News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Great Union-Busting Thread

Started by Admiral Yi, March 06, 2011, 01:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 10, 2011, 06:05:19 PM
Unions are the last bulwark against exploitation in our capitalist society. 

Lol.  In many cases, the union leaders are the exploiters.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 10, 2011, 05:31:19 PM
Actually, the labor movement in Wisconsin spawned worker's compensation, unemployment compensation, the 8 hour work day, and the 40 hour work week.  Only took 7 labor deaths shot by state militiamen in 1886 to give you your Saturday off.

Ungrateful fucks.

In the 21st century I'm supposed to support an institution that did something relevant for me in the 19th century? :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on March 10, 2011, 07:28:41 PM
Actually, the labor movement in Wisconsin spawned worker's compensation, unemployment compensation, the 8 hour work day, and the 40 hour work week.  Only took 7 labor deaths shot by state militiamen in 1886 to give you your Saturday off.

Ungrateful fucks.

In the 21st century I'm supposed to support an institution that did something relevant for me in the 19th century? :huh:
Where would you be without slave trade, you ingrate?

Habbaku

If unions were still as large as they used to be, garbon wouldn't be able to get a job.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on March 10, 2011, 07:30:51 PM

And slavery was eventually put off to pasture. It's existence now would certainly harm me.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habbaku on March 10, 2011, 07:34:20 PMIf unions were still as large as they used to be, garbon wouldn't be able to get a job.

That doesn't sound like an anti-union statement.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on March 10, 2011, 07:35:57 PM

And slavery was eventually put off to pasture. It's existence now would certainly harm me.

lol, 650,000+ dead a "pasture".

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 10, 2011, 07:36:31 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on March 10, 2011, 07:34:20 PMIf unions were still as large as they used to be, garbon wouldn't be able to get a job.

That doesn't sound like an anti-union statement.

Big Poppa don't get all bent out of shape.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 10, 2011, 07:37:48 PM

Oh that war that was started because Lincoln wanted to free all the slaves? :hmm:

DGuller

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on March 10, 2011, 07:42:36 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 10, 2011, 07:37:48 PM

Oh that war that was started because Lincoln wanted to free all the slaves? :hmm:

After a while, yes.

Neil

Quote from: Savonarola on March 10, 2011, 10:44:44 AM
The problem with Wisconsinites is that they think small.  By undoing 50 years of civil rights all they've accomplished is the need to build twice as many lavatories and drinking fountains.  If they undid 150 years of civil rights they could kidnap black people and man the civil service with slave labor.

Ungrateful fucks.
Everyone alive in 1886 is dead today.  There is noone left to be grateful to.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

I wonder what kinds of hours we would be working now if it weren't for the labor unions.

MadImmortalMan

I think we should standardize the 3-day weekend.  :)
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Habbaku

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 10, 2011, 08:11:00 PM
I wonder what kinds of hours we would be working now if it weren't for the labor unions.

Something very similar to what we're working now.  Henry Ford supported a 40-hour workweek without being whined at by unions.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien