News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Sengoku

Started by garbon, March 06, 2011, 11:19:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaCroix

Quote from: Faeelin on August 14, 2011, 09:56:16 PMThis sounds great, but these are the guys who sold an expansion pack based on the Japanese Equivalent of the Carolingians seizing the French throne in 1453.

looks like a quarter of that forum's posts are made by drakken. "most accurate ancient japanese video game," might actually be correct given some of what comes out of japan these days  :P

Josquius

Quote from: Faeelin on August 14, 2011, 09:56:16 PM
Quote from: Drakken on August 10, 2011, 09:42:14 PM
I know one of the beta testers, who is an amateur academic and a main contributor to the Samurai Archives website. He has played or tested next to all recent board wargames AND computer games on Japanese history whose setting lay before the Meiji era, even those found in Japan and in Japanese language, and he said that it was the most historically accurate video game about feudal Japan he has ever played. If he vouches for it, it's because it's true, because contributors to the SA site don't tolerate bullshit about Feudal Japan history fed by vgames and anime crap.

Being that I am interested in the era as well, I cant wait for its release. This certainly promises not to be a Shogun 2 : Total War.

This sounds great, but these are the guys who sold an expansion pack based on the Japanese Equivalent of the Carolingians seizing the French throne in 1453.
I've read this several times but I still don't get what you're talking about. Explanation?
██████
██████
██████

Faeelin

Quote from: Tyr on August 19, 2011, 10:28:30 PM
Quote from: Faeelin on August 14, 2011, 09:56:16 PM
Quote from: Drakken on August 10, 2011, 09:42:14 PM
I know one of the beta testers, who is an amateur academic and a main contributor to the Samurai Archives website. He has played or tested next to all recent board wargames AND computer games on Japanese history whose setting lay before the Meiji era, even those found in Japan and in Japanese language, and he said that it was the most historically accurate video game about feudal Japan he has ever played. If he vouches for it, it's because it's true, because contributors to the SA site don't tolerate bullshit about Feudal Japan history fed by vgames and anime crap.

Being that I am interested in the era as well, I cant wait for its release. This certainly promises not to be a Shogun 2 : Total War.

This sounds great, but these are the guys who sold an expansion pack based on the Japanese Equivalent of the Carolingians seizing the French throne in 1453.
I've read this several times but I still don't get what you're talking about. Explanation?

EU3, Divine Wind, reduces the Sengoku to  three dynasties, at least one of which (I forget which three were in it, but remember this) was not a significant player. It had three diplomacy options, and basically sucked balls.

This was their last "asian focused mod." So color me skeptical.

Tamas

Well yeah however, Japan is a big deal to nerds in their 20s and younger, and as I understand, it is the Timmay of Paradox (in terms of japanophilia) who is doing the game.

Syt

The good thing about games based on this period is that there's not really that much authoritative literature about it in the west, leave alone general knowledge of the events. So devs can get away with more inaccuracies then others.

Unlike WW2 where you'll have three dozen self proclaimed experts who will argue their points how a June 1944 Pz Division had 12, not 6 field kitchens and that the angle of the T-34's armor is 1.4 degrees off.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Quote from: Faeelin on August 19, 2011, 11:29:35 PM
EU3, Divine Wind, reduces the Sengoku to  three dynasties, at least one of which (I forget which three were in it, but remember this) was not a significant player. It had three diplomacy options, and basically sucked balls.

This was their last "asian focused mod." So color me skeptical.
Aha.
Well...in Divine Wind's defence EU has always over simplified and sucked at representing the internal politics of individual nations.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

I mentioned it in the book thread but for any non-expert interested in the Sengoku period I recommend George Sansom's A History of Japan 1334-1615. I've only gotten to the 1360s yet but it's pretty nice. I looked for a general history of the period for years before I found it.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on March 10, 2011, 03:30:07 PM
Quote from: Tamas on March 06, 2011, 12:15:14 PM
Here is the thing: the premise of having a CK-ish game in a somewhat different enviroment is good. But, the theme is EXTREMELY overdone, even without releasing it at the time when the major bugs of the Shogun 2 game will be patched.

EXTREMELY overdone? Really?

Yeah besides that Total War game...what exactly?

But maybe that is all Asian History deserves :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on August 20, 2011, 02:32:19 AM
Well yeah however, Japan is a big deal to nerds in their 20s and younger, and as I understand, it is the Timmay of Paradox (in terms of japanophilia) who is doing the game.

Frankly I know next to nothing about Japanese History.

They had an Emperor with no power and a bunch of sects who fought alot...and once the Mongols tried to invade but got Medina-Sidona'd.

Do these nerds really know anything about actual Japanese History and not the Anime version where every Shogun was a 14 year old ninja-Samurai with weird colored hair?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Drakken

Quote from: Valmy on August 22, 2011, 09:23:52 AM
Do these nerds really know anything about actual Japanese History and not the Anime version where every Shogun was a 14 year old ninja-Samurai with weird colored hair?

No. They get baffled when told that Turnbull is a hack and a plagiarist, because it's what they read to convince themselves this is history.   <_<

You'd love the Samurai Archives forum. From time to time they get a wannabee that wants to learn more about history because he loves Sengoku Warriors games and Anime, and asks completely silly questions based on these (like "was Akechi Mitsuhide the lover of Oda Nobunaga?" or "Was Uesugi Kenshin in reality a woman?"). Oh boy they get trashed good.  :lmfao:

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

LaCroix

Valmy

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on August 22, 2011, 09:37:20 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 22, 2011, 09:34:15 AM
Hahaha...:mellow:

:huh:

I don't think his examples of ridiculous questions would seem ridiculous to most people...let alone hilarious. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.