News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Elon Musk: Always A Douche

Started by garbon, July 15, 2018, 07:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on June 20, 2022, 11:25:29 AMThere are many things against the law.  That is a mere truism.  What does that have to do with our discussion here? And, BTW, I know of no jurisdiction where mere speech that is begging is illegal.  A man begging a woman to marry him is breaking the law?  Absurd.

Pretty sure he meant begging for money on the street - panhandling.

Jacob

Two years ago today in Elon Musk is a Douche moments:

viper37

So, SpaceX gives all its employees a fixed number of days per year they can take off, say 5 days.  And now, in all his generosity, Musk has declared (as of 2 years ago) that for Tesla and SpaceX, one of these will now be used for Juneteenth?  So he is giving them what they already have?

Great man.  He should become Canadian, he'd have a future in the Liberal Party. ;)
I don't do meditation.<br />I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on June 20, 2022, 11:26:30 AM
Quote from: grumbler on June 20, 2022, 11:25:29 AMThere are many things against the law.  That is a mere truism.  What does that have to do with our discussion here? And, BTW, I know of no jurisdiction where mere speech that is begging is illegal.  A man begging a woman to marry him is breaking the law?  Absurd.

Pretty sure he meant begging for money on the street - panhandling.

Panhandling isn't speech.  My point is that we should not ban speech because someone has an issue with it - even if it is many people who have an issue with it.  Western societies have been pretty careful to not make mere speech illegal, and I think society writ whole should do the same with "cancelling" speech.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on June 20, 2022, 07:06:04 PMPanhandling isn't speech.  My point is that we should not ban speech because someone has an issue with it - even if it is many people who have an issue with it.  Western societies have been pretty careful to not make mere speech illegal, and I think society writ whole should do the same with "cancelling" speech.

"Spare some change?" isn't speech? My mistake then.

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on June 20, 2022, 07:12:49 PM"Spare some change?" isn't speech? My mistake then.

What a strange idea!  Do you really think that it is a mistake to believe that the phrase "spare some change?" isn't speech?  What else could it be?

It also isn't illegal to utter that phrase, so I don't know what point you are attempting to make. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob