Dragon Age 2

Started by Scipio, March 07, 2011, 12:11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slargos

Quote from: Martinus on June 11, 2011, 02:42:08 AM
Quote from: Slargos on June 10, 2011, 10:22:22 AM
Quote from: Legbiter on June 10, 2011, 10:14:00 AM
Quote from: Slargos on June 10, 2011, 09:07:58 AM

The one really big criticism I have thus far though is the behaviour of Anders (murdering an innocent mage right in front of you) where it just happens and isn't mentioned again. I would've figured at the time that it would at least give me the option to exorcise his demons and throw him off a cliff, but nothing. Almost a game-breaker.

Huh, my Hawke just talked him out of it. And trust me when I say that at a specific moment in the game you can be very sharp towards Anders for his actions..... :ph34r:

I tried, but it didn't take. He stabbed her right through the heart. And then it's just not mentioned again. Even in the scene after where he's busy sorting stuff I was anticipating some consequence but not even a hint. Really bad writing on that one.

I hope I get to kill him. That action really didn't sit well with me.

Battle my way through a fucking dungeon, spend an hour with the very hairy battle with the Templars (must've gone through it 6 times before I finally started pausing every time an action was possible and detail-control all 4 characters - only battle I've had to do that in so far, on hard difficulty) and the fucker KILLS the bitch we were trying to save. UNACCEPTABLE.

I talked him out of it. Then we fucked. You just don't do it right, it seems.

I dunno, my character fucked the elf chick instead of, you know, a guy. I must be doing SOMETHING right.

Even though I've always had the niggling feeling that inter-species frolicing is just wrong. The elves probably deserve to be enslaved, and it's deeply immoral to fuck slave girls.

Slargos

What in the mother FUCK.

Shoddy, shoddy writing.

I've been confronting the Templars at every opportunity, only playing along when absolutely necessary.

We've almost come to blows several times.

I've supported the mages every time I could, aside from the odd lunatic blood made.

Yet somehow, the faction that wants to depose Meredith thinks it's a good idea to kidnap Carver.

Why?

I had them all executed. Fucking assholes.

If this were Fallout, I would've started killing everyone on general principle, because the odds would be too good that they're clueless idiots aswell.

Thank GOD I didn't pay for this game.  :rolleyes:

Cecil

Quote from: Slargos on June 11, 2011, 11:18:12 PM

Thank GOD I didn't pay for this game.  :rolleyes:

Yeah hearing a lot of that. Consolification ftw.

Remember everytime you push a button something AWESOME has to happen. BUTTON = AWESOME.  ;)

Slargos

In the end, I think my biggest beef is that it didn't really feel like an RPG, but more like one of those old-timey "choose your adventure" style of books.

- Go from point A to point B which is clearly marked on your map, don't listen to any of the dialogue or consider the scenery because it doesn't matter.
- Kill enemy waves at destination, pick up object.
- Repeat x infinity.

Most of the time you don't even need to look at anything but the map and you certainly don't have to think too much. At ONE point in the game I was confused about where the objective was and had to run around for a while to find it.

The dialogue was forced at many points, and choice was just an illusion most of the time.

MadImmortalMan

I wish I could just kill Carver myself. It's such a dumb fucking name. It is supposed to be a pun? Should I call my next axe-wielding dwarf Chopper Hawke?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Slargos

Grallon

Meh downloaded the demo - got a dll error - removed the demo.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

garbon

Quote from: Grallon on June 14, 2011, 06:20:52 PM
Meh downloaded the demo - got a dll error - removed the demo.

G.

Pobrecita.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

So yeah, playing this now. I'm in Kirkwall, and doing the "join the expedition" quests. I like it so far. The interface is fugly compared to DA:O, and the combat and inventory management system are more streamlined (or dumbed down if you loved DA:O's systems). I like the story within a story setting.

Glad to have ME's dialogue wheels.

I like the design and look of Kirkwall, but why the fuck didn't the new lords remove the uber-depressing slave iconography everywhere? Dromund Kaas in SWTOR was more cheerful. :P

I try to judge the game on its own merits. Its gameplay design differs differs quite a bit from DA:O, though, and I can understand why many fans of the first part were so disappointed.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Scipio

If you just take it as it comes, it's pretty damn enjoyable.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Syt

Yeah, that's what I figure. My understanding is that all three titles are set in the same world and tell epic stories, but that their means of doing so differ a fair bit. As a player I'm more interested in the narrative and don't mind the changes in game play or mechanics too much if they work well enough.

I love the game's logic, though (and that goes for many RPGs): I'm currently fighting using an axe I found in a chest in a brothel, and a shield I found in an alley. No actually, in a barrel in an alley.

1. Why was I allowed to take that axe in the brothel? Did one of the hookers say, "Sure, just go ahead?"
2. Why was the shield in a barrel? When I think "means of storage for shields," barrels aren't the first thing that spring to mind. I know, someone might have put it there to hide it, but it seems such a commonplace thing to store random things in barrels in this world, that I doubt the logic behind it.

I loved SF Debris' little quibble that in DA:O you can try to shame Bodahn for stealing from the dead in the Deep Roads, while you spend most of the game killing people and then immediately searching through their pockets for spare change. As he said, RPGs have a murder based economic system.  :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Well DA:2 can't really be described as particularly epic. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.