News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoupa

Even church-going little angels can be violent assholes. Film at 11.

The surefire way to stop a goal when you're that far is to use your stick, WHICH IS LIKE 2 METERS LONG. As soon as he stopped skating he knew what he was gonna do.

The only way to stop dangerous, gratuitous plays is to take what the NHL DoPS sentences and multiply it by 10 (on average).

Barrister

Quote from: Zoupa on June 04, 2021, 03:18:29 PM
Even church-going little angels can be violent assholes. Film at 11.

The surefire way to stop a goal when you're that far is to use your stick, WHICH IS LIKE 2 METERS LONG. As soon as he stopped skating he knew what he was gonna do.

The only way to stop dangerous, gratuitous plays is to take what the NHL DoPS sentences and multiply it by 10 (on average).

Even the DOPS admitted he doesn't have to try to play the puck.  It's perfectly valid to play the body to separate the player from the puck.

You have Scheifele's own words to say why he stopped: Evans was behind the net, he didn't know if he was going to reverse and come around the other way.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on June 04, 2021, 02:08:41 PM
Scheifele speaks to the media this morning.  Says he disagrees with the 4 game suspension but will not appeal as he doesn't want this to be a distraction.

He also commented on how his family (parents and siblings) have been getting harassed and even threatened as a result of the hit.

Pulled some more complete Scheifele quotes from a longer article here:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/jets-scheifele-shows-contrition-defends-record-wake-suspension/

Quote"I could care less about people saying things about me. I'm a big boy, I can handle it. I signed up for this. That's what you put yourself in this situation for. The media scrutiny, whatever that is, I can handle that," said Scheifele. "In a society where you can hide behind a keyboard, that is the problem. I can handle the criticism. I got suspended four games. I got held accountable. But there's no right to go after my parents, to go after my loved ones. That's completely unacceptable. It's bad to say but that's our society.

"My parents are the salt of the Earth. For my parents to get hate like that, and my brother and sister, it's awful. It's pretty gross to see. I can handle it, I'm a grown man But for my family to get that, it hurts me a lot."

"My intention on that play is to try to negate a goal. There's no intent, there's no malice there," said Scheifele. "I don't go in with a frame of mind of injuring a hockey player. My record precedes itself. I think I've had not one charging penalty in 600 games. My thought process there is to cut him off at that post."

As for belief expressed by many — including this writer — that letting up or taking his bottom hand off his stick was a sign he made a conscious decision to focus on the hit and abandon the race to that post, Scheifele offered another theory.

"When he gets behind the net I don't know if he's going to cut back, so I stop moving my feet in case he does a cut-back behind the net and I can re-route, go to the other side and cut him off at the other post," said Scheifele. "He might shallow out in the corner and then I have to gear down and try to angle him off into the corner. My thought process there is cutting him off at the post, and I'm back-checking and my thought process the entire way is there's a minute left in the game, we just scored, it's a one-goal game. My only thought in my mind is to negate a goal and prevent a goal."

"Having a guy hurt is what no one wants in this league, no one wants in this world. Obviously the league made their decision, I don't agree with it, but that's my opinion, what was going through my mind. No one knows what was going through my mind except for myself and I tried to portray that to the league," said Scheifele. "I keep on going back to my record. I think I've had 12 penalty minutes this year. I've had one boarding penalty in my entire 600-game career, I haven't had a charging penalty. I don't think I've had more than 20 frickin' hits a year. So my intention is not to injure or to make a hit, but to prevent a goal.

"That's what my entire life is, that's my job to keep pucks out of the net and score. That's why I'm out there on six-on-five: to prevent a goal and go back the other way and score."

Well, it is the Montreal fan base. We called the police on Chara back in 2011.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

While obviously I didn't like the outcome, but that game was just hard to watch no matter who you were cheering for.

Stolen from Twitter: good luck to whomever has to try and put together a highlight package of that game.

Zoupa

Beeb nous aurait surement expliqué que Chara, dans le fond, c't'un bon gars tsé. Il a pas de dossier, il joue l'homme pas la rondelle, ca ce défend son geste! En plus il sacre meme pas, c'est clair que c'est un ptit ange.

Anyway. 2-0. Série pas mal finie, pis tant mieux.

Barrister

Je ne comprends pas.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Zoupa on June 04, 2021, 10:48:16 PM
Anyway. 2-0. Série pas mal finie, pis tant mieux.

Wo.
WOOOO.

Oublie pas 2006!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on June 04, 2021, 10:50:04 PM
Je ne comprends pas.

Don't worry - it's about you, not addressed to you.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on June 05, 2021, 12:39:19 AM
Je ne comprends pas.

Fuck you and fuck Zoupa.

viper37

Je ne comprends pas.
He links Chara's hit on Max Pac to the one we're discussing now and says you would have approved and defended the guy..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jimZ1tSdPY0
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on June 05, 2021, 12:39:19 AM
Je ne comprends pas.

I gave it 24 hours or so.

I'm still white hot angry about this junior-high-style "Oh we're not talking TO you, we're just talking ABOUT you."

Fuck You Jacob, and Fuck You Zoupa.

KC out.

HVC

Quote from: viper37 on June 05, 2021, 12:43:54 PM
Je ne comprends pas.
He links Chara's hit on Max Pac to the one we're discussing now and says you would have approved and defended the guy..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jimZ1tSdPY0

Which is odd because by moving to other incidents he seems to imply that Montreal was never on the giving side of a dirty hit.

And while I'm not as adamant as BB I do agree that that was pretty childish, zoupa. 
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Zoupa

You guys in the ROC have been raised since birth on Don Cherry. I guess I can't fault you too much when you take the same stances.

Shrugging it off as "well, that's just hockey. Unfortunate incident!". Especially you BB. Wouldn't you want the game and the mentality around it to change before your kids reach the age where body checks are allowed?

As I said, in Evans' case it WILL have lifelong consequences. Chara broke Pacioretty's fucking neck. Literally broke his neck. Zero games suspended, all on the strength of the game's "culture" (lol) and the much touted fact that he had never been suspended before. Which honestly is an incredibly stupid metric.

These offenders are professional players with hundreds of games under their belt. They know that DoPS is a joke, and it definitely factors in to how they play.

HVC

It was a bad hit. He got punished for it. I'm with you there. My comment about you being childish  was about switching French to take a shot at BB knowing he wouldn't understand.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Jacob

Quote from: HVC on June 06, 2021, 03:53:01 AM
It was a bad hit. He got punished for it. I'm with you there. My comment about you being childish  was about switching French to take a shot at BB knowing he wouldn't understand.

I just used google translate.