News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Grey Fox

Double Yes.

The Olympics just need to stop being in shitty places.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on February 06, 2014, 07:14:10 PM
Should the NHL suspend play during the Olympics? Should NHLers particpate?
The problem would arise with European countries, mainly russia, that if the NHL does not participate, the KHL will participate anyway, so the competition would be to their advantage.

But I do remember the Lillehammer games, it was only a bronze medal for Canada, but damn, these guys were playing with their heart.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on February 04, 2014, 07:36:22 PM
What an age we live in. :cool:

I'm stuck on a bus coming back to Edmonton after having to make an appearance in Calgary court.  There's a Jets game on, which you'd think I miss.

Except this bus has wi-fi, and as a result I'm able to sit back and listen to the game.  Hell I could probably watch the game, but I don't want to push my luck on the bandwidth.

The joys of listening hockey on radio.  Haven't done that since I was 8 years old and supposedly asleep in my room :D
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josephus

Quote from: viper37 on February 07, 2014, 10:42:07 AM
The problem would arise with European countries, mainly russia, that if the NHL does not participate, the KHL will participate anyway, so the competition would be to their advantage.

But I do remember the Lillehammer games, it was only a bronze medal for Canada, but damn, these guys were playing with their heart.

that's the problem as I see. The "juniors" put their heart into it...you get the sense the NHLers are only calling it in.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on February 07, 2014, 01:29:08 PM

that's the problem as I see. The "juniors" put their heart into it...you get the sense the NHLers are only calling it in.

At the World Championship held annually, sure.

But at the Olympics?  These guys are giving it their all.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Josephus on February 07, 2014, 01:29:08 PM

:yeahright:

Not at the Olympics, especially not the Europeans.

Josephus

Still seemed better when 18-21 year olds were kissing medals, not multi-millionaires....just saying.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Canucks trade Luongo to Florida. :lmfao:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on March 04, 2014, 05:03:51 PM

:huh:

Smartest move they have made in years.  The teams sucks and needs a reboot.  I had to laugh at all the nashing of teeth over not starting Luongo in the Classic - pretty obvious the reason was he was being traded and the condition was he not play and risk injury.

Hopefully they can also unload Kesler and the Twins before the day is done.

On another topic I read an article advocating for the NHL to adopt Olympic Rules.   As I said in the Sochi thread, I think that would be a great idea.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 04, 2014, 05:45:29 PM

Smartest move they have made in years.  The teams sucks and needs a reboot.  I had to laugh at all the nashing of teeth over not starting Luongo in the Classic - pretty obvious the reason was he was being traded and the condition was he not play and risk injury.

On another topic I read an article advocating for the NHL to adopt Olympic Rules.   As I said in the Sochi thread, I think that would be a great idea.

It would have been a smart move - if they had done it a year ago when it was rumoured.  Or even longer ago - I think the Luongo circus has been going on for two years now.  But it was just a few months ago when the Canucks traded Schneider and said they were re-committing to Luongo going forward.

You're asking for the team to be blown up and rebuilt.  Be careful what you wish for.

Mind you, since the Nucks are one of the 4 teams chasing that final western playoff spot, anything that weakens them is fine by me. :)

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on March 04, 2014, 05:51:40 PM

It would have been a smart move - if they had done it a year ago when it was rumoured.  Or even longer ago - I think the Luongo circus has been going on for two years now.  But it was just a few months ago when the Canucks traded Schneider and said they were re-committing to Luongo going forward.

You're asking for the team to be blown up and rebuilt.  Be careful what you wish for.

Mind you, since the Nucks are one of the 4 teams chasing that final western playoff spot, anything that weakens them is fine by me. :)

They traded Schnieder in June BB.  When it was apparent they couldnt unload Lu.  Now they did.  Its a great accomplishment to convince someone to take him.

There is no upside for this team without blowing it up.  They peaked three years ago.  The current GM needs to remake the team the way he wants it and for that he needs cap room.

Grey Fox

Do you mean the ice surface? Because 90% of the other rules are the same. It's ice size & icing the big differences.

Going to Olympic size ice is not a good idea, especially since the NHL is usually trying to have more goals, not less.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on March 04, 2014, 05:51:40 PM

Eddie Lack is the new parametres in that equation.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 04, 2014, 07:38:26 PM

Do you mean the ice surface? Because 90% of the other rules are the same. It's ice size & icing the big differences.

Going to Olympic size ice is not a good idea, especially since the NHL is usually trying to have more goals, not less.

Do you remember me talking about the lack of fighting in Olympic hockey?