News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: PRC on April 14, 2011, 12:37:34 AM
Canucks got to an early lead and then sat back a bit... the Blackhawks were pressing hard from the 2nd on but the Nucks held on.  That was a good opening game to a series, i'm happy with the result.

I am worried the Canucks are going to play down to the Hawks' level like they did with Edmonton at the end of the season.  Hopefully the history with the Hawks stokes their fire a bit more in game two.  The problem is now the Hawks think they can play with the Canucks.  The Canucks have to rip out their heart at the beginning of game two.

BB, nobody cares about Winnipeg.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 14, 2011, 11:36:56 AM

Yet you keep feeling the need to say that.

By the way - Detroit is up 1-0... :shifty:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

I care about Winnipeg. Well not Winnipeg per se. Just about having MORE canadian teams in the NHL.

Next Quebec, then Hamilton, then second team for Vancouver, Toronto & Montreal. Make it 12!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 14, 2011, 12:05:11 PM
I care about Winnipeg. Well not Winnipeg per se. Just about having MORE canadian teams in the NHL.

Next Quebec, then Hamilton, then second team for Vancouver, Toronto & Montreal. Make it 12!

Now that's just crazy talk.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on April 14, 2011, 12:08:36 PM

10 years ago, a Team in Winnipeg would have sounded crazy too. Yet, here we are.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 14, 2011, 12:12:22 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 14, 2011, 12:08:36 PM

10 years ago, a Team in Winnipeg would have sounded crazy too. Yet, here we are.

10 years ago it was properly crazy talk.  We had no arena, and no salary cap.

Barrister

Now this is some very interesting news - and not just the same BS re-tweeted from a dozen different sources:

QuoteTruth North expected to trigger campaign for NHL season ticketsBy: Gary Lawless

Posted: 04/14/2011 5:15 PM | Comments: 0

Print E–mail  15 11Share28Report Error Time to put up or shut up.

The next time we hear from True North Sports and Entertainment it likely won't be to announce the return of the NHL to our city but will instead be a call for Winnipeggers to demonstrate their ability to support an NHL team.

Related Items
Polls
Are you ready to pony up for NHL season tickets? Does this city want an NHL franchise and is it willing to pay for it? Are Winnipeggers willing to buy tickets at NHL prices with a long-term financial commitment?

A Winnipeg franchise is not a guaranteed economic success in the minds of many NHL types and it's a certainty the league's board of governors will tell True North, should they get to the point where they are prepared to relocate to Winnipeg, to go to its constituents and ask for a vote of confidence.

Such a cash call could come as early as next week.

True North, in order to satisfy the board of governors, will likely ask Winnipeggers to commit to purchasing season tickets for a minimum of three seasons.

It's unknown how long the community will have to respond but count on a week to sell the vast majority of the MTS Centre's 15,000 seats.

A poor response from the community would likely scuttle True North's attempt to land an NHL franchise.

"There is nothing in the constitution on this," said NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly in an email to the Free Press on Thursday. "Certainly, one of the things the board has to have satisfied is that the market is capable of supporting an NHL team at NHL prices. But that can be done in a variety of ways, depending on the market. There is no one 'cookie cutter' approach here."

It's believed the NHL and True North are working on a deal for partners Mark Chipman and David Thomson to purchase the Phoenix Coyotes from the league should the NHL fail to conclude a deal to keep the team in Arizona.

The NHL bought the team out of bankruptcy in 2009 and has been trying to sell it ever since. The league appears to be at an impasse in Arizona with no buyer willing to pay their asking price of $170 million to keep the team in Glendale, Ariz., at Jobing.com Arena.

Chipman and Thomson are prepared to meet the NHL's asking price and move the team to Winnipeg to play out of the MTS Centre.

The league has been working with Chicago businessman Matthew Hulsizer to keep the team in Glendale but the deal has stalled. The NHL has been patient but appears close to imposing a deadline on the transaction or moving on altogether.

For Winnipeg, the moment of truth may be close at hand.

There will likely be only one crack at gaining an NHL franchise and no time for hesitation if the city truly wants its beloved Jets or an NHL team of another name.

The bald truth of the matter is we are viewed as failures in the NHL boardroom and will have to prove otherwise before they determine that we can be welcomed back into the world's finest hockey league.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/Truth-North-expected-to-trigger-campaign-for-NHL-season-tickets.html

That's a tall order.  Sell out THREE SEASONS WORTH of season tickets - in one week.  Sounds like a movie premise.

It's a shame I can't do anything to support it.  I'll go to games - either in Winnipeg or in Alberta, but I obviously can not contribute to season tickets.  I'll buy merchandise, but that's not what they're asking for.

I think Winnipeg can do it though. :ph34r:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on April 14, 2011, 12:00:48 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 14, 2011, 11:36:56 AM

Yet you keep feeling the need to say that.

Only because you feel the need to post irrelevant material in this thread.

crazy canuck

No chance of a second team in Vancouver.  We have a Major Junior Hockey team and an NHL team.  We couldnt support an NBA team along with an NHL team.  We certainly could support two NHL teams.

Toronto needs a real team so a second team might make a go there.

Montreal.  Doubt there is enough corporate sponsorship for the one team.

Neil

Man.  The Canadians are much better than the Bruins.  Lucic looked like a retard out there, and Price was ultra-clutch.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 12, 2011, 12:34:22 PM
Montreal in 4. Gawd damn it.

:contract:

My real prediction is/was Habs in 5 tho.

Barrister

The Jetsmeter has been quiet recently.

But not today.   :menace:

April 14:

HVC

Can we ban BB until the end of the playoffs? pretty please.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on April 14, 2011, 10:07:50 PM
Can we ban BB until the end of the playoffs? pretty please.

Ban me?  In my moment of triumph?

I think you underestimate my chances. :smoke:

sbr

I would never read this thread if it weren't for following the Coyotes/Jets/Goldwater soap opera it has turned into.  It's not like it's about a real sport.