News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophie Scholl

Sabres making another 2nd half push for the playoffs?!  :yeah:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Barrister

Anyone see the stories about Saskatoon sniffing around about an NHL team? :shifty:

BB's dirty little secret - I may have been eborn in the Peg, graduated bigh schools, undergrad, and law school in the 'Peg - but most of my school age years were in Toon-town.  And I was there when "Wild Bill" Hunter was trying to bring the Blues to Saskatoon.

I have my doubts, but I wouldn't rule it out...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Zoupa

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on March 03, 2012, 12:22:18 AM

I'd be surprised. They dealt Gaustad, are 5 points back and have a terrible goal differential. It'll be between the Jets and the Caps I think.

PRC

Saskatoon would never work.  Not enough corporate money, could never be sold in TV deals in the states, players would never sign there and would want out... it wouldn't work.

Barrister

Quote from: PRC on March 03, 2012, 12:32:04 AM
Saskatoon would never work.  Not enough corporate money, could never be sold in TV deals in the states, players would never sign there and would want out... it wouldn't work.

TV deals and "players would never sign" could be said about Winnipeg - except whoops - it's one of the league's top franchieses in terms of revenue this year.

Enough corporate money?  That's the rub.  Winnipeg has more corporate HQs than people realize.  But Saskatoon is less than half the size again, and Winnipeg is perhaps the league's smallest market.

It depends on who is showing interest.  Ultimately you knew (if you listened to me) that Winnipeg was for real when Canada's richest man was behind the move - guys like that don't sink their money without an honest belief it will pay off.  If someone with megabucks is willing to put a team in Saskatoon?  Then I believe it could work.  If not - then no, it won't.

There's certainly no shortage of hockey passion in Saskatchewan.

I just wish I still had my "Saskatoon Blues" hat from when I was a kid...

PRC

Quote from: Barrister on March 03, 2012, 12:37:19 AM
TV deals and "players would never sign" could be said about Winnipeg - except whoops - it's one of the league's top franchieses in terms of revenue this year.

Gauge it after three years, after five.  Big money free agents will never sign as free agents in Winnipeg unless they're from Manitoba or if they were drafted by the team and they're re-upping there.  This will be an issue for Winnipeg.  It would be doubly so for Saskatoon.

Barrister

Quote from: PRC on March 03, 2012, 12:56:19 AM
Quote from: Barrister on March 03, 2012, 12:37:19 AM

Gauge it after three years, after five.  Big money free agents will never sign as free agents in Winnipeg unless they're from Manitoba or if they were drafted by the team and they're re-upping there.  This will be an issue for Winnipeg.  It would be doubly so for Saskatoon.

I'm pretty happy with those criteria.  Manitoba produces a hell of a lot of hockey players.  And tell me - how has signing all those free agents turned out for the Leafs?  :cool:

I'm still struggling to reconcile my man-crush on Randy Carlyle with my utter contempt of the Leafs...

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on March 03, 2012, 12:15:08 AM
Hey HVC - your new coach of the Maple Leafs?

Dammit - I might have to start liking the Leafs.  But I'm not sure that's physically possible.  :hmm:
it'll be interesting. but with 18 games to go it'll probably be the same old story. play too well get get a good draft pick, but not well enough to make it to the playoffs. That and now lupul will either suck, or be under played.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on March 03, 2012, 12:22:18 AM

Too bad Miroslav Satan isn't around to stick the dagger in again.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

The CBCs ranting about the Ontario-content of the Leafs is hillarious.  It really reminds me of the crybaby shit that Montreal was doing about the inability of the coach (or Saku Koivu, back in the day) to speak French.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on March 03, 2012, 08:01:11 PM
The CBCs ranting about the Ontario-content of the Leafs is hillarious.  It really reminds me of the crybaby shit that Montreal was doing about the inability of the coach (or Saku Koivu, back in the day) to speak French.

Media's Toronto-centric ranting is always amusing / infuriating.  Doesn't matter is it's CBC, TSN, or Sportsnet - it's all Leafs all the time.  Hell because I tend to tune in to more national broadcasts I probably know more about what is happening with the Leafs than I do my 'hometown' *cough* Oilers.

But more about the team that actually matters - the Winnipeg Jets.  Still in 8th place after handily defeating the Sabers. Man I love these guys.  And I love that I'll finally get to see them this Friday in Calgary in what will be a very meaningful game.   :cool:

Valmy

Man I hate these guys.  The Washington Caps I mean.  I hate that I love them.  Miserable losers.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on March 06, 2012, 11:14:37 AM
Man I hate these guys.  The Washington Caps I mean.  I hate that I love them.  Miserable losers.
:console:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on March 06, 2012, 01:34:42 AM
Quote from: Neil on March 03, 2012, 08:01:11 PM

Media's Toronto-centric ranting is always amusing / infuriating.  Doesn't matter is it's CBC, TSN, or Sportsnet - it's all Leafs all the time.  Hell because I tend to tune in to more national broadcasts I probably know more about what is happening with the Leafs than I do my 'hometown' *cough* Oilers.

But more about the team that actually matters - the Winnipeg Jets.  Still in 8th place after handily defeating the Sabers. Man I love these guys.  And I love that I'll finally get to see them this Friday in Calgary in what will be a very meaningful game.   :cool:
I susbscribed to Sportnets, figuring I could watch some other teams, from time to time.
Whenever the Jets are playing, or the Flames, or the Canucks, I get a message saying it can't be shown on my location... I can only watch the games with the Senators and the Canadiens.  Yuck.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Ed Anger

Speaking of hockey, I'm gonna take the twins to their first hockey game on the 10th, Dayton Gems vs the Bloomington whateverthecallthemselves.

PRAY FOR ME. It's mini stick night, so I may have a concussion the next day.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive