News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Neil on October 09, 2011, 05:54:38 PM
I want the Habs to win 100%, but it'd be nice to see a Winnipeg goal, just to see the crowd cheer a bit.
I always cheer for the Habs ( when they're not facing the leafs :p ). Oh well hopefully BB's tears won't make his turkey too soggy :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on October 09, 2011, 06:38:59 PM
Quote from: Neil on October 09, 2011, 05:54:38 PM
I want the Habs to win 100%, but it'd be nice to see a Winnipeg goal, just to see the crowd cheer a bit.
I always cheer for the Habs ( when they're not facing the leafs :p ). Oh well hopefully BB's tears won't make his turkey too soggy :P

They were tears of joy. :weep:

Seriously - this was the game I've been waiting for for 15 years.  The Jets are back baby! :cool:  No mere on-ice score could take away from that.

I'm glad I had everything PVR'd - I did not get to see nearly enough of the pre-game festivities while I was getting dinner ready.  I did however get to watch every minute of the game itself - all in all my wife is pretty understanding for me disappearing to the basement for 3 hours while we had a house full of guests.

As for the game itself?  It seemed like there were just too many sloppy giveaways - which could perhaps be chalked up to a team facing enormous expectations, and simply trying too hard to please the crowd.  Or it could mean they're just not that good.  Well, we have 81 games to find out.

Now that being said, of all the players I'd expect to score the first Jets goal, Antropov would've been near the last on the list. :hmm:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Zoupa

Antropov would always hurt the Habs when he was playing in Toronto.

Good game for us, but 2 more injuries. All in all, and I say this honestly BB, I don't think the Jets are gonna be that good this year... Who's supposed to score for you guys exactly?

Josephus

I have a feeling the Leafs won't be the worst team in Canada this year  :)
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Zoupa on October 10, 2011, 12:29:45 AM
Antropov would always hurt the Habs when he was playing in Toronto.

Good game for us, but 2 more injuries. All in all, and I say this honestly BB, I don't think the Jets are gonna be that good this year... Who's supposed to score for you guys exactly?

Kane, Ladd, Byfuglien, Scheifele? (if he sticks) -hell maybe Antropov will have a big year again.

All I know is it'll be fun to find out.  Hell it'll even begun to complain about how bad they are again, if it comes to that.

One Josephus - the Leafs haven't been the worst team in Canada for at least two years.The Oilers have been... :shifty:

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on October 10, 2011, 08:49:26 AM
One Josephus - the Leafs haven't been the worst team in Canada for at least two years.The Oilers have been... :shifty:

Hey now!  You cannot have this conversation and not mention the Senators last year.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

The worse team in Canada this year will be the Sens.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on October 10, 2011, 09:08:16 AM

Hey now!  You cannot have this conversation and not mention the Senators last year.

But the Oilers were the worst team in the league two years running!

A fact I do not hesitate to mention to Oilers fans when they talk about how good the team will be this year...

Barrister

Damn it - 4 days till the next Jets game.   :mad:

Hey CCR - which flies faster, a Hawk or a Jet! :menace:

Plus, between Byfuglien, Ladd and Cheveldayoff, we've read your book, you magnificent bastards!  :cool:

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on October 10, 2011, 12:21:09 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 10, 2011, 09:08:16 AM
But the Oilers were the worst team in the league two years running!

A fact I do not hesitate to mention to Oilers fans when they talk about how good the team will be this year...
Yeah, they've been hillariously bad.  The locals were getting a little restless.

They're going to be better this year.  The team I'm afraid for is Calgary.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Calgary has a definite risk of falling off a cliff this year. :mellow:

Now for your daily dose of awesome: in-game opening video from the Jets home opener.  Part hockey game, part Top Gun, part over the top dramatic music.   :cool:

http://video.jets.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=97&id=127237

viper37

I'll watch the vid later.  I was half-expecting you to make the trip to Winnipeg, Barrister...

For the loss, hey, don't be a Habs now :)
Friday night I was with my friend watching one of these sports shows (L'Antichambre, for the Quebec bunch) where they were deeply analyzing the failures of the Habs, what was going on there, how the coach was relying too much on one defenseman (P.K. Subban), how he was too young, blah, blah, blah.

They're always pannicking at the first loss and celebrating the cup at the first win.  Always.  Don't be like that, please :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on October 10, 2011, 04:54:37 PM
I'll watch the vid later.  I was half-expecting you to make the trip to Winnipeg, Barrister...

For the loss, hey, don't be a Habs now :)
Friday night I was with my friend watching one of these sports shows (L'Antichambre, for the Quebec bunch) where they were deeply analyzing the failures of the Habs, what was going on there, how the coach was relying too much on one defenseman (P.K. Subban), how he was too young, blah, blah, blah.

They're always pannicking at the first loss and celebrating the cup at the first win.  Always.  Don't be like that, please :)

Tickets to opening night were going for $2000+ on the black market.  The fact I have a free place to stay has nothing on that price.  No, I'm trying to track down tickets on December 23rd when I'm there for Christmas, and the Penguins visit town.

And I was hardly panicking after one loss. :mellow:

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on October 09, 2011, 11:48:58 PM

Now that being said, of all the players I'd expect to score the first Jets goal, Antropov would've been near the last on the list. :hmm:
Antropov isn't that bad a player. Just cause he was a leaf doesn't mean you have to down play him :p
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on October 10, 2011, 09:52:19 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 09, 2011, 11:48:58 PM

Antropov isn't that bad a player. Just cause he was a leaf doesn't mean you have to down play him :p

He's received a ton of criticism for not playing up to his contract, not showing much enthusiasm on the ice.  Now maybe a move from Atlanta to Winnipeg will recharge him, but I wouldn't have bet on it, is all.

He's our 4th highest paid player at a hair over $4mil per year, but in terms of enthusiasm and expectations he's 11-20.

I'd be happy to be wrong.  Maybe you had to live through the Mike Smith era in Winnipeg to be simultaneously enthused about Swedes (Thomas Steen, Anders Hedberg) and Finns (TEEMU), but dreading Russians (Sergei Bautin and so many others)...