Main Menu

Obama restarts Guantanamo trials after 2 years

Started by jimmy olsen, March 07, 2011, 08:06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

And why should I believe this is gonna work out this time :hmm:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41957269/ns/politics/

QuoteObama restarts Guantanamo trials after 2 years
White House also reiterates that it remains committed to eventually closing the facility

By LOLITA C. BALDOR
The Associated Press
updated 1 hour 24 minutes ago 2011-03-07T23:27:35

WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama approved on Monday the resumption of military trials for detainees at the U.S. prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, ending a two-year ban.

It was the latest acknowledgement that the detention facility Obama had vowed to shut down within a year of taking office would remain open for some time. Even while announcing a resumption of military commission trials, however, Obama reaffirmed his support for trying terror suspects in U.S. federal courts, which has met vehement resistance in Congress.

"I strongly believe that the American system of justice is a key part of our arsenal in the war against al-Qaida and its affiliates, and we will continue to draw on all aspects of our justice system — including Article III courts — to ensure that our security and our values are strengthened," the president said in a statement.

The White House also reiterated that the administration remains committed eventually to close the prison in Cuba, although Monday's actions did not seem to bring that outcome closer.

Under Obama's order, Defense Secretary Robert Gates will rescind his January 2009 ban against bringing new cases against the terror suspects at the detention facility.

The first trial likely to begin under Obama's new order would involve Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri, the alleged mastermind of the 2000 bombing of the USS Cole. Al-Nashiri, a Saudi of Yemeni descent, has been imprisoned at Guantanamo since 2006.

Closure of the facility has become untenable because of questions about where terror suspects would be held. Lawmakers object to their transfer to U.S. federal courts, and Gates recently told lawmakers that it has become very difficult to release detainees to other countries because Congress has made that process more complicated.

House Armed Services Committee Chairman Howard "Buck" McKeon, a Republican, said he was pleased with Obama's decision to restart the military commissions. But he said the administration must work with Congress to create a trial system that will survive review by the U.S. court system.

A sweeping defense bill Obama signed in January blocked the use of Defense Department dollars to transfer Guantanamo suspects to U.S. soil for trial. The White House said Monday it would work to overturn that prohibition.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josephus

I really don't know why the Republicans hate Obama so much. He's the best president they've had in years.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Ed Anger

Quote from: Josephus on March 07, 2011, 08:07:20 PM
I really don't know why the Republicans hate Obama so much. He's the best president they've had in years.

:yes:

Bush Term #3.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: The Brain on March 08, 2011, 12:22:06 PM
How many Hitlers can you have in a row?
:huh: We haven't had any Hitlers in a row.  We've had three worse than Hitlers, though. :(

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 08, 2011, 07:01:24 AM
Quote from: Habbaku on March 07, 2011, 08:12:35 PM
Should've voted for Hillary.  :(

She'll have her time.

Yeah, wait for her to start looking like Helen Thomas.  She'll be really electable then :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

As long as she doesn't start acting like Helen Thomas, she'll be fine.

Josephus

It would be total Kharma if President Hillary blows an intern.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

Quote from: Josephus on March 08, 2011, 07:48:05 PM
It would be total Kharma if President Hillary blows an intern.

I'm not sure actively getting even is really karma. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

I've come to the same conclusion.  At least she had balls.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

KRonn

Quote from: Razgovory on March 08, 2011, 08:00:17 PM

I've come to the same conclusion.  At least she had balls.
I always preferred Hillary over Obama. I felt she had experience and a toughness about her that would serve her well in politics.