News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Back on to serious matters :)

It's been a while since we had any news about the Coyotes/Jets (Moose? ;) ).  Almost 24hrs have passed.

Coyotes - Goldwater meeting
A meeting that did not solve anything.
"The meeting was disappointing from our perspective," said Clint Bolick, Goldwater's litigation director. "The mayor asked for our concerns and our ideas and we provided a number of concerns and ideas. The city did not seem to be open to the ideas we suggested and the city attorney repeatedly told us he would see us in court."

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyotes/articles/2011/04/21/20110421phoenix-coyotes-glendale-goldwater-meeting.html#ixzz1KGxoXHsG

bad lawyer, bad. ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on April 22, 2011, 12:07:21 PM
bad lawyer, bad. ;)

Busy day in court, was dog tired when I got home so when baby went to bed, so did I. :(

You summed up the pertinent news from yesterday.  Thanks. :hug:

In response, the TSN Jetsmeter moved up yet again.

April 22:

And by the way, the latest rumour is the name will NOT be Moose, but rather... *drumroll*

The Manitoba Jets.  :cool:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

No words from CC or CCR about last night's game. Curious... :hmm:

BuddhaRhubarb

[non lurker status] :cry: [/non lurker status]

ps happy tho if Jets come back.
:p

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on April 22, 2011, 12:20:39 PM
If the Blackhawks win on Saturday, I'll have no choice but to believe.

Also, Luongo is not a good goalie.  What's his save percentage over the last two games?  .700?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Jacob

It's fun being a Canucks fan. You think things are going pretty good, and all of a sudden you get kicked in the nuts. Twice in a row. Or more.

Zoupa

Quote from: Jacob on April 22, 2011, 01:36:53 PM
It's fun being a Canucks fan. You think things are going pretty good, and all of a sudden you get kicked in the nuts. Twice in a row. Or more.

I feel you  <_<

Valmy

Let me just say I have tons of sympathy.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

C.C.R.

Quote from: Barrister on April 22, 2011, 12:20:39 PM

Meh.  The situation is what the situation is.  I'm not going to get excited -- the odds of the Canucks choking four games in a row are astronomical...

Valmy

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on April 22, 2011, 12:31:59 PM
[non lurker status] :cry: [/non lurker status]

ps happy tho if Jets come back.

:)

Buddha! :hug:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: C.C.R. on April 22, 2011, 08:04:45 PMMeh.  The situation is what the situation is.  I'm not going to get excited -- the odds of the Canucks choking four games in a row are astronomical...

You only say that because you're not a Canucks fan or Neil.

Neil

Quote from: Jacob on April 23, 2011, 12:31:46 AM
Quote from: C.C.R. on April 22, 2011, 08:04:45 PMMeh.  The situation is what the situation is.  I'm not going to get excited -- the odds of the Canucks choking four games in a row are astronomical...

Didn't I say that I wasn't going to get excited until game 7?

Of course, that doesn't mean I won't spew my venom at the Canucks every step of the way.  I just won't believe that they'll fail that badly.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

C.C.R.

Quote from: Jacob on April 23, 2011, 12:31:46 AM

No, I say that because I am a Blackhawks fan that hasn't lost sight of Objective Reality...

Barrister

This article is a bit more salacious that the one Viper posted about the Glendale-Goldwater "summit":

QuoteGlendale considers alternate strategy
Could finance sale with reserve funds
By: Gary Lawless

Darcy OLSEN says the cupcakes are tasty.
Mayor Elaine Scruggs says, "You just hate me."
Glendale lawyer Craig Tindall says, "Tell it to the judge."
Gary Bettman says he doesn't know what's going to happen.
Matthew Hulsizer says he has a plane to catch.
True North Sports and Entertainment says nothing.
Winnipeg and its dreams of NHL hockey have been tossed about like a pair of socks in an emotional clothes dryer and the tumbling will likely go on for a little longer. So too, it appears, will the absurdity.
Logic went out the window long ago in this tug of war over the Phoenix Coyotes and now it appears so has civility. A quick listen to the audio from Thursday's now infamous Cupcake Summit between the Goldwater Institute and City of Glendale representatives, including Mayor Scruggs, leaves one laughing, disgusted and dismayed all at once.
Goldwater CEO Olsen left the meeting saying the dainties were "tastier than the conversation," and during the meeting Scruggs looked across the table at Goldwater people and uttered, "I know I make you -- I amuse you, don't I? You have such a look on -- every time I speak, you look at me like I'm -- you just hate me."
Unbelievable as it seems -- this is the level of discourse involved in a major sports franchise transaction.

One can argue that the tail (Goldwater) is wagging the dog (NHL, Glendale and Hulsizer) but the pooch isn't doing much to defend its personal space. In fact, to this point, Goldwater has absolutely spanked its adversary.
There is palpable animosity between Goldwater and Glendale. Even Hulsizer, who is working with Glendale to purchase the hockey team, has grown tired of the city's antics and lack of transparency. Gary Bettman blew the meeting off entirely, offering up the excuse that he "wasn't invited." Neither was Hulsizer, but he crashed the party all the same.
Thursday's sit-down solved nothing but only served to underscore what we already knew, that Goldwater thinks the arrangement between Hulsizer and Glendale is illegal and plans to sue on the grounds the deal contravenes Arizona's gift clause statute.
For its part, Glendale says the deal is legal and plans to forge ahead. Hulsizer says the same thing.
The fly in the ointment is that Glendale now needs to find a new way to finance the deal. Hulsizer is willing to put in $70 million of the NHL's $170 million asking price but requires Glendale to come up with $100 million.
Glendale had planned to sell a bond issue north of $100 million but Goldwater's threat of suit has, in Bettman's words, "chilled the market."
Now, sources involved in the transaction tell the Free Press, Glendale is contemplating dipping into its reserve funds to front Hulsizer the $100 million.
Glendale went to council for a vote last May when it needed to put up $25 million to cover the NHL's operating losses for the 2010-11 Coyotes season and it passed 7-0. Scruggs would likely take a $100-million manoeuvre to council rather than act independently.
Goldwater says it would still have grounds to sue under such a framework.
The other possibility is the NHL digging up more investors to help the deal along and reports say Bettman is working the phones.
Scruggs said on Thursday she only had "three to four days," to close the deal but later recanted saying it was a "flip remark" and she had been given no deadline by the league.
Sure thing, mayor.
Two main forces are at play in the sale of the Coyotes -- want and time.
The want of the NHL, Matthew Hulsizer and the City of Glendale to keep the Coyotes in Arizona pushes from one side.
Shoving just as hard from the other direction is time.
There is precious little of it left for a deal to be reached. After close to two years of working on this transaction, it has come down to this -- close a deal in the coming days to make Hulsizer the new owner or ramp up negotiations with True North.
Pass the cupcakes, this should be interesting.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opinion/columnists/glendale-considers-alternate-strategy-120534179.html

Could we hear some news on Monday / Tuesday? :shifty:

viper37

One of my cousin, who used to live right next to our home is a Canucks fan.  And a Habs fan too, but mainly a Canucks fan.

I think I'll wait a couple weeks before I call him :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.