And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 05, 2012, 08:06:57 AM
Quote from: Valmy on June 05, 2012, 07:53:46 AM
I am not even sure what to think about the Kings.  I mean they are the 8th seed but this is no cinderella run they are just destroying everybody.  How can this be possible?  How were they not the #1 seed if they are just good?

Because Brent Sutter is bullying that team into a steady effort. Something Terry Murray couldn't do.

Darryl Sutter, but yeah.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Apparently Brent Sutter is going to be the next coach in Edmonton.

Zoupa

Barf.

What's with the Brent Sutter love. Dude is a proven loser, with a loser attitude and a losing record. I don't get it.

They should hire Jacques Martin. Get some defensive sense into the young ones.

katmai

Pfft just need to realize will never win till they relocate to US. :P
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Barrister

Barrister

Quote from: Zoupa on June 05, 2012, 09:38:50 PM
Barf.

What's with the Brent Sutter love. Dude is a proven loser, with a loser attitude and a losing record. I don't get it.

They should hire Jacques Martin. Get some defensive sense into the young ones.

:huh:

He won two Stanley Cups as a player, as a coach won the Memorial Cup and two World Junior gold medals.  He in fact has a winning record as a coach.

The buzz around Brent Sutter in Edmonton seems to revolve around 1. the fact Kevin Lowe hired Sutter to coach the latest international thing the name of which I am blanking on, and 2. the success Darryl seems to be having in LA.

Barrister

Lots of breaking news on the Coyotes.

Glendale scheduled a vote to approve terms of lease of jobing.com to Jamison.  Lease includes paying Jamison an "arena management fee" of $15 mil every year for 20 years.

The much talked about Goldwater Institute files for an emergency temporary retsraining order, saying that they were provided with a copy of the lease and other materials yesterday afternoon and there's not enough time to review before the vote scheduled at 10:15.

Judge has now denied the rrestraining order application citing a lack of authority to do so, but says that there are clear violations by the city of various court orders regarding providing documents in time.

So now the vote is scheduled in 10 minutes.  Not sure what they're going to do now.  Glendale attorney did mention in court that the NHL deadline (which Bettman keeps claiming doesn't exist) has already been extended.

Grey Fox

Vote or no vote, I still don't believe anyone is willing to give Jamison 140 mil to buy the team.

For being a city in such a red state, the Glendale city council sure do mingle in everything.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 08, 2012, 12:13:32 PM
Vote or no vote, I still don't believe anyone is willing to give Jamison 140 mil to buy the team.

For being a city in such a red state, the Glendale city council sure do mingle in everything.

Well that's where the stories come together.  If Jamison was having trouble getting investrs before, does the threat of lawsuits make it that much harder to get them?  GWI did come out of court promising a lawsuit based on the lack of timely disclosure.

Neil

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 08, 2012, 12:13:32 PM

You have to wonder who's financing that, eh?  I mean, maybe the playoff run managed to trick some idiot into thinking that with a winning team that the Coyotes could be a going concern.  But a playoff run won't fill the arena for their 40 home games, half of which are pretty meaningless.  Somebody with $140 million to hand off to a certain bankruptcy a few years down the road is pretty foolish.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

So Glendale meeting is going on.  I'm only following 2nd hand discussion of the meeting (since I don't think I should sit at work and watch a video of Glendale City Council) it sounds certain the lease will pass.  Only one councilman is opposed, though he is very opposed.  Curiously Mayor Scruggs is now strongly opposed, but she's a lame duck mayor (and only gets to vote on ties) so she's being ignored.

Reading between the lines from what Jamison said he still does not have the money lined up.

And of course GWI has promised to sue based on the lack of disclosure.  They probably have much better grounds on that basis, but it's impact on whether the team stays or not is uncertain.

Barrister

Wen asked, Jamison refused to say who his investors were. :yeahright:

He also admitted that a portion of the "arena management fee" would go to fund team operations.  Which obviously it would, but they kept pretending it wouldn't.

Valmy

Heh man the people of Glendale are suckers.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

And COG does approve lease to Jamison.

So now we wait to see if GWI sues, and whether or not Jamison can come up with the money.

The thing is it's ridiculously late in the day to move a team, but I'm not sure what happens if Jamison can't close the deal.