News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Obama restarts Guantanamo trials after 2 years

Started by jimmy olsen, March 07, 2011, 08:06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 11, 2011, 02:10:36 PM
On the Russian side of the reset they've signed up to a seemingly pretty successful and very strong sanctions regime on Iran.  But how is that different from what Bush or McCain would have done?  Were you going to 'liberate' them or issue strongly worded statements (which Bush didn't) on Georgian indpendence day?
McCain was talking during the campaign about booting them from the G-whatever.

I've heard nothing at all about this pretty successful and very strong sanctions regime.  Got any details?  When did it start?

grumbler

Quote from: Caliga on March 08, 2011, 12:52:05 PM
Quote from: The Brain on March 08, 2011, 12:22:06 PM
How many Hitlers can you have in a row?
:huh: We haven't had any Hitlers in a row.  We've had three worse than Hitlers, though. :(
:lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on March 11, 2011, 04:38:46 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 10, 2011, 05:39:56 PM
This is fair and I feel the civil libertarians are the one group who can genuinely claim to have been betrayed by Obama.  The rest are moaners or didn't pay enough attention to what was actually being said.

You say that as if it's some small faction.  I'd say a rather sizable chunk of Obama supporters wanted Gitmo shut down.

Is it greater or less then the number of Birthers in the GOP?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: derspiess on March 11, 2011, 04:38:46 PM
You say that as if it's some small faction.  I'd say a rather sizable chunk of Obama supporters wanted Gitmo shut down.
He won over 50% of the vote.  I think lots of people wanted him to shut it down,  I think the number of people for whom that's their issue, that's their thing is far, far smaller.  Civil libertarians are a small but noble bunch who will almost always be disappointed

QuoteI've heard nothing at all about this pretty successful and very strong sanctions regime.  Got any details?  When did it start?
June 2010.  From what I've read they're far stronger than the regimes voted in in 2008.  In fact I'd read that the combination of stuxnet and sanctions had caused real problems for the Iranian program and the regime.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Minsky Moment

There is nothing inherently bad about having a detention facility at Guantanamo Bay; it's not like there is some insurmountable problem with the feng shui there.  The problem was always about the policy of how to handle the detainees there.  That problem could have occurred whether the detainees were housed in Guam, the Colorado supermax, or if they re-opened Alcatraz.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson