Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on March 25, 2011, 10:34:49 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on March 25, 2011, 06:04:51 AM
It's all Gomez's fault.
did it finish 7-0 or more?  I hardly think it's the fault of only one player.  Didn't see the game though.

Yeah, 7-0.

It's still his fault. He's a flaky player that doesn't work while taking too much ice time & too much cap space. He's killed every winger he's had this year except PatCHes but Chara took care of him.

I hate the freaking Mexican't.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

PRC

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 25, 2011, 10:54:04 AM
Yeah, 7-0.

It's still his fault. He's a flaky player that doesn't work while taking too much ice time & too much cap space. He's killed every winger he's had this year except PatCHes but Chara took care of him.

I hate the freaking Mexican't.

Careful... katmai will sit on you with that kind of talk.

viper37

This thread has just slipped in 2nd page.  I can not and will not allow that!

More news from the Coyotes :)

12 questions Glendale [and the NHL] should answer:
http://goldwaterinstitute.org/article/5860
1) Hulsizer has offered to sign a non-relocation agreement. Will the NHL sign onto that agreement to guarantee the Coyotes franchise cannot be moved from Glendale even if Hulsizer's company goes bankrupt or the team is sold? If the NHL is not willing to make the guarantee, what prevents the buyer from declaring bankruptcy, as the prior owners did, and allowing the team to be sold to an investor who wants to move the team? If the NHL is not willing to make that guarantee, how would the Hulsizer guarantee be enforced?

2) Has Glendale ever asked Hulsizer or any other prospective buyer to use his own money to buy the team without city debt or backing? Or has the city's negotiating position always been about how much it is willing to provide to the buyer through incentive payments and/or debt? If the city has attempted to get a privately financed buyer for the team, it should provide documentation. Why can't the city simply require that Hulsizer be personally liable for any shortfall of what is needed for full repayment of the $100 million in bonds? Has the city raised that prospect with Hulsizer? If so, the city should provide documentation.

3) The city now claims it has "strong language" to prevent Hulsizer's company from breaking the terms by declaring bankruptcy. What guarantee does the city have? Has he signed a personal guarantee or simply a guarantee through his company, Arizona Hockey Holdings LLC? How can these guarantees be enforced if the company declares bankruptcy unless Hulsizer signs a personal guarantee?

4) The city claims it will lose $500 million in economic activity if the Coyotes leave, a figure that apparently was raised in the bankruptcy case. Who produced that figure and why has the documentation not been released? What is the time frame associated with that figure? Has the city conducted its own analysis of the amount of economic activity directly attributable to the Coyotes? If so, how does it differ from the number used in the bankruptcy proceedings and has that analysis been released?

5) Has the city solicited competitive proposals for management of the arena? Hulsizer is being offered $97 million to essentially manage the arena for a little more than five years. How was that figure derived? Has the city sought proposals from private arena management companies that would be responsible for bringing in events for a far lower sum than is being offered to Hulsizer, or for free in exchange for all or part of the net revenue? If the city has solicited alternative proposals, it should provide documentation.

6) The city has pledged to pay the NHL $25 million to cover the team's losses for this year. Where did the money for that $25 million pledge come from? The documentation should be produced. If it's from general revenues, why is that a better investment for the citizens than averting cuts in police, fire, libraries, etc.? If the money came from a different source such as an enterprise fund, why is retaining the Coyotes more important than other uses of the money?

7) The city is touting parking rights as a revenue stream to repay the $100 million in bonds, yet at this point it's unclear who owns those parking rights now, how they were acquired and whether they are worth $100 million. On what basis does the city claim the parking rights being pledged to repay the bonds are owned by the team, rather than the city?

8) Has Hulsizer made specific, written, contractual guarantees to the city of his latest offer to ensure the arena will generate $75 million over the next 30 years? If there is additional documentation, the city should produce it.

9) Why does the city refuse to meet with the Goldwater Institute, which has met with Glendale officials repeatedly and has offered to hold open discussions with the media present? Why does Glendale refuse to meet on the record? Why has the city not responded to the Institute's March 7 request for a meeting?

10) Why are Glendale taxpayers responsible for paying hundreds of millions of dollars to maintain the viability of shopping centers that were built by private developers? Were those developers not expected to face any risk when they chose to build, especially if their business plan relied so heavily on a team that was already losing money when the arena was built?

11) Why doesn't the city simply offer to rent the arena to the Coyotes in competition with other potential event promoters? If the team is financially viable in Glendale, why does the city need to offer any incentive?

12) The city claims it has four legal opinions concluding the deal is not an illegal subsidy under the gift clause. Are those opinions in writing? If so, why has the city not released them publicly? If they are confidential under lawyer-client privilege, the city can waive that privilege so taxpayers could review the opinions before being asked to invest $197 million in the team. If the city does not have a written legal analysis, how can it proceed with the issuance of bonds without having done the requisite legal research?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jacob

Yo BB, you signed in on Viper's account somehow.

