bush moving to a position that's close to Obama and the centrist left rather than anything else.  The difference between Bush in 2004 and Bush at the end of his term is, basically, Rumsfeld vs Gates.  I've always said, and I think many on the left would agree, that Bush was a dreadful strong President with great poll ratings and a Republican congress but a rather good weak President when he'd lost those.  Bush from 2006 was pretty decent - I think because he started calling his dad again.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Berkut on March 09, 2011, 09:14:25 AM
Gitmo - This is the biggy. The left rode the Gitmo==warcrimes schtick for 4+ years, and since they got in charge, have done exactly NOTHING different from Bush. Of course, the reality is that it really is a damn hard problem without obvious solution other than what was already being done.

That is sort of true, but incomplete.  The Obama policy on Gitmo has substantial continuity with the Bush policy as it evolved towards the end of his second term.  However, the Bush policy only got to that point after trying other more outrageous things and getting shot down a couple times by the Supreme Court.  The policy was basically forced upon him, whereas Obama would have followed it from the start out of conviction.

I do concede the broader point that there is no real difference between what Obama has done and what McCain likely would have done.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 10, 2011, 05:39:56 PM
But I remember arguing during the election that Obama and McCain had next to no policy difference on these issues.  You and others disagreed, but that's been there all along.
This is not quite true.  Obama is on record as voting to withdraw US troops from Iraq *before* teh surge began.

Obama escaped having to make a truly unpleasant choice on Iraq thanks to the success of Bush's policies.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 10, 2011, 07:04:31 PM
Obama escaped having to make a truly unpleasant choice on Iraq thanks to the success of Bush's McCain's policies foisted on Bush after Rumsfeld was run out of town on a rail

Fixed.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

I would also like to point out that part of the reset button with Russia appears to have been de facto recognition of the annexation of Abkhazia and South Ossetia.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 10, 2011, 07:04:31 PMThis is not quite true.  Obama is on record as voting to withdraw US troops from Iraq *before* teh surge began.
But that's not really relevant to what you do after 2009.

QuoteObama escaped having to make a truly unpleasant choice on Iraq thanks to the success of Bush's policies.
McCain and Obama had the same policy because of the SOFA Bush signed with Iraq.  The rest was window dressing.

On the Russian side of the reset they've signed up to a seemingly pretty successful and very strong sanctions regime on Iran.  But how is that different from what Bush or McCain would have done?  Were you going to 'liberate' them or issue strongly worded statements (which Bush didn't) on Georgian indpendence day? 
Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 10, 2011, 05:39:56 PM
This is fair and I feel the civil libertarians are the one group who can genuinely claim to have been betrayed by Obama.  The rest are moaners or didn't pay enough attention to what was actually being said.

You say that as if it's some small faction.  I'd say a rather sizable chunk of Obama supporters wanted Gitmo shut down.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall