And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on June 02, 2011, 12:33:28 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 02, 2011, 11:48:20 AM
In one of the few definitive things he has said since Tuesday was that no, they would not bring the picture of the Queen from the old winnipeg Arena back. :(  Grapes seemed upset, but McLean cut him off.  Grapes also pressed him on the "Jets" name.
Canadians and their Monarchs... such a great mistery to me...

Her Majesty hung in the rafters of Winnipeg Arena how a great many number of years.  It's a party of Winnipeg hockey tradition.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

I didnt see the interview.  Sounds like they should have let Grapes dig into the guy a bit.

Grey Fox

Damn, I missed it. Congrats BB.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 02, 2011, 12:36:00 PM
I didnt see the interview.  Sounds like they should have let Grapes dig into the guy a bit.

http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/Sports

June 1st Coach's Corner.  Nah, they had it about right.  Mark Chipman brought back a team to Winnipeg - he deserves not to get pestered by the media for a few days.  Grapes being Grapes he got a few shots off someone else wouldn't be able to, but the balance was about right.

If the name isn't going to be Jets they better announce it soon, as the public pressure is just going to keep growing the longer the team name is up in the air...

Barrister

New Jets have sold 4170 season tickets as of 20 minutes ago.  Just over half of Moose ST holders have been allowed to order.  Tickets don't do on sale to the general public till Saturday.

Should get to 13,000 no problem.  :)

Zoupa

Barrister

Quote from: Zoupa on June 02, 2011, 04:56:52 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 02, 2011, 04:50:06 PM

This year, sure.

They're all 3-5 year commitments. :)

TNSE is being pretty smakrt (in my opinion).  They're trying to create a sense similar to Toronto or Montreal - that if you don't have season tickets, you won't be able to get into games.  They want there to be a waiting list for season tickets, and people to feel like if they give them up, they'll never get them back again.

So far it seems like it's working.  You're right we won't know until at least 2014-2016.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on June 02, 2011, 12:34:53 PM
Her Majesty hung in the rafters of Winnipeg Arena how a great many number of years.  It's a party of Winnipeg hockey tradition.
Nothing wrong with changing traditions once in a while ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Ed Anger

QuoteHer Majesty hung in the rafters

I always knew Liz was a wild child.

No, I'm not reading this thread.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Zoupa

Quote from: Barrister on June 02, 2011, 05:15:33 PM

This year, sure.

TNSE is being pretty smakrt (in my opinion).  They're trying to create a sense similar to Toronto or Montreal - that if you don't have season tickets, you won't be able to get into games.  They want there to be a waiting list for season tickets, and people to feel like if they give them up, they'll never get them back again.

So far it seems like it's working.  You're right we won't know until at least 2014-2016.

3 to 5 years season tickets? Holy shit dude. That's some major cash. I assume it's paid in yearly installments.

viper37

Quote from: Zoupa on June 02, 2011, 05:19:04 PM
3 to 5 years season tickets? Holy shit dude. That's some major cash. I assume it's paid in yearly installments.
Half today, the other half when the pre-season starts, IIRC.  It ranges from 1700$ to 5800$ per year, if I'm not mistaken...  Only the 2 or 3 less costly options are available for half seasons.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: Barrister on June 02, 2011, 05:15:33 PM

This year, sure.

Yup. :)  You sign a contract promising to buy the tickets for 3-5 years (depending on the section).  The price is due each year (though payment plans are available!).

They're being smart, albeit agressive.  They started the season ticket drive in the midst of the press conference announcing the team.  And they're being pretty clear that they need to sell out each and every game (albeit a sellout is 15,000) in order to make this work.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on June 02, 2011, 05:21:49 PM
Half today, the other half when the pre-season starts, IIRC.  It ranges from 1700$ to 5800$ per year, if I'm not mistaken...  Only the 2 or 3 less costly options are available for half seasons.

Not quite.

Desposit today.  Then they will hold that desposit for as long as you have season tickets (no interest).  Then the full amount (with no credit for your deposit) in a couple of months.

Zoupa

It's asking a lot. I think every game would sell out in Canada in any case even with 50% of the arena being season tickets.

jimmy olsen

Weird
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/Oiler+Brule+gave+lift+hitchhiking+Bono/4877705/story.html?cid=dlvr.it-twitter-edmontonjournal
QuoteEDMONTON - Edmonton Oiler Gilbert Brule and his girlfriend picked up an unusual hitchhiker in West Vancouver on Tuesday — U2 frontman Bono.

Brule and girlfriend Kelsey Nichols were driving to a park to walk Bella, their German shepherd, on Tuesday afternoon near the West Vancouver Yacht club when they spotted a couple of hitchhikers on the side of the road.

Brule, watching out the window, was sure one of them was Bono.

Nichols, who was driving, didn't believe him, because, really, why would Bono be hitchhiking in West Van?

"I didn't want to stop, but they waved and G yelled 'that's Bono'," Nichols said Wednesday night at Commonwealth Stadium. "I didn't believe him so I kept driving."

The couple went on, a short distance anyway, all the while Brule trying to convince Nichols to turn around. Eventually, she agreed.

The hitchhikers were still there when they drove up, so they yelled out: "Bono!"

He waved and walked over to their truck.

The Irishman, who indeed was Bono, asked if they could give him and his assistant a lift to Horseshoe Bay. Of course, Brule and Nichols obliged.

Turns out, he and his assistant had gone out for a walk when it started to rain, just before Brule and Nichols happened upon them.

On the drive to Horseshoe Bay, Bono and his assistant sat in the back with the couple's dog. The four chatted about Brule's hockey career, about Dublin and Bono's apparent love for Vancouver.

Bono mentioned that his band was playing a show in Edmonton on Wednesday and asked if they'd like to go.

So Brule and Nichols sold their tickets for Game 1 of the Stanley Cup finals, bought plane tickets (three, so Brule's mom could come too) and flew back to Edmonton, where Brule is a forward for the Oilers.

Bono got them backstage passes to say thanks for the ride.

On Nichols's pass, he wrote: "Thanks for the ride."

On Brule's pass, he wrote: "My hero Gilbert."

It was the strangest thing.

"We go to walk our dog and Bono ends up in our car," Brule said.

Bono paid tribute to the favour onstage during Wednesday's concert.

"I like ice hockey because people who play ice hockey are the kind of people who pick up hitchhikers," Bono told the crowd.

"I'm ever so grateful. I've decided that I want to be Gilbert Brule."
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point