PRC

Quote from: Jacob on March 26, 2011, 12:34:03 AM

Nah... he's just angling for the Nordiques.

viper37

Quote from: PRC on March 26, 2011, 12:43:04 AM
Quote from: Jacob on March 26, 2011, 12:34:03 AM

Nah... he's just angling for the Nordiques.
yes :)  if a team moves to Winnipeg, it means more chances for Quebec to get a team at some point :)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

MadImmortalMan

John McCain jumping into the fray.

Nowicki: McCain intensifies Goldwater criticism

by Dan Nowicki, columnist - Mar. 27, 2011 12:00 AM
The Arizona Republic

U.S. Sen. John McCain has intensified his criticism of the Goldwater Institute for its "disgraceful" refusal to negotiate with Chicago investor Matthew Hulsizer on his pending purchase of the Phoenix Coyotes.

McCain, R-Ariz., told The Arizona Republic Friday that the high-stakes deal is on the verge of collapsing because of what he characterized as "basically blackmailing by the Goldwater Institute."

"It's not their role to decide whether the Coyotes should stay in (the Phoenix area) or not," McCain said of the Phoenix-based, libertarian-leaning watchdog group. "No one elected them."

Glendale hopes to sell bonds to raise $100 million to help Hulsizer buy the Coyotes from the National Hockey League and keep the team playing at the city's Jobing.com Arena. The Goldwater Institute has signaled that it will challenge the arrangement in court as a violation of the Arizona Constitution. Hulsizer responded by guaranteeing that the team will pay Glendale $75 million in revenue over the course of a 30-year arena lease and that he will cover another $25 million that the city agreed to give the NHL to help offset the Coyotes' financial losses.

Goldwater Institute president Darcy Olsen has said the latest overture would not resolve the legal concerns. McCain counters that former Arizona Attorney General Grant Woods, a longtime friend and political ally of his, says it would.

One Goldwater Institute official questioned McCain's stance, given his long crusade against government waste.

"It's disappointing that someone who has made such a career fighting pork in Washington, D.C., is so willing to support the city of Glendale shoveling $100 million into a Chicago businessman's pocket," said Clint Bolick, the institute's litigation director. "We think it's a bit inconsistent. If he wants the Coyotes to stay, he certainly could consider putting together a group that would buy it on terms that are more favorable to the taxpayers of Glendale."

McCain is a well-known fan of the Coyotes and other Arizona pro-sports teams, but he said that's not why he weighed in.

"The point is they are going to lose a thousand jobs," McCain said. "A non-elected organization is going to cause it."

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/local/articles/2011/03/27/20110327nowicki-mccain-intensifies-goldwater-criticism.html#ixzz1HwEaBu4N
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Jacob

American right wing infighting over a hockey team, huh?

Valmy

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 28, 2011, 05:59:20 PM
"The point is they are going to lose a thousand jobs," McCain said. "A non-elected organization is going to cause it."

I was not aware only people in elected office were allowed to speak their opinions in this country.

Anyway:

Caps are awesome.  Tonights game fills me with joy and dreams of a Team of Destiny(tm).  A goal in the last minute to tie and then Ovechkin in overtime.  Hell to the yeah!

Yes I am one sick bastard.  I let the Caps set me up year after year.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Valmy on April 03, 2011, 12:18:59 AM
Caps are awesome.  Tonights game fills me with joy and dreams of a Team of Destiny(tm).  A goal in the last minute to tie and then Ovechkin in overtime.  Hell to the yeah!

:mad:  I was watching the game as well.  I did not walk away happy.  Fucking Sabres.  At least they're staying in contention with Miller out and Enroth in.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

HVC

To bad they didn't lose in regulation <_<
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Neil

The Canucks should feel shame.  Losing to the Oilers?  Perhaps they're practicing for their traditional playoff choke.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

PRC

Quote from: Neil on April 03, 2011, 09:40:58 AM
The Canucks should feel shame.  Losing to the Oilers?  Perhaps they're practicing for their traditional playoff choke.

Just mailing it in.  They've wrapped up the "best in the league" title already so they can coast the rest of the way.

Neil

Quote from: PRC on April 03, 2011, 10:12:57 AM
Quote from: Neil on April 03, 2011, 09:40:58 AM
Just mailing it in.  They've wrapped up the "best in the league" title already so they can coast the rest of the way.
They can coast right on through the playoffs and enjoy getting eliminated in the first round by Chicago.  Let's see what those stupid fucking green men think about that.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on April 03, 2011, 12:18:59 AM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 28, 2011, 05:59:20 PM

I was not aware only people in elected office were allowed to speak their opinions in this country.

Anyway:

they'll finish first.  The Habs will finish last.  And the Habs will eliminate the Caps 4-1.  Meh.  Another bad playoff season is coming for me, I feel it.

Edit: silly mistake.