News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Sengoku

Started by garbon, March 06, 2011, 11:19:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drakken

Quote from: garbon on August 22, 2011, 10:24:25 AM
I don't think his examples of ridiculous questions would seem ridiculous to most people...let alone hilarious. :P

Maybe not to you whose knowledge of Japanese history is lacking, but this kind of question is akind to asking whether John Wilkes Booth was Abraham Lincoln's lover and he killed him in a fit of jealousy, or whether Robert E. Lee was a woman crossdressing as a man, just because we'd see this parroted as "history" in, say, a stupid children Sunday cartoon on Fox, a play, or in Birth of a Nation.

I wouldn't go on Axis History Forum asking whether Hitler's hate was really so strong kind people would melt just by him looking at them, because I've seen it on Captain Planet... although doing it to piss these crypto-Nazis off might be fun.

garbon

Quote from: Drakken on August 22, 2011, 12:26:24 PM
I don't think his examples of ridiculous questions would seem ridiculous to most people...let alone hilarious. :P

Maybe not to you whose knowledge of Japanese history is lacking, but this kind of question is akind to asking whether John Wilkes Booth was Abraham Lincoln's lover and he killed him in a fit of jealousy, or whether Robert E. Lee was a woman crossdressing as a man, just because we'd see this parroted as "history" in, say, a stupid children Sunday cartoon on Fox, a play, or in Birth of a Nation.

I wouldn't go on Axis History Forum asking whether Hitler's hate was really so strong kind people would melt just by him looking at them, because I've seen it on Captain Planet... although doing it to piss these crypto-Nazis off might be fun.

My point was that most people lack that specific knowledge. :contract:

And really your last Hitler example is ridiculous as it's not even possible. The Lincoln examples are at least in the realm of possibility for people who don't really know anything about them.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: Valmy on August 22, 2011, 09:37:20 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 22, 2011, 09:34:15 AM
Hahaha...:mellow:

:huh:

Gotcha.  I had no idea who the people were that Drakken was talking about so I had no idea if that was hilarious or not.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Parading your complete ignorance of Japanese history is cool these days? I'm getting old.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Drakken on August 22, 2011, 09:31:43 AM
You'd love the Samurai Archives forum. From time to time they get a wannabee that wants to learn more about history because he loves Sengoku Warriors games and Anime, and asks completely silly questions based on these (like "was Akechi Mitsuhide the lover of Oda Nobunaga?" or "Was Uesugi Kenshin in reality a woman?"). Oh boy they get trashed good.  :lmfao:

So basically it is a place where people come innocently seeking knowledge and understanding, and are mocked and flamed for their trouble?
While the model seems familiar, it doesn't say good things IMO about a forum that is proclaiming to seek historical knowledge.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on August 22, 2011, 04:37:00 PM
Parading your complete ignorance of Japanese history is cool these days? I'm getting old.

Clearly not that old if you are caring about what is cool.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HisMajestyBOB

I was going to register on those forums to ask about the role of giant crabs in Japanese history, but I guess now I'll look elsewhere.  :rolleyes:
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Ed Anger

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on August 22, 2011, 08:31:49 PM
I was going to register on those forums to ask about the role of giant crabs in Japanese history, but I guess now I'll look elsewhere.  :rolleyes:

They sank the mongol fleet!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on August 22, 2011, 04:37:00 PM

No I would like to learn more about it.

But then I am not cool nor ever claimed to be.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Been reading a lot about the Sengoku period lately. I feel like I know a lot more now. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Zanza

I think I'll try this. Let's see if it worth it.

Josquius

I am interested but the tiny map is somewhat offputting.
██████
██████
██████

Drakken

The map's bigger than Japan in the most recent Nobunaga's Ambition games (yes, the Japanese ones).  :mellow:

Tamas

Needless to say, I will sucker into buying this as well.

My reasoning to cover my weakness is as follows:

-it is labelled CK in Japan
-Rome already had a much improved version of the character system, except that you played a country which kinda' boinkered it. It is more about clans again here, supposedly

Josquius

Quote from: Drakken on September 07, 2011, 08:28:58 AM
The map's bigger than Japan in the most recent Nobunaga's Ambition games (yes, the Japanese ones).  :mellow:
Never played that game (its in English?).
But...I don't see how that makes a map not small. Looking at the screenshots Japan isn't all that much bigger than Japan in regular paradox games. Just because the setting of a game is smaller doesn't mean the map should be smaller too, they could have went majorly zoomed in, have a Japan which is the world. Which indeed it is here.
██████
██████
██████