News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Ahhh, Toronto sports teams, keep reaching for the stars
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

katmai

Quote from: Barrister on January 08, 2013, 12:06:26 PM
Hey Viper - Jamison is *still* trying to find investors to purchase the Coyotes.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/07/report-jamison-still-seeking-financing-to-purchase-coyotes/

I'm telling you man - don't worry.  You've got this in the bag - eventually.

:zipped:

QuoteThe Maloof family is finalizing an agreement to sell the Sacramento Kings to a group that hopes to move the franchise to Seattle for the 2013-14 season, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Kings co-owners George, Gavin and Phil Maloof are expected to keep ...

The deal will sell the Kings for approximately $500 million to a group led by hedge-fund manager Chris Hansen and Microsoft chairman Steve Ballmer. The group is seeking to relocate the franchise to Seattle's KeyArena for the 2013-14 season.

The Seattle group's plans, with support of the NBA, is to play two seasons in KeyArena before moving into a new Seattle arena, sources said.

No agreement has been signed, but one source with knowledge of the talks described the deal as "first and goal at the 1." The Maloofs' history of changing course late in negotiations still has some uneasy about getting the sale completed. The Maloofs previously neared a deal with Sacramento leaders to help finance a new arena in the city before backing out.

The Maloofs are expected to keep an extremely small percentage of the team, but will have no real input or say in the franchise, sources said.

Once the sale is completed, the Seattle-based group will have until March to file for relocation. NBA commissioner David Stern has been a big proponent of the Hansen-Ballmer group, and league officials will work diligently to help the franchise move to Seattle if the sale is finalized, sources said. The Seattle-based group is determined to not have the franchise spend a final lame-duck season in Sacramento.

The prospective Seattle ownership plans are to change the Kings' name and logos back to the original proprietors of the city's NBA history: the Sonics. "Same name and logos," a source working with the group told Y! Sports.

When owner Clay Bennett moved the Sonics franchise to Oklahoma City in 2008, he left behind the name, logos and history.

The Kings' status in Sacramento has been tenuous since the arena deal fell apart near the end of last season.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Barrister

The trouble with the Seattle deal (from an NHL perspective) is that the NHL franchise would be a mere tenant in the new arena.  No ancillary revenues whatsoever.

The Yotes may wind up going to Seattle.  I'm positive QC will get a team, but it might not be the Yotes.  But I think Yotes -> Quebec City is the far more likely option, since there the team will essentially "Own" the building and all profits it generates.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

katmai

:huh: The plan is the Ownership group that purchases the Basketball team will be same one to acquire the Hockey team.

As Hansen is going to be in both and is head of the private money building the  arena, not sure how the NHL team is only just a tenant.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Barrister

Quote from: katmai on January 09, 2013, 05:05:26 PM
:huh: The plan is the Ownership group that purchases the Basketball team will be same one to acquire the Hockey team.

As Hansen is going to be in both and is head of the private money building the  arena, not sure how the NHL team is only just a tenant.

I don't know what to tell you.

everything I've read is that Hansen does NOT want to own an NHL team.  He'd love to have one as a tenant, but this deal is all about bringing basketball back to Seattle.  The NHL is only a sideshow.

Let me see if I can find a link.

PRC

Canadiens tells Gomez to stay home:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413436

CANADIENS TELL GOMEZ NOT TO REPORT TO TEAM THIS SEASON

1/13/2013 10:35:49 AM

The Scott Gomez era in Montreal appears to be at an end.

According to TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie, the Canadiens have told Gomez he will not be a part of the team this season. Montreal will continue to pay Gomez for the season and his contract will count against the team's salary cap.

Gomez's salary for 2012-13 is $5.5 million but carries cap hit of $7.357 million (based on an 82-game schedule).

The team does not want to risk Gomez being injured before they can buyout his contract this summer.

Valmy

Holy crap the Caps first game is Saturday?  Heh that was fast.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on January 14, 2013, 10:38:51 AM
Holy crap the Caps first game is Saturday?  Heh that was fast.

Yup they're not fooling around.

Valmy - the battle continues next Tuesday.  Jets at Washington.  Be there or be square.

Barrister

By the way, I understand next Monday is a US holiday, but why the hell would you schedule a Canadian team to play a matinee Monday game when all of your Canadian fans will be at work. :ultra:

Grey Fox

:ultra:

Gamecenterlive is 50$ in the US.

:ultra:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

The NHL has a real shitty website - I can't even find out how much Game Centre is, or how to order it.

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on January 14, 2013, 10:52:25 AM
The NHL has a real shitty website - I can't even find out how much Game Centre is, or how to order it.
It's not like the NHL is a real professional league.  It's amateur hour and it shows.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on January 14, 2013, 10:52:25 AM

Centre Ice
Game Centre Live, altho that doesn't appear to work.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on January 14, 2013, 10:40:31 AM
Valmy - the battle continues next Tuesday.  Jets at Washington.  Be there or be square.

The fanaticism of the wild and crazy Caps fans will intimidate and overwhelm the Jets.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on January 14, 2013, 11:35:29 AM
Quote from: Barrister on January 14, 2013, 10:40:31 AM

The fanaticism of the wild and crazy Caps fans will intimidate and overwhelm the Jets.

:yeahright:

On Sunday in Winnipeg approx 5,000 people showed up to watch an hour of Jets practice.  That's right, practice.