Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on June 07, 2011, 11:43:08 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 07, 2011, 11:41:57 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on June 07, 2011, 09:19:35 AM
Quote from: Valmy on June 07, 2011, 09:18:34 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 06, 2011, 04:03:56 PM
The real issue will be whether they can get all these season ticket holders to renew after a few losing seasons have passed and the euphoria has died down.

Why wouldn't they?  What the hell else is there to do in Winnipeg?

How does Toronto do it?

Lots of corporate seats
Which kills the atmosphere. there is more cheering for away games then home games.

I'm not saying its a good thing.  I am just answering the question.  It also explains why Winnipeg could have a problem - they dont have access to the same corporate ticket buyers

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 07, 2011, 11:45:41 AM
I'm not saying its a good thing.  I am just answering the question.  It also explains why Winnipeg could have a problem - they dont have access to the same corporate ticket buyers

It is basically how the Dallas Stars operate.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on June 07, 2011, 11:41:43 AM
I really do not understand how anyone can actually hate a sports team or a city. to be honest about it. I don't have the energy to be a hockey lover, and a hockey hater. I dislike certain players, teams I guess, but when they play well I always give them props.
It's extremely easy to hate, and it just takes a little thing to get started.  All it took for Vancouver was the shittiness of the fans and the mistreatment of their goalie.  Besides, when Vancouver was spending fifteen years mired in failure, hating them was a source of pleasure, not an effort.  Laughing at someone being punished for their misdeeds (or the misdeeds of their douchey fanbase) is very relaxing.  And there's always Toronto, which is almost as sweet.

No, it's much less rewarding (but occasionally necessary), to hate a team that succeeds with regularity, like the Pittsburgh Steelers or the New England Patriots.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

HVC

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that you were.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

PRC

4 Game suspension for Aaron Rome, rest of the Cup Finals.

crazy canuck

Light in my view.  This kind of crap has to be taken out of the game completely.  Along with all the slashing and other bs after the play ends.

Barrister

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on June 07, 2011, 11:41:43 AM
I really do not understand how anyone can actually hate a sports team or a city. to be honest about it. I don't have the energy to be a hockey lover, and a hockey hater. I dislike certain players, teams I guess, but when they play well I always give them props. If any team other than the Canucks were to win the cup I'd not mind if it was Boston for example. Lots of feel good stories on that team Lucic is from my neighborhood. Recchi is almost my age and still playing pretty good hockey, Thomas is a great goalie.

Hating certain teams is almost as much fun as loving your own team.  It's part of the beauty of sports. :)

For me it's the Oilers.  Last season was beautiful.  :menace:

The Canucks though...  they've just been a non-factor for me for so many years.  Sometimes good, sometimes bad, but never doing anything in the playoffs.  They changed unis so many times it was hard to rememebr who they even were.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

The real issue will be whether they can get all these season ticket holders to renew after a few losing seasons have passed and the euphoria has died down.

How does Toronto do it?

Lots of corporate seats
Which kills the atmosphere. there is more cheering for away games then home games.

Sure they do.

That's how all rinks work these days - the lower bowl is largely corporate tickets.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on June 07, 2011, 12:18:04 PM

How does Toronto do it?

Lots of corporate seats

Sure they do.

That's how all rinks work these days - the lower bowl is largely corporate tickets.

BB, even a rabid fan like you must reconize Winnipeg does not have access to the same corporate dollars as Toronto.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 07, 2011, 12:36:16 PM

BB, even a rabid fan like you must reconize Winnipeg does not have access to the same corporate dollars as Toronto.

I've said all along that Winnipeg doesn't need to be like Toronto.  Obviouslythe ACC is larger, and they sell their tickets for much more money.

But that doesn't take away from the fact that a huge number of tickets in Winnipeg were sold to corporate accounts.  All the premium seats were taken up before the public sale, almost certainly to corporations.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on June 07, 2011, 12:39:56 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 07, 2011, 12:36:16 PM

I've said all along that Winnipeg doesn't need to be like Toronto.  Obviouslythe ACC is larger, and they sell their tickets for much more money.

But that doesn't take away from the fact that a huge number of tickets in Winnipeg were sold to corporate accounts.  All the premium seats were taken up before the public sale, almost certainly to corporations.

Ok so when you said, "sure they do" when I said Winnipeg doesnt have access to the same corporate tickets as Toronto what you really meant to say was, "CC you're right, they dont but that wont matter because they can sell enough corporate tickets to stay profitable".

We shall see if you are right.

PRC

The initial sale was to Manitoba Moose season ticket holders, not necessarily corporations (though sure, some corporations may have had those Moose seats), no?

Barrister

Quote from: PRC on June 07, 2011, 01:04:00 PM

The initial sale was to Manitoba Moose season ticket holders, not necessarily corporations (though sure, some corporations may have had those Moose seats), no?

Moose ST holders, private box owners, and corporate partners.

If you buy advertising in MTSC, if you are the "Official Toilet Paper of the Manitoba Moose", you got advance access.

Barrister

Quote from: Barrister on June 06, 2011, 09:30:21 AM
So the Jets have declined to keep Rick Dudley, and have apparently offered the GM position to Kevin Cheveldayoff, current Assistant GM of the Chicago Blackhawks, and long-time GM of the Chicago Wolves.

CCR, you have any info on this character?

Man, I love being able to discuss actual hockey news about the Jets... :cool:  :cool:   :cool:

Move made official today.

CCR?  CCR?  Paging CCR?

Barrister

There's no official website up yet, but there is...

www.nhl.com/winnipeg/